• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any one in the Killeen area

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
Anyone on here living in the Killeen/Ft. Hood area? Anyone into shooting matches, IDPA for example? Always looking for someone to hit up the ranges. There is a new one down in Liberty Hill that has a great set up for some tactical shooting. Long guns and pistols.

JD

jecsd1

I work in Killeen. Post some more info/details. What's the name of the new range in Liberty Hill?

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
Hey guys,

Waco isn't to far but bit of a drive to link up and shoot in the Killeen area ranges. If intersted in joining up for a IDPA match in Temple, let me know. Never did one but have been meaning to go watch one. Can't recall the range there but there is one in Temple that does IDPA stuff.

The range in Liberty Hill is called "Best of the West". I have a pic on the phone that I can send to a phone number if you PM me. It is a really nice facility, 20 bucks and you shoot all day. Closed on Mon-Tues and some weekends are limited to matches but I call ahead and make sure I can shoot the 1000 yrs lanes.

They require you to qual on a 250 and 500 yrd before being able to shoot the long stuff. I think it is 6 shots on 6 inch plate at both 250 and 500. That will count for that weapon, any other time visit with new weapon you will need to qual again. The range officer considered me good after the 3rd shot at both distances. If you don't want to shoot the 750-1000 distance then no qual is needed. They have a few tactical bays/3 sided berms with pepper poppers/larue targets and any target you can put up. Big boy rules apply, there is no one on the tactical bays over your shoulder, you can draw from the holster and shoot and move. The range officer is mostly on the rifle part of the range.

Truly a very nice place, always loved shooting at Stans but this is 5 star compared to Stans, not to mention the distance you can shoot. The shooting tables are cement forms and metal folding chairs. You can shoot from the prone postion also.

The only down side I feel worth mentioning was the 100 zero lanes., although nice, I felt better at Stans zeroing a scope or testing some handloads. I would show up at BOTW dialed in and see how you might like the 100 yrd lane while there. If just testing some loads I pay 10 at Stans and drive less distance and accomplish what I wanted. At BOTW you need the range safety to call cease fire to go look at your 100yrs shots, Stans you just ask some pistol guys to hold for a sec and walk down.

I am good for Sun if anyone is interested. Bringing the Savage Mod 10FCP, XDM 9 and XD Sub 40. They are having a Larue show in OCT. Shoot their stuff and maybe win a Larue rifle.

Am I breaking some rules with this post?

Hit me up with a PM, currently in SC for some business, next week in AZ but home on the weekends, lets shoot.

John