• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster cant... who made the FBI the standard?!?

Metalhead47

Looking around for a good-quality holster for my Tanfoglio... seems everyone & their brother only make "FBI cant" style holster with the grip-forward angle. Am I the only person on the planet who thinks the human wrist was never meant to bend like that? I'd like to find something that was straight up & down, or ideally slightly muzzle-forward, but I can't find a durn thing. Wearing my gun about where my wallet would be just is not comfortable for me. :uhoh:

xxx.jakk.xxx

I currently use a BlackHawk CQC Serpa for my XDM 40. It comes with a Hip Paddle and a Belt Attachment and it is adjustable. It can be tilted forward, back and straight up and down. The only downside of it is that it seems to stick out and get in the way a lot more than any leather holster I've seen.

Trigger Dr

To the best of my knowledge, the "cant" was based upon the slight forward bend at the waist when reaching to acquire the grip. The forward bend allows the firearm to be carried at a higher position on the hip and the forward cant helps the draw. I carried that way for over 27 years. It may seem a little "different" at first but one gets accustomed quickly.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Why, the FBI, of course. They were the authoritay on everything cool back in the day. Kinda like "special operators" today.

Heh. If the FBI done it, it must be good. Right?

After all that sarcasm, I do have to say having some forward tilt does make it a little easier to get a grip and draw from the high positioning where the triggerguard is at the belt line.

rotty

I currently use a BlackHawk CQC Serpa for my XDM 40. It comes with a Hip Paddle and a Belt Attachment and it is adjustable. It can be tilted forward, back and straight up and down. The only downside of it is that it seems to stick out and get in the way a lot more than any leather holster I've seen.

I have 3 of the same holster and LOVE the versatility of them. I was shocked to see how well it retains and being able to try all different positions was key for me. I did not have the same issues with it sticking out until I put the paddle on it.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I have 3 of the same holster and LOVE the versatility of them. I was shocked to see how well it retains and being able to try all different positions was key for me. I did not have the same issues with it sticking out until I put the paddle on it.

Yeah, I always wear it with the paddle. I've learned to walk with it and not run in to much over the past year, though. Also, if anyone is finding the hip paddle a bit uncomfortable, try taking a small piece of neoprene (I got mine from a $3 wetsuit from St. Vincent's) and cutting it to fit then use some medical tape to attach it to the paddle. It gives you a bit of cushion and the tape is cloth and sticks well.

DCKilla

Yeah, I always wear it with the paddle. I've learned to walk with it and not run in to much over the past year, though. Also, if anyone is finding the hip paddle a bit uncomfortable, try taking a small piece of neoprene (I got mine from a $3 wetsuit from St. Vincent's) and cutting it to fit then use some medical tape to attach it to the paddle. It gives you a bit of cushion and the tape is cloth and sticks well.

I'm not too fond of the paddle. To me, it seems to clamp on so tite that it's a pita to remove the holster. That's a good thing for retention, but for everyday use, no thanks. I stuck with the belt loop option. I'm glad that Blackhawk gave the user two options.

amlevin

Looking around for a good-quality holster for my Tanfoglio... seems everyone & their brother only make "FBI cant" style holster with the grip-forward angle. Am I the only person on the planet who thinks the human wrist was never meant to bend like that? I'd like to find something that was straight up & down, or ideally slightly muzzle-forward, but I can't find a durn thing. Wearing my gun about where my wallet would be just is not comfortable for me. :uhoh:

Contact Dave Workman.

http://www.danddgunleather.com/

He not only writes but also is a holster maker. He can make it to whatever cant you want. Be prepared to pay more than an Off The Shelf holster but not all that much more than a good Galco, Safariland, or Bianchi.

SargentMac

Reviews I've read say that the XDm doesn't fit correctly in the regular XD holster. I've heard of them actually coming out of the holster under some circumstances.

I'd heard something about a little forward/rearward movement, but that it was minor and did not affect retention. Take your XDm into your local shop and try it out. Then let us know how it goes.

amlevin

I'd heard something about a little forward/rearward movement, but that it was minor and did not affect retention. Take your XDm into your local shop and try it out. Then let us know how it goes.

It's not uncommon for a little of this movement to be present with the serpa, or for other kydex holsters as well. I have a Serpa for my Sig and a Blade-Tech for my CZ. Both exhibit this for/aft wobble. It was really bad with an uncle mike's kydex I bought for my Sig but I used a heat gun to put a couple of "dimples" where the top of the slide fit. One on each side of the front sight groove. Tightened it right up without changing the rest of the holster's features. When doing this patience is important. Don't heat the kydex too fast.

Leatherneck

Update...
Tried out the Blackhawk Serpa on my XDm today. It is SLOPPPPY! Reason being, the XD slide is squared off and the XDm slide is tapered toward the top, so it doesn't fit nice and snug like the XD does.

Went with the Blackhawk pancake.

amlevin

Why, the FBI, of course. They were the authoritay on everything cool back in the day. Kinda like "special operators" today.

Heh. If the FBI done it, it must be good. Right?

After all that sarcasm, I do have to say having some forward tilt does make it a little easier to get a grip and draw from the high positioning where the triggerguard is at the belt line.

"Borrowed" this from a holster maker's website. It gives an explanation of the "why". It was most likely adopted by the FBI as one of their "standards" for approved holsters.

"1) An angled cant, such as the "FBI", is most common on holsters worn behind the hip on the strong side. This angle puts the grip of the gun "into" the small of the back and offers better concealment, superior comfort and matches the arms natural range of motion while drawing the weapon from this location. This assists in a smoother and faster draw."