• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster cant... who made the FBI the standard?!?

Adam Cook

I'm not too fond of the paddle. To me, it seems to clamp on so tite that it's a pita to remove the holster. That's a good thing for retention, but for everyday use, no thanks. I stuck with the belt loop option. I'm glad that Blackhawk gave the user two options.

For extra retention when using the belt loop: Belt through 1 slot on serpa, next through belt loop on pants and then through last slot on serpa

DCKilla

For extra retention when using the belt loop: Belt through 1 slot on serpa, next through belt loop on pants and then through last slot on serpa
Thanks for the heads up, but I've found the errors of my ways and switched to the paddle. It holds the pistol closer to the body and doesn't flop around.

And you dug up a 3 year old thread.:eek: May this thread again R.I.P.

amlevin

Why, the FBI, of course. They were the authoritay on everything cool back in the day. Kinda like "special operators" today.

Heh. If the FBI done it, it must be good. Right?

After all that sarcasm, I do have to say having some forward tilt does make it a little easier to get a grip and draw from the high positioning where the triggerguard is at the belt line.

When you send out "spec's" to buy a couple thousand holsters I guess you have the right to "set the standard".

I actually like the design but opinions vary.

sirpuma

To the best of my knowledge, the "cant" was based upon the slight forward bend at the waist when reaching to acquire the grip. The forward bend allows the firearm to be carried at a higher position on the hip and the forward cant helps the draw. I carried that way for over 27 years. It may seem a little "different" at first but one gets accustomed quickly.

+1

The point of the cant is that when you are taking the aggressive stance (step forward and lean forward) then the holster is at the proper angle for drawing. It also has the added benefit of making it very difficult for someone to come up behind you and pulling your firearm.

WalkingWolf

+1

The point of the cant is that when you are taking the aggressive stance (step forward and lean forward) then the holster is at the proper angle for drawing. It also has the added benefit of making it very difficult for someone to come up behind you and pulling your firearm.

The cant also has to do with vehicle carry for officers. The cant allow the gun to be carried comfortably in a vehicle while still allowing draw from the vehicle. Actually a reverse cant is much faster and more comfortable draw but is not practical in a vehicle. Reverse cant puts the gun but against the seat firmly making draw almost impossible. Straight up is not much better. Forward cant also makes a gun grab more difficult from behind.

I believe at one time LA county sheriff's dept was issuing a reverse cant holster for some officers. Many of those have shown up on the surplus market.

http://www.usafirst.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/IMG_9618-640x960.jpg

Eeyore

Um, no

Why, the FBI, of course. They were the authoritay on everything cool back in the day. Kinda like "special operators" today.

Heh. If the FBI done it, it must be good. Right?

It's my understanding that in this context "FBI" stands for "forward body inclination", not "Federal Bureau of Investigation." And while the cant may be set on leather holsters, SERPAs and many IWB hybrids allow you to adjust the cant within a range.

For me, forward cant is the only way to go with the holster at the 4 o'clock position for several reasons:

1. It puts the grip in a position that's easier and faster to draw, since the drawstroke is both up and forward instead of straight up into the armpit.
2. A vertical cant places the beavertail close to the body, but the butt can stick out considerably, resulting in "printing.". The forward cant allows the butt to be closer to the body, aiding in concealment.

But if it doesn't work for you, there are plenty of vertical or crossdraw holsters out there.

FreeInAZ

It's my understanding that in this context "FBI" stands for "forward body inclination", not "Federal Bureau of Investigation." And while the cant may be set on leather holsters, SERPAs and many IWB hybrids allow you to adjust the cant within a range.

For me, forward cant is the only way to go with the holster at the 4 o'clock position for several reasons:

1. It puts the grip in a position that's easier and faster to draw, since the drawstroke is both up and forward instead of straight up into the armpit.
2. A vertical cant places the beavertail close to the body, but the butt can stick out considerably, resulting in "printing.". The forward cant allows the butt to be closer to the body, aiding in concealment.

But if it doesn't work for you, there are plenty of vertical or crossdraw holsters out there.

"Printing" You do know this is a OPEN CARRY forum right? J/k :p

I suspect we have many CC advocates here often...cool I guess? :confused: