Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: UW Campus question

  1. #1
    Regular Member BROKENSPROKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County
    Posts
    2,187

    UW Campus question

    I believe that anyone that can legally OC can do so on UW Campus property, but not within any of the buildings, unless you are a student or employee.

    Am I correct?

  2. #2
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Green Bay
    Posts
    232
    yeah. but why would you want to? scare off all the young honeys there. Hey, I'm single, I can still think this way.

  3. #3
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    I believe that anyone that can legally OC can do so on UW Campus property, but not within any of the buildings, unless you are a student or employee.

    Am I correct?
    There is a UW administrative rule prohibiting unauthorized weapons on all UW grounds. I'll find it for you.

  4. #4
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    UWS 18.10(3) (UW Administrative Code)

    (3) DANGEROUS WEAPONS. (a) No person may carry, possess
    or use any dangerous weapon on university lands or in university
    buildings or facilities, except with the written approval of the chief
    administrative officer or for law enforcement purposes.
    (b) No person may display or portray as real any object that
    resembles a dangerous weapon on university lands or in university
    buildings or facilities, except with the written approval of the
    chief administrative officer.
    (c) Dangerous weapons in violation of this subsection may be
    confiscated and removed from university lands by police.
    (d) In this subsection, the term “dangerous weapon” has the
    meaning specified in s. 939.22 (10), Stats.

    and the penalty:

    UWS 18.13 Penalties. Unless otherwise specified, the
    penalty for violating any of the rules in ss. UWS 18.06 to 18.12
    shall be a forfeiture of not more than $500, as provided in s. 36.11
    (1) (c), Stats.

  5. #5
    Regular Member BROKENSPROKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    (3) DANGEROUS WEAPONS. (a) No person may carry, possess
    or use any dangerous weapon on university lands or in university
    buildings or facilities, except with the written approval of the chief
    administrative officer or for law enforcement purposes.
    (b) No person may display or portray as real any object that
    resembles a dangerous weapon on university lands or in university
    buildings or facilities, except with the written approval of the
    chief administrative officer.
    (c) Dangerous weapons in violation of this subsection may be
    confiscated and removed from university lands by police.
    (d) In this subsection, the term “dangerous weapon” has the
    meaning specified in s. 939.22 (10), Stats.

    and the penalty:

    UWS 18.13 Penalties. Unless otherwise specified, the
    penalty for violating any of the rules in ss. UWS 18.06 to 18.12
    shall be a forfeiture of not more than $500, as provided in s. 36.11
    (1) (c), Stats.
    So, all this time I have been hearing of the five(5) places we cannot carry and all this time it has been six(6).

    Lucy(Hubert), you got some splaining to do.

    Edited to add: Wait, UW System Chapter is not State Statute, is it? IF not, then this would be unenforceable for anyone who is not a student or employee. Huh, I was correct.
    Last edited by BROKENSPROKET; 09-20-2010 at 01:57 AM.

  6. #6
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    Edited to add: Wait, UW System Chapter is not State Statute, is it? IF not, then this would be unenforceable for anyone who is not a student or employee. Huh, I was correct.
    Unfortunately I don't think it works that way; for example the majority of DNR hunting and fishing regulations are only codified in the Administrative Code, however bag limits are not enforceable only against DNR employees.

    One reason that I don't like UWS 18.10(3) is because it sets restrictions that exceed any written in state law, but unfortunately only local municipalities are preempted, not state agencies such as the UW System. It might be challenged on constitutional grounds, but then every gun law might be subject to challenge on constitutional grounds.

  7. #7
    Regular Member BROKENSPROKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Unfortunately I don't think it works that way; for example the majority of DNR hunting and fishing regulations are only codified in the Administrative Code, however bag limits are not enforceable only against DNR employees.

    One reason that I don't like UWS 18.10(3) is because it sets restrictions that exceed any written in state law, but unfortunately only local municipalities are preempted, not state agencies such as the UW System. It might be challenged on constitutional grounds, but then every gun law might be subject to challenge on constitutional grounds.
    Well, we better let Hubert know he has been lying to everyone.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    Well, we better let Hubert know he has been lying to everyone.
    I think you could phrase that differently. COMMENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

    This is a learning process for everyone. Each and every day we encounter new territory that needs to be mapped out.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Krusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    281

    UW Systems

    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    I believe that anyone that can legally OC can do so on UW Campus property, but not within any of the buildings, unless you are a student or employee.

    Am I correct?
    I spoke with a couple of UW-L "cops" while they were on the firing range about month ago on this very subject. They at first said "NO" it's not legal. Then when I posed the state laws to them, they said that if they actually caught up to me they would escort me off campus and tell me to not come back.

    They also told me that any transport or carry of firearms on UWL property would have to be OK'd by the chief and that he wasn't likely to OK that.

  10. #10
    Guest
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    in your pants
    Posts
    397
    Anyone ever heard of the story about the pot and the kettle?

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I think you could phrase that differently without sounding like a dick.

    This is a learning process for everyone. Each and every day we encounter new territory that needs to be mapped out.
    Now isn't that the pot calling the kettle black!

    Oh thats right, he has table time.
    Last edited by J.Gleason; 09-20-2010 at 11:00 AM.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Hey Broken Sproket, if you want to get some attention on campus, use a van and hang the WCI banners on the side of it and park along the curb near the campus and hand out fliers and pamphlets. those can also be placed in the student lounges as well.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I spoke with a couple of UW-L "cops" while they were on the firing range about month ago on this very subject. They at first said "NO" it's not legal. Then when I posed the state laws to them, they said that if they actually caught up to me they would escort me off campus and tell me to not come back.

    They also told me that any transport or carry of firearms on UWL property would have to be OK'd by the chief and that he wasn't likely to OK that.
    Hmmm, who has more power? The chief or the student body? This is an interesting concept.Maybe we need to have organizations right there on campus. Some student protests would bring a tremendous amount of attention. After all College is all about the money.
    Last edited by J.Gleason; 09-20-2010 at 11:07 AM.

  14. #14
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    Hmmm, who has more power? The chief or the student body? This is an interesting concept.Maybe we need to have organizations right there on campus. Some student protests would bring a tremendous amount of attention. After all College is all about the money.
    Good idea, as is the one you suggested just before that!

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    Now isn't that the pot calling the kettle black!

    Oh thats right, he has table time.
    I was supposedly on your ignore list. COMMENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack
    COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

    I did look at the forum without signing in and when one does that the iggy list option is not available.

    COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    178
    The idea of publicizing on campus is a good one.

    You all might be surprised at the level of interest in firearms and recreational shooting there is among students. At UWL I periodically meet groups of students at the range to safely introduce them to handguns. There are always more students interested than I can accommodate. The faculty and staff (and some students) are where you will find almost all of the vitriolic anti-gun crap on campus.

  18. #18
    Regular Member xenophon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    (3) DANGEROUS WEAPONS. (a) No person may carry, possess
    or use any dangerous weapon on university lands or in university
    buildings or facilities, except with the written approval of the chief
    administrative officer or for law enforcement purposes.
    (b) No person may display or portray as real any object that
    resembles a dangerous weapon on university lands or in university
    buildings or facilities, except with the written approval of the
    chief administrative officer.
    (c) Dangerous weapons in violation of this subsection may be
    confiscated and removed from university lands by police.
    (d) In this subsection, the term “dangerous weapon” has the
    meaning specified in s. 939.22 (10), Stats.

    and the penalty:

    UWS 18.13 Penalties. Unless otherwise specified, the
    penalty for violating any of the rules in ss. UWS 18.06 to 18.12
    shall be a forfeiture of not more than $500, as provided in s. 36.11
    (1) (c), Stats.
    Sounds more stringent than the state law. State law just deals with concealed carry, and this is dealing with open carry?

    I'd definitely like some clarification on this. UWM isn't too far away from me.

  19. #19
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophon View Post
    Sounds more stringent than the state law. State law just deals with concealed carry, and this is dealing with open carry?

    I'd definitely like some clarification on this. UWM isn't too far away from me.
    I believe the problem with UWM is that there are many public schools around there and UWM campus isn't private property, as far as I know, so, the 1000' rule would be a pain in the rear.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185
    COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

  21. #21
    Regular Member BROKENSPROKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I think you could phrase that differently. COMMENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack
    Previously, you have stated that you knew me personally, which you don't. Hubert knows me far better already than you EVER will. I think Hubert knows that was a jestful poke, but I could be wrong. The man has very thick skin.

    For those of you that may have misunderstood that, let me assure you, I have High respect for Hubert. If I put something out on a public forum, take it that way. Hubert, if I did offend you, I truly and dearly apologize. I did not mean to, but I am pretty sure you know that.

  22. #22
    Regular Member BROKENSPROKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    Hey Broken Sproket, if you want to get some attention on campus, use a van and hang the WCI banners on the side of it and park along the curb near the campus and hand out fliers and pamphlets. those can also be placed in the student lounges as well.
    My Friend, I am not taking my 2A agenda with me. I will OC if it is legal and have a handful of pamphlets (thats all I have left) if the opportiunity to hand them out presents itself. That would be a great idea otherwise. I think I am dicuss it with a few others and hit UWEC. I think it should be persons local to Madison to do this at UWM.

  23. #23
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Green Bay
    Posts
    232
    Reporting some of you guys is starting to become a full time job. Sheesh, I feel bad for john.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfielddx40 View Post
    Reporting some of you guys is starting to become a full time job. Sheesh, I feel bad for john.
    I feel bad for guys that think they have to report every little thing.

    Some guys on here never say anything meaningful about anything and the ones that are opinionated get ratted out by those that aren't.

  25. #25
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by professor gun View Post
    The idea of publicizing on campus is a good one.

    You all might be surprised at the level of interest in firearms and recreational shooting there is among students. At UWL I periodically meet groups of students at the range to safely introduce them to handguns. There are always more students interested than I can accommodate. The faculty and staff (and some students) are where you will find almost all of the vitriolic anti-gun crap on campus.
    Would it be possible to set up a table with gun rights info. on it like we do at the gun shows? We could have someone there to help answer questions, sell t-shirts or maybe sign up new members. I would be interested in giving this a try. Let me know if I can help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •