Thread: New guy here...

New guy here...

Hey all,

I just turned 21 a week ago and bought a glock 22 which will be ready in 4 days to pick once my mandatory 10 day DOJ background goes through.

I live in Orange County, CA where I know our Sheriff has been accused of being one of the toughest on civilians with guns. My questions are:

1. Besides taking the handgun safety test and getting the little card and going through the 10 day DOJ background check, is there anything else I need to do OR should do prior to OCing?

2. When an officer conducts a 12031 check, that is to just check if it is unloaded right? Is it required to show ID or the serial number?

3. Lastly, if my city has no ordinances on OC is it understandable to go to restaurants or malls when you OC? I heard certain establishments such as a store or a mall can create a rule banning weapons, period, in their place of business. Is that true that I need to know if each place I go has a rule against weapons such as a Olive Garden or a Burger king?

*And anyone know of a group in Orange County that I can talk to and get involved in?

Thanks in advance guys, doing great things here!

~JJ
    Last edited by JJg22; 09-20-2010 at 02:06 AM.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Welcome to the forum! You probably want to scroll down to the California forum and get acquainted with your neighbors. You'll learn a lot and maybe even be able to meet up with some fellow OC people.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Banned
    Welcome. I can't answer your questions since I am from Alabama and know very little CA law.

Folks in the California sub-forum will be able to help you a lot. It's in the States section of the main index. They are in alphabetical order, so you won't have to scroll too much. Members from Wyoming suffer from "scroller's finger."

Quote Originally Posted by JJg22 View Post
    My questions are:

1. Besides taking the handgun safety test and getting the little card and going through the 10 day DOJ background check, is there anything else I need to do OR should do prior to OCing?
    Yeah! Be smart. "Scroll down to the California forum and get acquainted with your neighbors."

Since you live in CA, always carry unloaded, and never within a city. Always comply with LEO requests at all times, or they'll beat you into a pulp (my personal impression only).

As for any and all other questions with respect to California's anti-Constitutional laws, well, this isn't the forum for it.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Welcome to OCDO.

Don't listen to those other guys. The best way to learn is through experience. And the only way to get experience is to go out there and see what happens.

Seriously - disregard that crappy attempt at humor. Join the California forum, ask questions, and travel if necessary to meet and talk with others who have gone through it before.

Just be warned. There is a rumor going around that if you own a gun in California you can no longer eat granola.

stay safe.