• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Puyallup Fair CC ok?

fire suppressor

I will be heading the the Puyallup fair in a couple days and was hoping some of you have already been and could give me some advise on there policies. I have not been to the fair in about 8 years and can not remember there polices, or if there is a pat down or anything to get through the gate. Due to the weather I will probably be CC only to keep my XD dry. I would like to have it mainly for walking back to my car at night but also don't want to try and take it and have it ruin my day. My only other concern is rides. If I am going to be going on rides I'm not sure if it is physically going to get in my way or not. Basically I am not sure if I should take it with me or not, any suggestions?

.45ACPaddy

From what I've seen on other sites, a private organization is running the fair so they can make whatever rules. The worst that can happen is that you get told to leave. Otherwise, CC securely with a holster with retention and have fun!

oldkim

Legal versus Rule....

Just like going to a game....

No OC - they'll just ask you to leave.

CC - no metal detectors, no pat downs but doesn't mean you want to make yourself obvious (or be one of those nervous types).

It's not illegal in the sense you are not violating RCW (not a bar or federal property, etc). As a ticket buyer to enter - you agree to follow their "rules" - one which is to not have "illegal firearms".

As mentioned if you are discovered you will be asked to leave and then if you don't they can charge you with trespass.

Some gates are manned by LEO's just standing by. Don't be obvious - remember concealed means concealed. If you are planning to ride then ensure your firearm is secured for that rides, etc.

I saw a funny post about losing a firearm while on a ride..... I'll have to see if I can find that.

They do search bags and such for obvious things (outside food and those nasty homemade bombs).

If you need the RCW do a search for OC/CC at baseball, football games.

Ajetpilot

http://tinyurl.com/2322cva

In order to make your visit to the Fair an enjoyable experience, we appreciate your compliance with our policies noted below.
These items may not be brought into the facility:
  • Open containers
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Controlled substances
  • Weapons
  • Bicycles
  • Animals (except aid or show animals)
  • Skates, roller blades, skateboards
  • Unauthorized vehicles
The following are not allowed:
  • Disruptive behavior or unlawful acts
  • Solicitation, distribution, or selling of product outside of a contracted booth
  • Scalping or re-sale of tickets
Personal items brought onto the facilities may be subject to search.

deanf

It's not illegal in the sense you are not violating RCW (not a bar or federal property, etc). As a ticket buyer to enter - you agree to follow their "rules" - one which is to not have "illegal firearms".

Or, as you've agreed to the rules when you bought the ticket, and chose to ignore them, you are de facto trespassing and could be arrested and charged.

And it's not illegal firearms. It's "weapons".

oldkim

trespass...

So, as I understand it... I NOT being a lawyer and not giving out "legal advice" Just my "internet recommendation" of what I have seen....

Trespass is mostly used if you have been given a warning not to return or asked to leave and you either come back or don't leave. This issue has been discussed before from what I remember.

From all other postings I have seen the facility just wants you to leave - I'm sure they can press the issue (especially if you make them).

Take it for what it is - free speculation.

If anyone has legal standing then feel free to chime in.

But bottomline: concealed means concealed.

Here's an example - posted by Bob Warden and M1Gunr:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?76560-Key-Arena-and-Tacoma-Dome&highlight=trespass
RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.
(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW
9.41.070 [CPL holder] or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060[LEO].

So if you have a CPL, it is legal for you to carry in Key Arena and in the Tacoma Dome. The other question would be whether or not a private entity leasing the facility could legally enforce a private rule against carrying. Based on theabove statute, an argument can be made that CPL holders have an affirmativeright to carry in stadiums andconvention centersoperated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, and that rules to the contrary are null. In fact, the language of the statute seems to give CPL holders the same standing as LEOs in such places.

The Tacoma Dome & Cheney Stadium are owned and operated by the city of Tacoma. They are trying to use City of Sequim v PNSPA as a defense as well as Cherry v Seattle.

When they lease out the facility the agreement their customers is that weapons are not allowed. You can't be cited for having the weapon per the RCW but they can ask you to leave or be cited for trespass.

I have yet to be patted down or checked at the Dome or Cheney Stadium.

The Attorney General (Rob McKenna) under AGO 2008 No. 8
Downlaoded here: http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?act...;sa=view;id=58

Stated that Washington cities cannot enact local laws that prohibit possession of firearms on city property or in city-owned facilities. See page 5 for more info on trespass.

This defense could be used at the Freedom Fair and other events on city property.

The three Tacoma letters: http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;cat=3

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

You also have to remember that there will be a few bands at the fair, so they may claim that it is an "Outdoor Music Festival" for RCW 70.108.150.

JSlack

As deanf stated
Or, as you've agreed to the rules when you bought the ticket, and chose to ignore them, you are de facto trespassing and could be arrested and charged.

Based on this...If you had to defend your life, and use your firearm at the fair, what would the potential for them charging you with trespassing be?

IMO, it would obviously be worth the charges. You would be alive. How does that go...Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

blackmarine

From what I've seen on other sites, a private organization is running the fair so they can make whatever rules. The worst that can happen is that you get told to leave. Otherwise, CC securely with a holster with retention and have fun!

Roger That !!!:D

Wobbles

I kind of hate to bring back a thread from last year, but given that it's fair time and this was the first weekend, would be nice to get some active reporting.

jbone

And it's not illegal firearms. It's "weapons".

That would include no pocket knives if you are correct.

Add: if arrested on criminal trespass I would fight with "void for vagueness" at least try! I know their rules aren't laws but still they would be vague in a person knowing what they define as a weapon, and what “illegal activity” was if I were legally carrying a firearm, or pocket knife.

Last edited:

jbone

You also have to remember that there will be a few bands at the fair, so they may claim that it is an "Outdoor Music Festival" for RCW 70.108.150.

[h=3]70.108.020
Definitions.[/h]
For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:

(1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.

(2) "Promoter" means any person or other legal entity issued a permit to conduct an outdoor music festival.

(3) "Applicant" means the promoter who has the right of control of the conduct of an outdoor music festival who applies to the appropriate legislative authority for a license to hold an outdoor music festival.

(4) "Issuing authority" means the legislative body of the local governmental unit where the site for an outdoor music festival is located.

(5) "Participate" means to knowingly provide or deliver to the festival site supplies, materials, food, lumber, beverages, sound equipment, generators, or musical entertainment and/or to attend a music festival. A person shall be presumed to have knowingly provided as that phrase is used herein after he has been served with a court order.
[1971 ex.s. c 302 § 21.]

Is Puyallup a "government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds"