• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Report - SV Wal-Mart

crisisweasel

On television, the people who carry guns are guys in uniform (military or police), and bad guys. This is where kids get their prejudices from, probably.

Try this -- next time a child says something, say as sweetly as you can, "It's okay. I'm a good guy."

That's probably all a kid needs to know to learn something.

rickc1962

Christmas shopping at Wal-Mart

My wife and I went shopping today at Wal-Mart, we was in there about hour and a half, I was carrying my typical ruger vaquero 45 LC with a seven and a half barrel, no one seamed to noticed nor cared. I did although have a veary cute petite lady say "hay veary nice gun, I would like to carry mine but I can`t find a holster small enough to fit, thay just keep falling off my wast". It was nice to hear the complement.

mFonz77

My wife and I went shopping today at Wal-Mart, we was in there about hour and a half, I was carrying my typical ruger vaquero 45 LC with a seven and a half barrel, no one seamed to noticed nor cared. I did although have a veary cute petite lady say "hay veary nice gun, I would like to carry mine but I can`t find a holster small enough to fit, thay just keep falling off my wast". It was nice to hear the complement.

She was saying you have a big waist :cool:

lykwidtepp

Alright, got back from OV Walmart. There are ALOT of out of state license plates in the parking lot right now, and incredibly crowded. Walked in, definitely got a stare from the greeter but she didn't do anything. I walked straight past the crowd next to McDonalds and the registers, and using my peripheral vision realized that the majority of their heads were following me.

Anyways, went and bought my 12ga ammunition and realized I was there too quickly. So I went back in line to just purchase some gum and a drink. So I was in line for another 10 minutes and got some heavy stares. Also, while I was at the ammunition section, a couple and their two older sons (Probably 20's) were standing there as well. The mom saw me and I could hear her whisper to all three of them something like, "The guy next to you has a gun". The sons quickly turned around and looked at me and said, "Yep, it's legal as long as your 18 in Arizona". Overall, looks like OV Walmart, even with all the snowbirds, is a decent place to OC. I'll probably head back there tomorrow with my larger Beretta 92FS. Hopefully educate anyone there who are curious about OC.

mFonz77

Ever had anyone refuse to sell you ammo "because you're wearing a gun" ?

Just curious. I had that happen to me ONCE, in Missouri, and I was like, "uh, dude, there's ammo IN this gun...you not selling to me would make no difference." Turned out he was new at the SG counter; I got an assistant manager to come over everything turned out fine.

american-kiwi

buying anno at W-M

Here in Sierra Vista we have to show ID to buy ammo.....

Last edited:
I dearly hope that is only for age (old enough) verification or to verify a check or credit card. Otherwise it is something they can be sued for and lose their license over.:mad:

OCW:

Don't get your curlers in an uproar yet. The weapons/munitions stores up here in the Prescott/Prescott Valley area are careful about not selling ammo to anyone who is more-than-likely an illegal/criminal alien -- I suspect that the ID check in SV might be for similar reasons.

At least I hope so. I've seen many, many obvious illegals (geez, don't speak mucho English, do ya?) come into various gun shops while I'm there and try to buy ammo. They don't any luck, thank goodness.

Just MHO. YMMV and all that.

Hef

Ever had anyone refuse to sell you ammo "because you're wearing a gun" ?

Just curious. I had that happen to me ONCE, in Missouri, and I was like, "uh, dude, there's ammo IN this gun...you not selling to me would make no difference." Turned out he was new at the SG counter; I got an assistant manager to come over everything turned out fine.

When they ask, "is this for a handgun or rifle?", I always reply, "submachinegun". The questions usually stop at that point.

Sonora Rebel

When they ask, "is this for a handgun or rifle?", I always reply, "submachinegun". The questions usually stop at that point.

Heh... reminds me of one of my comebacks when they'll sometimes ask "Why are you carrying that gun?". "'Cause my machinegun's in the shop!"

I don't get over to Oro Valley... but I suspect there's prob'ly more snowbirds in that direction than the NW Tucson/Marana area. Some of them get rather 'demonstative' in the presence of a sidearm. I love the expressions of a first time encounter with an LAC.

lykwidtepp

It's nothing but Snowbirds right now, nearly every 4-5 cars I pass, theirs usually about 1 out of state license plate. Commonly California and Nevada.

As for showing ID at a WalMart for ammunition, I usually had to show my ID, and I know when to pull out the ID when the register beeps really loudly right when he scans the item. But yesterday he must have just hit the Next button since he probably knew I was way over the age of 18. I never had to show it.