Thread: Parking lot storage, on campus?

Parking lot storage, on campus?

Just verifying the legality:

I can stow a legally owned pistol, in my vehicle, in a campus parking lot, correct?

Thanks.

While legal by law it is likely against the student code of conduct.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    for what THAT'S worth (the code of conduct)
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

If I remember correctly, this was hashed out in a different thread which I cannot locate.

The end result of the discussion was that the such questions depend on the school in question. If you are at the University of Michigan, Michigan State, or Wayne State, then those schools are actually "separate constitutional entities" and the Regents Rules carry the same weight as state law (until someone brings a conflict to court and gets it sorted out) and thus if the Regents Rules say "No Firearms On Campus" then it means just that.

There is no "if it is locked in your car" exceptions because those laws which spell those exemptions out end at the campus driveway.

If you are at different schools, private schools and such, then the parking lot is treated like the parking lot at the mall. Only State Universities have this weird "separate constitutional entity" thing going.
    I always open carry one of my Kimber 1911 pistols everywhere I go. Usually in a paddle holster. Nothing fancy, but it works for me.

Are you talking about Western?
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Community colleges have near boundless power from the state to do what they want through their school boards, so in terms of those, probably not, because if you make the mistake of giving the government too much power, they tend to keep it and abuse it. I would be startled to find even one Michigan community college with a leave it in your car provision. I've never ever heard of one that didn't have a sweeping weapons ban aside from a select few things, like cops and those in police academies. This is an extremely important thing to try to change.

Universities I'm not so sure about. Aside from the several that I've been told are mentioned in the Michigan consitution, I do not know where they derrive their powers from, nor has anyone ever been able to tell me, so it's impossible for me to say what the limits are there.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Community colleges have near boundless power from the state to do what they want through their school boards, so in terms of those, probably not, because if you make the mistake of giving the government too much power, they tend to keep it and abuse it. I would be startled to find even one Michigan community college with a leave it in your car provision. I've never ever heard of one that didn't have a sweeping weapons ban aside from a select few things, like cops and those in police academies. This is an extremely important thing to try to change.

Universities I'm not so sure about. Aside from the several that I've been told are mentioned in the Michigan consitution, I do not know where they derrive their powers from, nor has anyone ever been able to tell me, so it's impossible for me to say what the limits are there.
    They can be found in the MCL... do a search for the state college name or look under "community " or "junior" college.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

I searched WSU code of conduct for any firearms reference and all it says is the school will take administrative action against any student who is convicted of state firearms laws.

I asked campus police authority on 3 of the WCCCD campuses and they all told me that they don't care.