• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Parking lot storage, on campus?

The Expert

If I remember correctly, this was hashed out in a different thread which I cannot locate.

The end result of the discussion was that the such questions depend on the school in question. If you are at the University of Michigan, Michigan State, or Wayne State, then those schools are actually "separate constitutional entities" and the Regents Rules carry the same weight as state law (until someone brings a conflict to court and gets it sorted out) and thus if the Regents Rules say "No Firearms On Campus" then it means just that.

There is no "if it is locked in your car" exceptions because those laws which spell those exemptions out end at the campus driveway.

If you are at different schools, private schools and such, then the parking lot is treated like the parking lot at the mall. Only State Universities have this weird "separate constitutional entity" thing going.

Michigander

Community colleges have near boundless power from the state to do what they want through their school boards, so in terms of those, probably not, because if you make the mistake of giving the government too much power, they tend to keep it and abuse it. I would be startled to find even one Michigan community college with a leave it in your car provision. I've never ever heard of one that didn't have a sweeping weapons ban aside from a select few things, like cops and those in police academies. This is an extremely important thing to try to change.

Universities I'm not so sure about. Aside from the several that I've been told are mentioned in the Michigan consitution, I do not know where they derrive their powers from, nor has anyone ever been able to tell me, so it's impossible for me to say what the limits are there.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Community colleges have near boundless power from the state to do what they want through their school boards, so in terms of those, probably not, because if you make the mistake of giving the government too much power, they tend to keep it and abuse it. I would be startled to find even one Michigan community college with a leave it in your car provision. I've never ever heard of one that didn't have a sweeping weapons ban aside from a select few things, like cops and those in police academies. This is an extremely important thing to try to change.

Universities I'm not so sure about. Aside from the several that I've been told are mentioned in the Michigan consitution, I do not know where they derrive their powers from, nor has anyone ever been able to tell me, so it's impossible for me to say what the limits are there.

They can be found in the MCL... do a search for the state college name or look under "community " or "junior" college.

Savage.Detroit

I searched WSU code of conduct for any firearms reference and all it says is the school will take administrative action against any student who is convicted of state firearms laws.

I asked campus police authority on 3 of the WCCCD campuses and they all told me that they don't care.