Thread: Road Rage in Las Vegas

Road Rage in Las Vegas

A personal story that happened July 2010. Driving near the strip a driver began moving into my lane. I honked and continued to honk because the driver continued coming into my lane. I couldn't move out of the way because of traffic. He almost crashed into me when I was able to move to the next lane over.
    When we came to a signal, ( a car in front of me separated us), He opened his car door and stepped out with a club, about two feet long. He started to rush toward me and was on me by the time I opened my car door and had one foot out on the street. He raised the club up just as I unholstered my 9mm and had it pointed inches from his head. He stopped immediately and slowly backed away cussing me out the whole time. What I remember most about this incident was his well crafted club and his wide opened eyeballs looking down the barrel of my firearm. All this took place in the middle of traffic. I hate to think what would have happened if I wasn't armed.

Crazies

Did you report this to police?

Some people are nuts, man.

No report. Just let it go. But I'm sure this crazy will think twice about jumping out his car again with his club!
    Last edited by Buzzkill144; 09-20-2010 at 06:55 PM.

The remaining question is: How many witness's to this took down your lic. number and called the police to report a gunman threatening someone in traffic. I think any time a weapon is drawn or displayed in defense it is reason enough to make a report.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    The remaining question is: How many witness's to this took down your lic. number and called the police to report a gunman threatening someone in traffic. I think any time a weapon is drawn or displayed in defense it is reason enough to make a report.
    Absolutely!! It has been said in this forum many, many times that he who calls 911 first is the one most likely to go free. Thankfully, I have only had to unholster a very few times and never had to pull the trigger. Every time I unholstered, I made sure to make a report.

In at least one of those cases, it may have saved my bacon. Been many years ago now, but I still get antsy remembering what happened. No, I won't publish the details. Other parties are still around.

Opening door, exiting car, then shooting club-wielder = go to jail with manslaughter or murder 2 charge

Locking door, remaining in car, then shooting club-wielder after he smashes window = go home and unwind

There were two road ragers here. One just brought a club to a gun fight.

sniff sniff ..

Edited to avoid conflict with other members
    Last edited by rotty; 09-24-2010 at 05:00 PM.
    - Knowledge is power and there IS strength in numbers -

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Lesson to be learned...

I'm glad to hear you made it out of "red" without shots fired and anyone getting hurt.

I agree with the earlier post about calling the police -- it's going to create a LOT more stress than you may be willing to deal with at the time but the alternatives can be worse. It's worth the time to seek out Michael Bane's podcast at Down Range Radio on a similar subject; look for #179. The theme of the podcast -- one I think every armed citizen should listen to more than once -- deals largely with how to de-escalate a bad situation and what to do when we are confronted.

Bystanders, drivers in traffic with 1.5 seconds to decide what they just saw, a passing police officer... all of these people are going to see your situation and may be very likely to alert authorities and report you as the armed aggressor with the gun. Worse yet, the man who attacked you may very well get back in his car and immediately call the police with his "version" of the story... needless to say, none of these guarantee a happy or just ending.

The take-away for all of us here seems to be prepared, be aware of the situation, and have a plan in place once the confrontation is over and we're out of Condition Red.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by rotty View Post
    Imho - bs
    Not aimed at you specifically, rotty, but, please, let's all give posters here the benefit of the doubt before calling taurine excrement.

I, for one, am very loathe to call someone's veracity in question unless the story is completely out in left field. We've seen some such here and they were quickly exposed. I can also remember bs being called on a poster who later won a nice settlement for the infringement of his rights.

On topic: The only thing I fault OP on is not calling in a report immediately after the incident.

Banned
    Yeah, I accepted the story on face value. Of course, we are only getting one side of the story. And, of course, stories will be told in a way that favors the story-teller. But, I believe the essential underlying story.

Yeah. Be the first to call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Not aimed at you specifically, rotty, but, please, let's all give posters here the benefit of the doubt before calling taurine excrement.

I, for one, am very loathe to call someone's veracity in question unless the story is completely out in left field. We've seen some such here and they were quickly exposed. I can also remember bs being called on a poster who later won a nice settlement for the infringement of his rights.

On topic: The only thing I fault OP on is not calling in a report immediately after the incident.
    I lived in Las Vegas for 4.5 years and frequented the strip often. I base my opinion on the facts that -
    Traffic on the strip rarely moves fast enough for something like this to go un noticed and un reported.
    Metro is ON TOP of the strip and my best guess is that there is a cop on every block not to mention the bicycle cops roaming around and plainclothes that I am certain are there.

If an altercation such as this had taken place in traffic on the busy Las Vegas strip there would definitely be more to the story including a story of LEO interaction.

As I said " IMHO" it's my opinion based on personal knowledge of the location and typical policing of the location.

If my opinion offends you I apologize.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzkill144 View Post
    A personal story that happened July 2010. Driving near the strip a driver began moving into my lane. I honked and continued to honk because the driver continued coming into my lane. I couldn't move out of the way because of traffic. He almost crashed into me when I was able to move to the next lane over.
    When we came to a signal, ( a car in front of me separated us), He opened his car door and stepped out with a club, about two feet long. He started to rush toward me and was on me by the time I opened my car door and had one foot out on the street. He raised the club up just as I unholstered my 9mm and had it pointed inches from his head. He stopped immediately and slowly backed away cussing me out the whole time. What I remember most about this incident was his well crafted club and his wide opened eyeballs looking down the barrel of my firearm. All this took place in the middle of traffic. I hate to think what would have happened if I wasn't armed.
    The OP did not say he was driving on The Strip.

Good point however the traffic is the same for 4 blocks in any direction.

It is again, just my opinion.

- Thomas Jefferson

I was not offended, but I did use your post as a springboard to remind folks to give each other the benefit of the doubt.
    You live in Vegas and know it far better than I do who have never been there.

It would probably have been better if the OP had specified where this took place, but that is his call not to.

Road Rage

Ok, This happened just like I told it. Where this took place was on Harmon and Koval.
    I admit, I should have called 911 but I only had a description of his vehicle and him. No plates. Also, I was so hyped up after the incident, I just drove to my work. Clear thinking was out of town.

I did talk to a Crim. Lawyer about this and he told me I would have been justified but, that I probably would have been arrested till it was all sorted out.
    I also talked to a CCW Instructor and he said two words...Imminent Danger.

So despite not calling 911 I'm glad I didn't fire. And in the event of another incident like this one, hopefully never, I will call 911.
    Thanks all.
    Last edited by Buzzkill144; 09-25-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    Opening door, exiting car, then shooting club-wielder = go to jail with manslaughter or murder 2 charge

Locking door, remaining in car, then shooting club-wielder after he smashes window = go home and unwind

I dont see 2 road ragers here. Just they one with the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by rotty View Post
    Edited to avoid conflict with other members
    Great Quote isn't it? It's okay I reckon if we both use it, TJ said it first, wish I had.
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post

are you on crack ? two road ragers ? I hardly think honking your horn to let a vehicle merging into your lane know your there is road rage...having a man come at you with a club and defending yourself hardly seems like road rage either.

Quote Originally Posted by XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX View Post
    are you on crack ? two road ragers ? I hardly think honking your horn to let a vehicle merging into your lane know your there is road rage...having a man come at you with a club and defending yourself hardly seems like road rage either.
    If it isn't crack it is probably some other perception altering substance.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Should have pulled the trigger... there'd be one less stupid and aggressive ******* on the road.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.