• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun on a military base?

ocholsteroc

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/20/shooting-fort-bliss-army-base/

A gunman wounded two people before being shot dead after he opened fire at a convenience store on the Fort Bliss Army base in El Paso, Texas, officials said.

The shooting, inside the "Shopette" store, was reported at about 3 p.m. Monday afternoon, Col. Joseph A. Simonelli Jr. said at a press conference. The area was roped off for an FBI investigation

Law enforcement arrived on scene and killed the person they believed to be the shooter, officials said.

Details about the identities of the victims and of the shooter remain unclear.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

45acpForMe

Not just on base....

My frustration is that stuff (EDITED BY MODERATOR) like that can happen "on" base but their rules force me to disarm at home which means 3 hours of being disarmed total (before arriving at base and after leaving). The bases I visit are 1.5 hour drives from my house so having to stop for lunch or gas is common. I try to hold off errands until I am armed again but time and schedules sometimes makes them unavoidable.

What is it going to take for some common-sense to be kicked in peoples heads?

Last edited:

Average Dad

Tragic. God Bless those who've benn affected. Some of these bases are as big as Counties. With 25-30,000 people coming aboard everyday they cannot all be searched. It's only a matter of time before this happens. Military Police are as dedicated and serious as they come, but even they can't cover everything all the time. Even as "secure" as the big bases are they still have robberies, assaults, rapes and murders. Where I work I'm asked all the time if I have a weapon, but have only been searched once, and not very thoroughly. Pretty good odds if you want to try to beat the gate guards. I doubt any CO is going to allow members to carry o/s of thier official duties. CYA thing to prevent accidents and "kids" screwing around in the barracks.

Jack House

I think they left out this little part that says and added in ( accept in these locations.............. ) :banghead: I wounder what our four fathers would think of the people today...
Not sure, didn't even know I had four fathers!

jamesisel

Check this out!

My frustration is that stuff (EDITED BY MODERATOR) like that can happen "on" base but their rules force me to disarm at home which means 3 hours of being disarmed total (before arriving at base and after leaving). The bases I visit are 1.5 hour drives from my house so having to stop for lunch or gas is common. I try to hold off errands until I am armed again but time and schedules sometimes makes them unavoidable.

What is it going to take for some common-sense to be kicked in peoples heads?

Check out what the base commander did at fort riley. No soldiers are allowed to carry of post! Permit or no permit.

45acpForMe

Check out what the base commander did at fort riley. No soldiers are allowed to carry of post! Permit or no permit.

Yes there was an article in the September 2010 Rifleman magazine stating that Sen. Inhofe R-Oklahoma offered an ammendment to the National Defensr Authorization Act for Fiscal year 2011 that prohibit DOD/base-commanders from restricting "acquisition, possession, ownership, carrying or other use" of personally owned firearms while off base. It is in committee last I read.

In my humble opinion it doesn't go far enough. Of course, if they are going to ignore the 2A then they aren't going to listen to my humble opinion. They will hear my VOTE though!

Last edited:

jamesisel

Yes there was an article in the September 2010 Rifleman magazine stating that Sen. Inhofe R-Oklahoma offered an ammendment to the National Defensr Authorization Act for Fiscal year 2011 that prohibit DOD/base-commanders from restricting "acquisition, possession, ownership, carrying or other use" of personally owned firearms while off base. It is in committee last I read.

In my humble opinion it doesn't go far enough. Of course, if they are going to ignore the 2A then they aren't going to listen to my humble opinion. They will hear my VOTE though!

I'm with ya brother!

OldCurlyWolf

Ask the 13 that were killed by that nut job at Ft. Hood if they needed a firearm.

If they could answer, I would bet that answer would be a resounding YES!!!!:mad: