• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vacationing in CA for the holidays. Is it worth learning the codes to OC for 2 weeks?

jecsd1

I'm in TX and I'm going to visit some family over the upcoming xmas break. I love CC here in TX and I carry everywhere that is not expressly prohibited.

I know there are "considerably" more restrictions on handguns in CA. Is it possible get ready to do OC safely and legally in a few months time???

I know it must be unloaded with ammo on other hip. and no guns w/in 1000 ft of schools. anything else or should I just leave it in my truck locked up the whole time??

Thanks
Jason

Last edited:

chewy352

It is always worth it to exercise your god given rights. However, with all the hoops you have to jump through and the possibility of your vacation being ruined by possible legal issues I would not suggest UOCing on your own. Here in the PRK we have LEOs who will come on up on you with guns drawn and lecture you like you're a child. My suggestion is to just keep it locked up in your car in a small gun safe with the combo off by one number (I always have my firearm with me in this manner where ever i go). Or you can even carry unloaded and locked in a container on your person.

If you let us know when and where you’re going to be here, I'm sure someone would be willing to UOC with you and show you what a pain it is to UOC in CA.

jecsd1

Man, You guys have me scared. Is it that bad? If I did want to, whats the miniumn I need to do. Register with CA? Obviously know the school zones. Anything else. Thanks for the info guys. Still trying to decide if it's even worth it

Gundude

Man, You guys have me scared. Is it that bad? If I did want to, whats the miniumn I need to do. Register with CA? Obviously know the school zones. Anything else. Thanks for the info guys. Still trying to decide if it's even worth it

It ain't easy packin in Calif.
If you're driving, unload it and lock it up. You might pass through a magic GFSZ. That's where criminals don't carry, cuz it's against the law. Your lockable glove box of center console are not considered a locked container.
If you're going to carry, unload it and keep the mag in sight.
Don't carry in Gov buildings, post office included.

mjones

+1 for recommending that you do not OC while here on vacation.

There are too many opportunities for something to go sideways and completely destroy your vacation. I would recommend you keep a firearm unloaded and in a locked container.

Please also keep in mind that it is illegal (possible felony) to import into California a magazine which holds more then 10 rounds. If you posessed the 'large capacity magazine' within the state at any time before 1/1/00 then you may legally bring them into the state.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity
magazine.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(23) The importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who
lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to
January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning
to the state with the large-capacity magazine previously lawfully
possessed in the state.

jecsd1

Thanks for the info. I think you're right.

I'll bring the .40 cal subcompact with 9 round magazines and just lock it up in the car. I WILL be bringing the OWB holster though, as we will be spending a day in AZ where I'll have my rights back again. Thanks!

It's a shame the way CA thinks it can rewrite the COTUS as it sees fit.

coolusername2007

As much as I hate to say it, UOC'ing here could completely ruin your vacation and much more. You could learn the PC's and be legal, but that doesn't mean you won't be harassed and/or detained, arrested, and eventually released. So unless you want a holiday with a total rights violation experience, you may want to refrain from any thoughts of liberty, the constitution, or freedom. We don't say "deep behind enemy lines in the People's Republik of Kalifornia" for nothing. Hell, if I were you I'd catch a cold and stay in TX and video skype or something.

Besides, knowing the school zones isn't enough, you have to know their property boundaries, because CA's PC 626.9 is based on property, not the school building itself. And if you're in any sort of populated urban area, then its entirely likely the vast majority of the town/city is a Victim Disarmament Zone anyway. And good luck with that because private schools abound and aren't listed on maps.

Now having said all that, if you will be out in the boonies, well that's a whole different deal. LOC is legal in unincorporated parts of a county that don't have shooting restrictions. So you might want to let us know which county you'll be in.