• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

October SoCal Meetup

chewy352

Lets go hang out with fellow like minded patriots and enjoy Oceanside pier. The Pre-Election Tea Party will take place at the Oceanside Pier Ampatheater on Oct 10th from Noon to 4pm. For more information go to http://taxteapartyoceansideca.weebly.com

We will meet up at 404 Mission Ave in the Ocean Place Plaza infront of the Regal Cinimas at 11:30 am. From there we will walk down to the Pier.

I have put in a request for a booth at the Tea Party and will keep you all appraised of the situation as I get news. As of right now though we will just be attending.

Gundude

Lets go hang out with fellow like minded patriots and enjoy Oceanside pier. The Pre-Election Tea Party will take place at the Oceanside Pier Ampatheater on Oct 10th from Noon to 4pm. For more information go to http://taxteapartyoceansideca.weebly.com

We will meet up at 404 Mission Ave in the Ocean Place Plaza infront of the Regal Cinimas at 11:30 am. From there we will walk down to the Pier.

I have put in a request for a booth at the Tea Party and will keep you all appraised of the situation as I get news. As of right now though we will just be attending.

Sent you a pm

chewy352

The local ordinance was vetted here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?80898-Is-UOC-illegal-in-Oceanside-by-city-ordinance

There have been meet ups at this location in the past. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?72631-SoCal-meetup/page2&highlight=oceanside Also I have solo UOCed at the pier in the past with a LEO drive by

As far as schools, it is incumbent that everyone looks them up on their own, as it is your responsibility to know them. I will say that I have looked them up and am confident of the location.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
So, what is the goal here?

General support of the Tea Party?
Purely educational?
Is this a membership drive?
A 'gun rights' holiday?
A gathering (2A orgy) for media to focus on?

I don't really think hoping for a big turn out is in our best interests... In fact,...

I think the trick to this is to keep things really low key. I see no need to gather any more than 2 or 3 open carriers in one location at a time. 30 people show up? Sort them into pairs and spread them out. Some standing with the Tea Party- Some go sit in a nearby restaurant- Some manning the booth- They get bored? Rotate.

It might also be a good idea to select a single media contact person and identify that person to everyone participating in the event media starts investigating. This way the message isnt muddied up with a dozen personal reasons (ie; uh, becuz I can) why OC'rs carry a gun and the message can be focused on one or two key (intelligible) points.

chewy352

Thank you for your input ConditionThree.

First and foremost any meet up that I organize is to educate the general public. I have requested a booth however, all are booked and I am number 7 on the waiting list. I will know for sure on Oct 2nd if I will get a booth or not. If I don't get a booth then the goal remains the same, to educate the general public.

Why the Tea Party? For one there was already interest by other members to go to the event. Second the Tea Party is usually comprised of freedom loving patriots like ourselves making it a friendly event. (I have carried at several Tea Party events myself with no incident)

I like your suggestion about spreading out and believe that will be the most effective way to educate the public that OC can be a normal activity again as it once was. The biggest determining factor will be the number of cameras and unarmed friendly witnesses.

As far as the media I will draw up talking points for everyone to follow. The point of this is not to gain media attention as I'm not sure we really need it anymore but I will make sure we are prepared if contacted.

Thanks again for your suggestions/concerns as that is what has made OCDO great.

chewy352

So far, I have received only a couple confirmations. Please let me know if you can make it so I will look for alternate locations so we can spread out throughout the city.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
While its not my event, I would also add that those who already OC should make a point to bring people who don't or haven't. This would be the time to make sure those who are new to OC have an opportunity to become acclimated with an experienced wingman.

ryanburbridge

So, what is the goal here?

General support of the Tea Party?
Purely educational?
Is this a membership drive?
A 'gun rights' holiday?
A gathering (2A orgy) for media to focus on?

I don't really think hoping for a big turn out is in our best interests... In fact,...

I think the trick to this is to keep things really low key. I see no need to gather any more than 2 or 3 open carriers in one location at a time. 30 people show up? Sort them into pairs and spread them out. Some standing with the Tea Party- Some go sit in a nearby restaurant- Some manning the booth- They get bored? Rotate.

It might also be a good idea to select a single media contact person and identify that person to everyone participating in the event media starts investigating. This way the message isnt muddied up with a dozen personal reasons (ie; uh, becuz I can) why OC'rs carry a gun and the message can be focused on one or two key (intelligible) points.

Sorry in advance if you take offense to my post.

Am I the ONLY one tired of hearing crap like this?
Don't meet up! Don't do this! Don't do that!

I completely understand that you have a different idea of how things SHOULD be done. You have done a lot of good for the cause. But please let people get out and meet with like minded people. Just because we carry guns dose NOT mean we can't enjoy what any one else would. My wife loves the meet ups because she can meet new people and feel safe at the same time.

I do think that carry just at meet ups is lame BUT if that is what someone wants to do it good for them.

Hope you don't get upset it's just my opinion.

Last edited:

chewy352

I was in Oceanside today and UOCed at Applebees, Walmart, and on the Pier with absolutely no issues. While leaving the Pier I drove by the Ocean Place Plaza and realized I had forgotten there is a small Police outpost in the plaza. I have never been a fan of informing LEOs of our lawful activities however, I will leave it up to you to decide. Should we still meet up at the Ocean Place Plaza infront of the Regal Cinimas? If so, would you like me to give Oceanside PD a heads up?

chewy352

So I am still coming up however, I might end up being just a friendly witness.

I took the family to the rage the other night and after shooting about 70 rounds my sister in law raises her weak hand. I approach and she says she pulled the trigger and nothing happened (first time shooting). So I have her put the safety on and I take the firearm. At this point I am thinking it is a hang fire as we were using reloads. I wait about 5 minutes and nothing happens. In that time I sent my wife to ask the Range Master what their procedures were for hang fires. She returned and told me so I pulled back on the slide and it wouldn't budge. I tried to get the slide back for several minutes to no avail. I tried pulling the trigger several times to get the round to fire and that didn't work either. By this time one of the Range Masters comes up and offers me a punch. I used the punch to make sure the round was seated properly and then pulled the trigger again and much to my relief the round finally the round went off.

After we got home it took me about an hour of tugging and pulling to get the slide off. I then gave my firearm a thorough cleaning and discovered a huge gouge on the leading edge of the slide rail (pardon my nomenclature).

So in the morning I'm taking it to a gunsmith to see if he can get it operational for less than $100. If not I'm going to have to ship it to Taurus under warrantee.

So if anyone knows a good gunsmith in San Diego let me know. I'll be at California Police Equipment at 0930.