• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

October SoCal Meetup

leoffensive

So I am still coming up however, I might end up being just a friendly witness.

I took the family to the rage the other night and after shooting about 70 rounds my sister in law raises her weak hand. I approach and she says she pulled the trigger and nothing happened (first time shooting). So I have her put the safety on and I take the firearm. At this point I am thinking it is a hang fire as we were using reloads. I wait about 5 minutes and nothing happens. In that time I sent my wife to ask the Range Master what their procedures were for hang fires. She returned and told me so I pulled back on the slide and it wouldn't budge. I tried to get the slide back for several minutes to no avail. I tried pulling the trigger several times to get the round to fire and that didn't work either. By this time one of the Range Masters comes up and offers me a punch. I used the punch to make sure the round was seated properly and then pulled the trigger again and much to my relief the round finally the round went off.

After we got home it took me about an hour of tugging and pulling to get the slide off. I then gave my firearm a thorough cleaning and discovered a huge gouge on the leading edge of the slide rail (pardon my nomenclature).

So in the morning I'm taking it to a gunsmith to see if he can get it operational for less than $100. If not I'm going to have to ship it to Taurus under warrantee.

So if anyone knows a good gunsmith in San Diego let me know. I'll be at California Police Equipment at 0930.

haha thats a taurus for ya!!!

chewy352

One more time. If anyone who is attending wishes me to notify Oceanside PD speak up or forever hold your peace. It is even more your decision now as I will not be carrying.

leoffensive

One more time. If anyone who is attending wishes me to notify Oceanside PD speak up or forever hold your peace. It is even more your decision now as I will not be carrying.

haha get a holster for a single action revolver with a 7 1/2inch barrel and you can carry my blackhawk. i got some gorgeous .45long colt hornady rounds for it that are serious man stoppers!

chewy352

haha get a holster for a single action revolver with a 7 1/2inch barrel and you can carry my blackhawk. i got some gorgeous .45long colt hornady rounds for it that are serious man stoppers!

Tempting but I dont want to buy a holster for 1 time use. However, if you want to pay me back for it later . . .

Palecon

Good seeing some regulars today, sorry if I missed anyone else. Perfect type event for OCing. Still I would have liked 8 or 10 of us spread out. That I think would have brought that message home to the Tea Party organizers and good for Liberty movement as whole. Nothing but possitive remarks from any participants that I encountered

Very happy that the event was on board with it and didn't make any overtures otherwise. The fit was right, correct.

Chewey, Leo,
well it happened to me too nearly an hour after you guys left...got braced first by shy yellow jacket then the PD wanted to have a closer look at my G-23. PD operated at board level so no unnecessary problems. All good. What a hoot!

Hope to see you all again soon. Lets go shooooooot!

leoffensive

Good seeing some regulars today, sorry if I missed anyone else. Perfect type event for OCing. Still I would have liked 8 or 10 of us spread out. That I think would have brought that message home to the Tea Party organizers and good for Liberty movement as whole. Nothing but possitive remarks from any participants that I encountered

Very happy that the event was on board with it and didn't make any overtures otherwise. The fit was right, correct.

Chewey, Leo,
well it happened to me too nearly an hour after you guys left...got braced first by shy yellow jacket then the PD wanted to have a closer look at my G-23. PD operated at board level so no unnecessary problems. All good. What a hoot!

Hope to see you all again soon. Lets go shooooooot!

haha yea i cant believe that guy did that after he was educated about it.....

Palecon

Hey we all understand it when it happens to you Leo, you are one scarry dude and you carry a 1911.

But when they start talking to ya then quickey figure out your just a big teddy bear...lol

chewy352

Run down of events

So al in all a good albeit small event.

Leo, Tack, and I met up at the theater as planed with no incidents. At 11:50 am we walked down to the Tea Party. After being there for about 5-10 minutes we are approached by private security (guard "A") who asked us to leave as firearms are not permitted at the event. I politely inform guard A that we were on public property therefore; the event can not restrict us from carrying. A couple minutes go by of me telling guard A the legalities of UOC and he still insists that Leo must leave and secure his firearm. I then ask guard A to please get someone from the event that we can talk to. He obliges and asks us to stay put. A couple minutes later Guard A returns with Guard B. Guard Bs concern is not so much with the firearm in general but that Leo has a magazine inserted and hammer cocked.

At this point Leo is willing to decock and pull the empty magazine out but then Guard C shows up. Guard C appears to be the supervisor and is 100% that what Leo is doing is illegal. The guards start talking about getting the police out at which point Tack basically says go ahead because there just going to tell you what we just did. One guard leaves to get the police and a couple minutes later Leo is surrounded by Oceanside PD who take him just off the property to do a 12031 e check. No guns drawn, no hand cuffs. Total detention about 5 minutes. The officers lectured Leo about the Carlsbad shooting and how everyone is hypersensitive right now and Leo just acted like he was bored with the cops. While Leo was being lectured the officer with his firearm was looking it over pretty good and I shouted out that he is not allowed to do that that he is only allowed to inspect for loaded. At which time he set the gun down on the trash can and the Sgt. came up to me and told me that I will get 2 warnings not to confront the officers (I was like 10 feet away lol) and after the 2nd I would be taken into custody for interfering with a police investigation. Having run Leos ID at about 4 minutes they get word that Leo has a clean record and take about another minute to give him his firearm and ID back and Leo was free to go.

After the detention we probably spent about 30 minutes educating the security guards who ended up being very good pupils and the supervisor who was adamant that it was illegal said "wow you really know your stuff." I then told him well ya because as a responsible security guard myself I feel it is important to know the laws yourself. Tack had also come back after tracking down the event organizers and reported that they had no policy against firearms and that we were welcome at the event.

All in all we educated 3 security guards, several passersby, and had no guns drawn, no cuffs and no rude police officers.

At about 1:30 Paleocon arrived and we all enjoyed the tea party and Leo and I left at about 2:45 after which apparently Paleocon was harassed by the Security officers and "e" checked. I'll leave that for him to discuss.

My thoughts:

As a security officer myself I absolutely hate it when Security Officers don't take the time to learn laws that they are likely to run into. Often times this is all they learn and usually don’t retain http://www.bsis.ca.gov/forms_pubs/poa.pdf. When you are carrying cuffs and prepared to arrest people you better be positive that the person broke a law and you have to be able to articulate it as all security officers can do is make citizens arrests. If they make a bad arrest they can be charged with a slew of crimes including false arrest, kidnapping, battery, etc. They are also civilly liable. The second biggest thing I hate is when security officers make up their own policies for their client. Not only to they put themselves in a position for a lawsuit but their employer and client as well. I have worked special events, HOAs, and corporate security for two different companies and each site would have specific post orders for what is permitted on site and what is not and what we are empower to do as far as enforcement. There is absolutely no reason for a guard to make up a rule and say it’s the clients.

Special thanks to Tack for searching out the event organizers otherwise we would have had to leave per the securities wrong order. Jeff Schwilk whom was a vendor at the event and founder of the San Diego Minutemen who helped validate our knowledge of the laws to the security officers.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Having run Leos ID at about 4 minutes they get word that Leo has a clean record and take about another minute to give him his firearm and ID back and Leo was free to go.

What crime did they suspect Leo had commited or was about to commit to justify demanding ID and running his his name? Was his photo identification presented to the police voluntarily or taken from him? Did the identification accelerate the 12031(e) check, or make the process take longer?

chewy352

What crime did they suspect Leo had commited or was about to commit to justify demanding ID and running his his name? Was his photo identification presented to the police voluntarily or taken from him? Did the identification accelerate the 12031(e) check, or make the process take longer?

I'll leave that for Leo to discuss.