• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Timrook Park Weapon Ban - Campbell County

Jero1987

I was going to the Timrook park today with the wife to run the dogs, when I noticed a Park Rules sign.
I am planning on attending the next Campbell county board of supervisors meeting to protest this. Would it be best to counter this with the Virginia law on Local Ordinances/Preemption http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915 or is there a better law to reference? (Tax payer money funding the park etc)
Sorry if I missed any past posts that would be helpful, also any constructive advice is also welcome. Thanks guys and gals! :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You might want to email the County Attorney first and let him know you plan to appear.
Otherwise the Board will take it under advisement pending the Attorney's opinion.

Be prepared for the "Stoopid" comments like "But, but...there are children there.

Or the ever popular, Why do you need a gun in the park?:banghead:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Dang it that's right in my neighborhood! I'll make sure Campbell County hears from me tonight or tomorrow. This can't stand.

*Jero which entrance had this sign? I'm going to snag a picture of my own and give the county government a call. This is absolutely outrageous.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The Campbell County website does not have a listing for the county attorney or his/her contact info. The only thing I found that might be of use is the county head of parks and recreation whose contact information I have provided below for all interested in calling or writing.

Parks & Recreation: recreation@campbellcountyva.gov 434-332-9570

Here is the link for the county administrators: http://www.co.campbell.va.us/Pages/countyadministrator.aspx

Does anyone with experience in this regard have a suggestion of how to make the first contact? E-mail, phone, etc. Perhaps try phone and e-mail first then registered letter?

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
It's on the southeast (I think) corner of the intersection of Leesville Road and Waterlick Road, not far off of US-460 and near Timberlake Rd.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Yo, if all of you haven't done dinner we can get together around 8:15 or so at Neighbor's Place to discuss.

104 Paulette Circle, Lynchburg, VA 24502 (In Wyndhurst off of Enterprise Drive beside the BP).

Last edited:

kenny

Found it: David W. Shreve is the Campbell County Attorney as of June, 2010 according to county records that I have found. His contact information is:

7th St
Altavista, Virginia 24517
(434) 369-6621

http://www.co.campbell.va.us/Pages/localofficials.aspx

I'll give him a call tomorrow.

He is not a full time County Attorney. Somewhat of a nice guy. Jero this was a good find. I find it strange because the former long time Director of Parks is a friend.

Jero1987

The wifester and I will be there anyway. :)

The wife and I will be there at 8:15. Just gunna have dessert I think. We already had dinner, but a good conversation is always welcome.

He is not a full time County Attorney. Somewhat of a nice guy. Jero this was a good find. I find it strange because the former long time Director of Parks is a friend.
I don't plan to raise a huge stink, I am confident this will be righted. My plan so far is just to go in with my head on straight and work my way through the chain of command. Why bother big wigs, when sometimes just talking calming and logically can solve the problem.

zoom6zoom

Yeah, really no "protest" needed, just bring it to their attention that it's contrary to state law and needs to be corrected. It was a similar thing that got the cops called on us at Burke Lake a few years ago, they had never updated their rule book (and the park manager was determined to be right, law or no.)