• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting on the Move (SOTM)

oldkim

Some of you may know but there's a lot of new folks here.

I set up shoots that fundamentally one can not do at a normal range. Sure you can drive out the woods someplace - good luck with that... But you'll be hard pressed to find safety officers and/or instructors out there ready to help you.

Yes, you could go to a professional shooting school - I do not see myself competing against these types of schools. I see myself helping shooters get a feel for what to expect and see what skills many shooters lack... Plus not everyone is ready to pluck down $350-$1500 to attend a shooting course (in state or not).

Who is this for?
If you carry...
If you are interested in IDPA or USPSA (aka IPSC)...
If you are simply bored with going to a regular range...
If you want to meet others who enjoy shooting...

Any or all the above sound like you? Then so long as you know what end of the barrel to keep down range and how to operate your particular firearm we'll help you.

The range safety officers and instructors are there by your side, every step and every shot. Learn (hands on) from experienced shooters.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Shooting Like the Good Old Days - Shooting on the Move (SOTM) practice.

What - Do the things you can't do at a normal "marksmanship" range:
Draw from your holster
Shoot on the move
Engage multiple targets
Double taps and more.

Yes, you can join some high end club membership and do some of these things but again you don't have someone right there that is willing to help you become better...

This is not a competition. This is solely practice for those that do choose to carry (openly or concealed).

When:
TBA - please note I don't do many of these and I usually try to keep them small.

Rain or shine.

Where:
Renton Fish and Game Club (http://www.rfgc.org)
Open to the public - you do not need to be a member. Have a good level of proficiency with your carry gun - meaning you can hit the side of the barn in front of you :)

Cost:
$35 for non-members of RFGC or $20 for members of RFGC
Note: these are not officially sanctioned shoots (like IDPA, USPSA, Cowboy, CMP, etc). The reason I mention this is that I oversee all stages of these shoots. The vast majority of the fee goes to the club. ($30 for non members and $15 for members from your fee cover range fee, targets and misc charges - this is my way to contribute to the shooting community and to RFGC for letting these types of shoots happen).

Why:
This is to get the right mindframe for this type of practice. We are not a fast draw nor is this a competition. We will guide and ensure the safety of all shooters as best as possible.

There are not many opportunities to practice from your concealed holster in the US, let alone in Washington.

My proposal has been to use the RFGC’s Action Bays to shoot steel plates and targets using your carry holster and to shoot on the move. Shoot as rapidly as you can safely handle. No full auto guns – thanks.

I want to develop practice training opportunities for those that choose to carry (concealed pistol license or not) and expose members of RFGC to a side of shooting many do not get to experience. Sure you can do this at an IDPA or USPSA (IPSC) match, but that's in a competition level. I wanted to present a fun user friendly environment for people to practice and share your knowledge. You can shoot any stage over and over again.

Safety First, then it's all good after that.

For non CPL (members or non members): Please be aware that this is a Cold Range (basically, don't have a loaded gun). Bring your gun in a case or holster (empty: no magazine or round in chamber). Absolutely no gun handling except on the firing line and in a Designated Safety Area. If you are seen handling your firearm behind others you will be asked to leave.

Violation of Rule #1 - failure to treat the firearm with proper mindset.

Other things:
Safety First
Please be mindful that we need to be safe at all times.
1) Treat your Gun as it's always loaded, do not handle unless you are up to shoot
DO NOT HANDLE YOUR GUN
2) Muzzle - only pointed downrange
3) No finger on trigger unless you are shooting

Pistol or revolver - ANY pistol caliber is fine. I'm not biased so bring what you have so long as you can shoot it safely. Yes, that means a .22 is okay. Please do have a good holster that can withstand multiple re-holstering. A flimsy holster may be unsafe.

Magazine Capacity - Please know there is no magazine capacity limit. This is practice so bring what you have and top off.

Ammo
Please NO armour piercing or tracers, explosive rounds, etc. Good Hollow points or FMJ are fine. Frangiles are recommend but not required. Please stock up and bring lots of ammo.

I strongly recommend at least 300 rounds +

You can always shoot it another day.

Targets
No Targets Needed. We'll use the stands for IDPA and get a IDPA targets to shoot at.

Distances of targets
The IDPA targets will be from 5 ft to 30 ft and steel plates will be out to about 30-50 ft (for safety).

HOW:
You must contact me with your
1) Email
2) Contact phone number
3) Please let me know where you saw the post too
4) Brief shooting experience history, if any

I'll confirm and send you more details of the shoot.
email me at oldkim@aol.com

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Bravo, and Big Thank You for setting this up.

I surely hope there will be many here to take up that offer, if I was not here in Yakima I would partake as well but I do similar exercises here.

Again Bravo.

oldkim

Thanks

BigDave,

You would be surprised that many do not take advantage.

I do have a "core" of about 40 that attend often out of 250. But more importantly I have a core of safety officers and instructors that volunteer their time to do them.

We often complain about the lack of ability to train with our personal sidearms (self defense guns) but for many reasons people do not go.

Some will argue it's too much or the timing isn't right or just simple fear of the unknown.

For me the title says it all. I remember when I was younger (9-14) we used to go to a gravel pit and shoot at all sorts of things. Now we're pretty much stuck to shooting paper targets - no feedback. No wonder people can't shoot worth a darn. They are simply shooting for shooting - not knowing that they can improve with just a few minor pointers here and there.

I have taken folks that have shot maybe 1 or several times and within 30 minutes they are outshooting their "boyfriends" or even fathers that have been shooting for years and years.

This will probably be my last time "advertising" as my email list is growing big enough for me to handle.

I hope all is well on your side of the hills. Let me know offline what you do over in Yakima. Maybe I can incorporate a few things - lesson's learned.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I have been criticized on here for promoting training and making some feel they do not measure up to others standards.

It is not my standards first off it is matter of what importance each of us actually place upon our safety and the safety of our families to seek out training where available and for $35, this is very affordable?

There is no replacement for testing your skills as described in this thread and one needs to take inventory on their abilities and give us confidence in our abilities.
Can we hit a moving target or while we are moving to cover, no guessing, there is no replacement for actually doing it.

Will this not let us make better choices if confronted?

knight_308

I'd love to come, but the $$$ to shoot just aren't there. Thank you very much for offering the service, though!

steble01

i must be one of the 40 "core" guys you are referring young......lol

i have been to a bunch of these now, and have watched the whole thing grow and evolve. from the days of waiting 30 minutes in the clubhouse to pay, to the streamline advanced pay process it is now. i can truly say that each time young puts one of these on, they get better and better and young is actively engaging in new ideas to keep things fresh and getting better overall. anybody sitting on the fence needs to sign up. well worth it.

Last edited:

irish52084

I sent the email. I'm excited to do this, I've been interested in IDPA for a while but was too chicken to just show up and start asking questions. Thanks for taking the time to do this kind of event.

oldkim

Dates....

I have 3 dates coming up.

Please note that you must be pre-registered to shoot. I do not take walk on's (meaning no same day shooters). Last day to register is either the Monday before or Friday before. Or when all slots are filled, whichever comes first.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 Noon - 5pm
Wednesday, October 27, 2010 Noon - 5pm
Sunday, November 14, 2010 11am - 3pm

oldkim

last update

So here's a little more detail on what the shoots has to offer.

Please read all the post above. I know I skim read too but if you have questions - I'm sure I have laid it out as plain as I can.

---------------------------------------------------------

For those who have seen the progression of these shoots or to the ones that are brand new. Here's what's new for you....

You know you're going to be moving and shooting your handgun.....

As usual we will have the steel targets up and going and also our IDPA targets for close up work.

We will again have a rifle and shotgun set up too - so bring them. If you don't have one? We have plenty of shooters that are willing to share. Just buy some extra ammo for them (.223 for the AR like semi-rifles or 7.62x39 for the AK variants). Typically it's a.... buy a box for them and a box for you to shoot. As the shoot comes up: I'll email you what other shooters are bringing so you can try them out.

What's really new?
1) IDPA classifer stage
2) Car stage
3) Zombie stage
4) Moving target (work in progress)

*See below for details of each stage

Please know that you are free to move around from bay to bay (stage to stage). I have pondered the idea to shoot as a group but I'm one for keeping it free for you to decide.

"IDPA Classifier"
The reason I am incorporating this from IDPA is that it's a benchmark for you to judge yourself on a nationally recognized shooting organization. The basic shooting and scoring of this stage will follow the guidelines from IDPA - you'll shoot according to what everyone shoots in IDPA to be "classified" into your shooting group level. This is an optional stage - you do not have to shoot this if you do not want to. You can shoot parts of it too (see website below for info). The benefits is you'll shoot in various positions, scenarios... strong and weak handed, moving and from behind cover.

This is not only good for those interested to "see" how well they can shoot but also get a feel of what IDPA/USPSA has to offer.
Please note: we do not report to IDPA so the scores are only for your benefit.
http://idpa.com/classify.asp

Car stage
A vehicle was donated several years ago and has been used by IDPA/USPSA. The use of the car will be limited to just to get a feel for shooting in a vehicle.
1) Seated in the driver's seat, your firearm on the passenger seat - you'll engage targets out the passenger side.
2) The other scenario will be from seated position, jump out and draw and engage from the front hood and rear bumper/trunk area.
Muzzle control will be primary so no drawing within the car. We all have to make concessions in life. This may not truly represent real life but it's just meant to expose you to this all too familiar environment.

Zombie stage
Since this is October/November - I would like to add a "fun" stage. With multiple, multiple zombie targets - all shots are head shots from various distances. Fast and furious.

Moving target (work in progress)
I have been wanting to find a good easy and cheap moving target setup. I have put together some great minds and I think we'll present a moving target system at the shoots. Please know it's a work in progress. Our first attempt will be a simple side to side moving target. We are fortunate to be able to use several action type steel targets - they fall when shot but there is nothing like a true moving target - we'll have you move too! Just to make it that much more interesting. Please know you may be asked to take turns "being the motor" to pull the target.

So for the ones that have shot these practices before... we'll have the same things but again added something new too!

If you have any questions please email me:
oldkim@aol.com

Leatherneck

I'm planning on going to the November class. I can't get time in the middle of a week day.
[cross fingers]
Hope it's still open when I have the money to pay for it.
[/cross fingers]

irish52084

I'll be there in November as well. This will be a brand new experience for me, never done anything like it before.
Feeling kind of lame for selling my Bushmaster AR now. My buddy is going to lend me his rifle and shotgun for the event. How much ammo should I bring for the rifle and shotgun parts? Pistol is 300+ rounds right?

oldkim

How much ammo....

You have to remember this is not a staged scenario in the sense that for this "stage" you will shoot .... this many times.

You control how much and how fast (so long as you can keep every round on the berm). When presented with the scenario and stage setup you wanted to shoot 5 times that's okay.... if you wanted to shoot 3 mag changes then that's fine too.

As for rifle - same as above. Most folks get tired after 100 rounds (also you have to remember each 30 round magazine is anywhere from $12-$40 - depending on the quality of the ammo).

So it's going to be more restricted to your pocketbook than almost anything else. You'll have plenty of time during the shoot to.... shoot all you want.

My thing is that I would hate for you to run out of ammo and not "experience" all you can.... you don't get many opportunities to shoot this way.

With ammo - you can always shoot it another day but you don't get the opportunity to do these in this way so close to the Seattle area.