• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Channel 3000 (Wisconsin) - Culver restaurant management declines to ban open carry!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.channel3000.com/money/25106816/detail.html

SNIP

Open Carry Debate Could Affect Businesses
Culver's Decides Not To Create New Policy On Openly Carrying Handguns
Posted: 6:07 pm CDT September 21, 2010
Updated: 6:12 pm CDT September 21, 2010

Text SizeAAAMADISON, Wis. -- The debate over openly carrying handguns could affect businesses, after two men wearing holstered firearms refused to show police identification at a Culver's restaurant on Madison's East Side Saturday night and were cited for obstruction.

Culver's Corp. was considering the need for a policy addressing the issue after a concerned customer called police. An executive at Culver's Corp. said Tuesday afternoon the restaurant will not create a new policy over the incident.

. . .

Hanson said that just as it is legal for someone to openly carry a handgun in Wisconsin, it's also legal for a business to refuse service to a customer carrying a weapon.

However, Hanson said that could come with consequences.

. . .

If there is a debate to be had on the law itself, the Wisconsin Restaurant Association said that should happen in the Legislature and not fall on individual businesses.

Old Grump

I have eaten at a lot of Culvers over the years including this one in Madison, If Craig has to consult with his lawyers before he can say yeah or nay then he doesn't need my business anymore. Let him keep his ninny, 'bad guns are scary lets call the police,' customers and see how well he does. To bad too because I like him and I like their service.

TyGuy

So, when's the next Madison get together to celebrate Culvers' decision? I want to eat there more often now.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I have eaten at a lot of Culvers over the years including this one in Madison, If Craig has to consult with his lawyers before he can say yeah or nay then he doesn't need my business anymore. Let him keep his ninny, 'bad guns are scary lets call the police,' customers and see how well he does. To bad too because I like him and I like their service.

In Craigs defense, I didn't see anything about the question being allow OC or not. It was whether or not to even have a policy about it. Someone correct me if I'm missing something.

In any case, he's got a corporation to run and with that comes the need for good PR. Maybe he only said he talked with their lawyers/reviewed their policy to make people feel at ease. Who knows? What's important is the outcome in this case.

I'm glad it turned out this way. Should invit him to the baraboo picnic! LOL.

Krusty

Coffee and Burgers

I have never been to a Culvers. And I have never been to a Starbucks. Onalaska has both and they are reasonably close together. Think I'm overdue for a coffee and a burger.

Jason in WI

I have never been to a Culvers. And I have never been to a Starbucks. Onalaska has both and they are reasonably close together. Think I'm overdue for a coffee and a burger.

I like Culvers, even more now :lol:. I use to hate Starbucks coffee but my g/f has been ordering me some complicated sounding concoctions and It's really growing on me.

BROKENSPROKET

So, when's the next Madison get together to celebrate Culvers' decision? I want to eat there more often now.

Sept. 25. I will be heading down to Madison after the OC Picnic in Baraboo. I know that others are intersted in caravaning down as well.

I will be in Madison Oct. 1-3. If anyone is interested.

I think an applause is needed for the Wisconsin Restaraunt Association as well.

protias

I'm glad to see they made the right call. Even better is they made this decision quickly! :monkey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Sterile carry - don't carry ID unless you have to

If folks really think they are going to be detained by police to see ID, then if practicable it might be best to avoid carrying ID that day - a person who has no ID and is searched for it, somthing they do not need ot have, is a more appealing plaintiff I think for a follow on civil action. You look more reasonable - "Sorry, I have no ID to show you."

Americans are not required to have or carry ID, nor can states make them. See Kolender v. Lawson summary at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolender_v._Lawson