Thread: Court ruling cite needed PD's cannot be held responisble sued if 911 caller is killed

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Question Court ruling cite needed PD's cannot be held responisble sued if 911 caller is killed

I got into a debate with an acquaintance about what to realistically expect if they do ever call 911 in a life or death situation. They could not believe that if someone called 911 for help & was killed due to the police not showing up for extended periods of time that they (Police Agencies) cannot be held liable.

Can anyone help with a MI or Supreme Court cite? Apparently my google skills are off- couldn't find it anywhere?

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Warren v. DC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_...ct_of_Columbia

Decision
    By a 4-3 decision the court decided that Warren was not entitled to remedy at the bar despite the demonstrable abuse and ineptitude on the part of the police. The court held that official police personnel and the government employing them are not generally liable to victims of criminal acts for a failure to provide adequate police protection.
    Last edited by dougwg; 09-21-2010 at 08:30 PM.

There are many cases listed on this page: http://www.endtimesreport.com/NO_AFFIRMATIVE_DUTY.htm

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Not to sound like a downer, but Im sure that happens more often then we think. It just doesnt goto court. I cant even believe people would think they could sue the Police over something like this!

Oh If i call the police I dont get put in a magic " safe zone " just like playing tag!?? No Way!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    I got into a debate with an acquaintance about what to realistically expect if they do ever call 911 in a life or death situation. They could not believe that if someone called 911 for help & was killed due to the police not showing up for extended periods of time that they (Police Agencies) cannot be held liable.

Can anyone help with a MI or Supreme Court cite? Apparently my google skills are off- couldn't find it anywhere?
    Ask your friend this question.

"Would you rather be alive, with a smoking gun in your hand, or are you more comfortable with the false notion of your survivors suing the police for not saving your life?"
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post

"Would you rather be alive, with a smoking gun in your hand, or are you more comfortable with the false notion of your survivors suing the police for not saving your life?"
    This is what it truly boils down to, isn't it. I love my kids but if they think that such a lawsuit will be their way to untold riches, they better have another plan ready...
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    This is what it truly boils down to, isn't it. I love my kids but if they think that such a lawsuit will be their way to untold riches, they better have another plan ready...
    +1 my friend

In the late 70's in Detroit a shots fired run would not even be dispatched till 30 minutes after it was called in by someone, then the dispatch would key down the microphone and say "any volunteer cars we have shots fired at Mack and Connors, shots fired at Alter and Jefferson, man down shots fired at Connors and I-94", and on and on the list would go with violent crimes. I have heard over a dozen calls listed this way asking for "volunteer" cars! With no officers available to answer. We once had a shooting where they battled it out for 20 plus minutes and no police showed up for 2 hours and 26 minutes, two gangs shooting it out! I know that now they no longer broadcast like that because the citizens got upset hearing these Friday and Saturday evenings and nights of no officers available on the Police scanners people had. Now the call stays in dispatch and the Officers are now blind sided by the news of a active shooter a half block away.

I trust my life to NO ONE! Growing up in that cesspool has made me resolute on that point.

So yes I will have a smoking gun and I will be safe, waiting for the man to clean up the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post

Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

To clarify the context of the debate

Basically a statement was made that "I'll call 911" to which I stated well what to do if they don't show? This drew a puzzled look & "what do you mean, they have to respond." I said that technically they do not as it has been ruled that their job is to enforce the law & not necessarily to protect you. To which I got a BULL$HIT. I told the other person that indeed this was true & that there are multiple rulings by the courts across the nation & this is why many LEO's feel that they are, for lack of a better term "beyond the law" because there is very little accountability when it comes to the "protect & serve" aspect of their jobs.

It is logistically impossible for the police to provide protection on an individual basis. In order for that to happen each person would have to have an officer that followed them around.

Also bear in mind that in many rural areas there are often only one or two county or state officers on duty in the evening for the entire county. There are just not enough officers on duty at any one time for them to provide individual protection.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine