• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court ruling cite needed PD's cannot be held responisble sued if 911 caller is killed

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I got into a debate with an acquaintance about what to realistically expect if they do ever call 911 in a life or death situation. They could not believe that if someone called 911 for help & was killed due to the police not showing up for extended periods of time that they (Police Agencies) cannot be held liable.

Can anyone help with a MI or Supreme Court cite? Apparently my google skills are off- couldn't find it anywhere?

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
Warren v. DC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

Decision
By a 4-3 decision the court decided that Warren was not entitled to remedy at the bar despite the demonstrable abuse and ineptitude on the part of the police. The court held that official police personnel and the government employing them are not generally liable to victims of criminal acts for a failure to provide adequate police protection.

Last edited:

jeremy05

Not to sound like a downer, but Im sure that happens more often then we think. It just doesnt goto court. I cant even believe people would think they could sue the Police over something like this!

Oh If i call the police I dont get put in a magic " safe zone " just like playing tag!?? No Way!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I got into a debate with an acquaintance about what to realistically expect if they do ever call 911 in a life or death situation. They could not believe that if someone called 911 for help & was killed due to the police not showing up for extended periods of time that they (Police Agencies) cannot be held liable.

Can anyone help with a MI or Supreme Court cite? Apparently my google skills are off- couldn't find it anywhere?
Ask your friend this question.

"Would you rather be alive, with a smoking gun in your hand, or are you more comfortable with the false notion of your survivors suing the police for not saving your life?"

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

"Would you rather be alive, with a smoking gun in your hand, or are you more comfortable with the false notion of your survivors suing the police for not saving your life?"

This is what it truly boils down to, isn't it. I love my kids but if they think that such a lawsuit will be their way to untold riches, they better have another plan ready...:D

Bailenforcer

In the late 70's in Detroit a shots fired run would not even be dispatched till 30 minutes after it was called in by someone, then the dispatch would key down the microphone and say "any volunteer cars we have shots fired at Mack and Connors, shots fired at Alter and Jefferson, man down shots fired at Connors and I-94", and on and on the list would go with violent crimes. I have heard over a dozen calls listed this way asking for "volunteer" cars! With no officers available to answer. We once had a shooting where they battled it out for 20 plus minutes and no police showed up for 2 hours and 26 minutes, two gangs shooting it out! I know that now they no longer broadcast like that because the citizens got upset hearing these Friday and Saturday evenings and nights of no officers available on the Police scanners people had. Now the call stays in dispatch and the Officers are now blind sided by the news of a active shooter a half block away.

I trust my life to NO ONE! Growing up in that cesspool has made me resolute on that point.

So yes I will have a smoking gun and I will be safe, waiting for the man to clean up the mess.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
To clarify the context of the debate

Basically a statement was made that "I'll call 911" to which I stated well what to do if they don't show? This drew a puzzled look & "what do you mean, they have to respond." I said that technically they do not as it has been ruled that their job is to enforce the law & not necessarily to protect you. To which I got a BULL$HIT. I told the other person that indeed this was true & that there are multiple rulings by the courts across the nation & this is why many LEO's feel that they are, for lack of a better term "beyond the law" because there is very little accountability when it comes to the "protect & serve" aspect of their jobs.

Bronson

It is logistically impossible for the police to provide protection on an individual basis. In order for that to happen each person would have to have an officer that followed them around.

Also bear in mind that in many rural areas there are often only one or two county or state officers on duty in the evening for the entire county. There are just not enough officers on duty at any one time for them to provide individual protection.

Bronson