• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Breaking off into Radical and not-so-radical?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I really dont see it in terms of drawing a line. Or winning and losing etc.

There is a way to educate the avg. citizen, unknowledgable LEO etc...in a productive, responsible manner. I do it daily. I open carry everywhere it is legal. When jane or joe blow citizen asks me why I carry or whatever...I communicate to to them why I carry and why I feel everyone should carry. Often it winds up being a decent conversation and hopefully gets them to think. All this while shopping with my 2 daughters (3 & w yrs old). How bad could a armed, big tattooed guy be with 2 little adorable girls...shopping in Walmart? As I said ...perception is key to getting any message across.

Now...should me and a few buds decide to just strap up and march around town, with witty signs and t-shirts, with no true direction....just because we can.....that is irresponsible, antagonistic and just looking for negative attention. The general public will sheepishly be intimidate by what appears (remember...perception is key) to the "irradict" behavior by several armed men. The police will arrive...more bad perception to passerby's. And, the police will now be watching for the "crazies" with guns.

Make no sense to me at all. Why push the issue to it's max when it is your right and you are legal? Just go about your business on a daily basis and deal with the occasional LE problem...why go looking for additional problems.

It's like my grandmother told me when I was 5."Don't be a bully and go looking for trouble. But..if a fight finds you, don't back down. Ever."

Sound advice even 31 years later.

These so-called activists like Ridley, Kwik, Kimberguy...etc are doing nothing to help. They are hurting OC.

But you did draw a line. You can call it what you want but you gave a version of behavior that is acceptable to you and what is not acceptable to you.

Not being from Wisconsin, I'll give you the benifit of the doubt as far as not knowing what has went on around here but people "marching" around in groups was exactly what Wisconsin needed to get the movment going. Without the picnics, trash pickups, and media attention we wouldn't be anywhere near where we need to be.

Once people stop getting harrased by LEO and the right is recognized across the whole state I agree that it can be toned down a knotch or two.

I also like your grandmothers advice. In this case I think she would agree that the "fight" has found us and we aren't backing down. If there wouldn't have been the initial few "out looking for trouble" (if looking for trouble means exercising your constitutional rights) everyone would still be worried about getting arrested every time they stepped out their door OC.

This isn't ancient history in Wisconsin, it's like 2 years ago.

Spartacus

Banned
I believe there are 2 sub camps. 1, which I belong to, wants unrestricted Constitutional Carry. The 2nd group wants permitted, training required.

Now, even though I am in group 1 and will advocate strongly for that position with my elected officials, I am not so militant that I would want Walker to veto any cc law that didn't meet my perfect world.

There another "camp" that sees the big picture and all sides of the argument. There are pluses and minuses to both restricted and moderately unrestricted carry as well as good and bad about mandated training.

It worries me that any idiot with 100 bucks will be able to pick up a Saturday night Special and carry it legally.

It also bothers me that someone would need 2 to 300 bucks for mandated training and permitting.

Is there an easy answer here? I've wrestled with the questions and I don't think so.

protias

There another "camp" that sees the big picture and all sides of the argument. There are pluses and minuses to both restricted and moderately unrestricted carry as well as good and bad about mandated training.

It worries me that any idiot with 100 bucks will be able to pick up a Saturday night Special and carry it legally.

It also bothers me that someone would need 2 to 300 bucks for mandated training and permitting.

Is there an easy answer here? I've wrestled with the questions and I don't think so.

What is a "Saturday Night Special?" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_night_special

eb31

Well said Spartacus. I'm in 100% agreement. There is no easy answer. Though it doesnt help anyone who values their right to carry to have a bunch of internet yahoos running around causing problems for everyone. That's got to stop.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Based on the outpouring of support for the Madison-5, I can tell you that WE are NOT seeing two, three, or four camps. Rather, we are seeing one solid movement towards FREEDOM!

Carry On!

Spartacus

Banned
Based on the outpouring of support for the Madison-5, I can tell you that WE are NOT seeing two, three, or four camps. Rather, we are seeing one solid movement towards FREEDOM!

The excitement about this too will pass and we will be back to slogging it out in the trenches in an attempt to sway public opinion and politicians to put forward acceptable legislation.

The Madison incident is great PR though if all the actors will play their parts correctly. The cops and the DA couldn't have acted more stupidly that is for sure.

Interceptor_Knight

While I try to fight the thought that these local ordinances and park restrictions are "open-carry" issues, instead of 2A issues, this type of information only makes it harder.
They are even more accurately, WI State Constitutional issues. WI law is bound by the WI State Constitution. Our Right to Bear Arms for ANY LAWFUL PURPOSE is affirmed by it....

PREAMBLE
We, the people of Wisconsin, grateful to Almighty God for
our freedom, in order to secure its blessings, form a more perfect
government, insure domestic tranquility and promote the general
welfare, do establish this constitution.
ARTICLE I.
DECLARATION OF RIGHTS
Right to keep and bear arms. SECTION 25. [As created
Nov. 1998] The people have the right to keep and bear arms for
security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

[1995 J.R. 27, 1997 J.R. 21, vote November 1998]

Last edited: