• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Life Saved by carrying - Mt. Airy

farkles

Perhaps a better written article http://www.wxii12.com/news/25113136/detail.html

This Pisses me off that neighbors has a bad policy about this!

Neighbors gas stations have signs posted that say NO CONCEALED weapons allowed. I called about this about a month ago and left a message with their head office requesting that they call me back to talk about this issue and requesting that they change their store policy. Never received a call back about it. Please everyone call Neighbors at 336-789- 5561 and email them at info@neighborsstores.com requesting that they change this store policy.

I called them today and said that I was very disappointed they never called me back, and that it was because someone broke their store policy that one of their clerks is ALIVE today; she would otherwise have been shot in the head. Thankfully the bad guy's gun malfunctioned with the first pull of the trigger.

I know we are "open carry", but I think we should also stand up for our right to carry how we choose and not exclude standing up for CC rights as well. Rambling now as I am furious they ignored me and now probably are too prideful to change. We will see. Thanks guys and gals!

farkles

I would like to follow up showing you what I just emailed to them...please consider sending them a similar email, but edit it to make it sound slightly different so they will understand these are different people sending email and their policy has a large impact on customers.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I called 4 or 5 weeks ago and left a message with your main phone number requesting a call back about the "no concealed weapons" policy. No one ever returned my call, and I am disappointed in that. I have been a Neighbors shopper for years, and have ceased to buy gas or inside items in the mean time because I feel less safe since I noticed that policy. I have had my Concealed Handgun Permit for 5 years and have been a gun owner for 10 years. I need to be able to protect myself and others need to be able to protect themselves from people meaning us harm outside your stores as well as inside your store.

You are obviously incredibly aware of the armed robbery and attempted murder at your store in Mount Airy (http://www.wxii12.com/news/25113136/detail.html). It was a trained Concealed Handgun Permit license holder that saved your clerks life. She would likely not be alive today if he had not been in the store at that moment. Thankfully he disobeyed your store policy and carried his legally owned gun in there anyways and saved a wonderful lady's life.

Please understand that we CHP holders want the right to carry our legally owned and possessed handguns in your store, like we do everywhere else in our community, for personal protection. It is simply a fact that the bad guys trying to hurt clerks and customers will never follow laws or obey signs you post on the door, while the good guys will. Please understand our point of view and kindly consider changing your policy. Thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,
xxxxxx xxxxxxx

spinner

excellent article, excellent letter. It's the only thing I like about CC, even though it say's no gun's, if it's hidden what do they know. Although if they allowed OC and the guy saw his gun he would have thought twice about robbing them.

smlawrence

I have a neighbors right around the corner from me and I haven't paid any attention to anything on their door since I haven't been in there in a while but will check it out tomorrow and talk to the manager there.

Ditto on the nice article and excellent letter. Sorry my first post didn't have much info as I posted it as soon as I saw it on the news this morning.

smlawrence

Just finished watching Fox 8's 6pm coverage on this story and I am proud to say that they admitted that the clerks husband did the right thing. Its a big difference then 12 hours ago when it was worded "Customer takes the law into his own hands". Praise the lord the gun didn't go off when he pulled the trigger. I was listening to the charges and I can't figure out why he isn't being charged with Attempted Murder. He pulled the trigger and to me that would mean he tried and failed. He'll get slapped on the wrist and do it again, he'll just be sure noone else is in the store. They said the clerks husband was a deputy a while back and reverted back to his training, shame it wasn't his aim to prevent this guy from doing it again.

Last edited:

jag06

Wow, I go past that station all the time on my way to Mt. Airy when I work at scout camp during the summer. Glad the husband had his gun with him.

Smith45acp

How did the BG not get charged with attempted murder?

Good question.

And I wish the reporters had picked up on the no weapons policy that was broken, saving a life in the process.

I've been carrying concealed all week for a change of pace. It is a lot easier when I'm not in a mood to talk with people.

papa bear

hey, sorry i didn't get to this sooner. i stopped by there this morning to see if i can get more info. the lady involved was at work, i asked her why in the world gary didn't give her a few days off. the store on 52 does not have anti 2a signs, but one of my relatives with the sheriff dept. pointed out that the one on hwy 74 near 77, where he frequents does have one. i went up to see how long it has been up and was told that it had been up for months (also, not in legally located, since it is in the window and not on the door). i mentioned to them,it is a good thing that the store on 52 didn't have that policy, or they all would have been dead.

i am hoping to use this to get some changes made in local anti 2a rules. i really like what sheriff graham has said about this. http://www.mtairynews.com/view/full...omer-arrested?instance=lead_story_left_column
i wished he aimed better

just a note Porkey's restaurant on Lebanon st. in mt. ariy has a no gun sign. i was going in there yesterday when i seen it and told them i would not do business there with that up.

farkle if you can contact me i know all the owners. i would appreciate any help you can give me, or if i can help you

farkles

hey, sorry i didn't get to this sooner. i stopped by there this morning to see if i can get more info. the lady involved was at work, i asked her why in the world gary didn't give her a few days off. the store on 52 does not have anti 2a signs, but one of my relatives with the sheriff dept. pointed out that the one on hwy 74 near 77, where he frequents does have one. i went up to see how long it has been up and was told that it had been up for months (also, not in legally located, since it is in the window and not on the door). i mentioned to them,it is a good thing that the store on 52 didn't have that policy, or they all would have been dead.

i am hoping to use this to get some changes made in local anti 2a rules. i really like what sheriff graham has said about this. http://www.mtairynews.com/view/full...omer-arrested?instance=lead_story_left_column
i wished he aimed better

just a note Porkey's restaurant on Lebanon st. in mt. ariy has a no gun sign. i was going in there yesterday when i seen it and told them i would not do business there with that up.

farkle if you can contact me i know all the owners. i would appreciate any help you can give me, or if i can help you

The one on Sandy Ridge Rd in Colfax has no CC allowed, but technically they DO allow OC, so I have not decided on whether or not I will ever shop there again.

Please go put Porkey's up on www.friendorfoe.com as anti gun, that way we all know to stay away. Also, to anyone else reading this, please continue to put any pro or anti gun establishment up there so we know where to send our money. I have added some to High Point/GSO area. Thanks!

smlawrence

The one on Sandy Ridge Rd in Colfax has no CC allowed, but technically they DO allow OC, so I have not decided on whether or not I will ever shop there again.

Please go put Porkey's up on www.friendorfoe.com as anti gun, that way we all know to stay away. Also, to anyone else reading this, please continue to put any pro or anti gun establishment up there so we know where to send our money. I have added some to High Point/GSO area. Thanks!

I just left the Neighbors on Sandy Ridge Rd and yes on the door it says "No Concealed Weapons". One of the clerks was outside the door washing the glass and told me that I could not enter OCing. I said that her sign said no concealed and she said I still could not enter. I told her that was a shame because a gun is what saved the clerk at the other store and tried to talk more about it but she would not listen as she told me she didn't care to talk about it. I'm afraid that I won't be returning to that store and I will pray another criminal doesn't try to rob this Neighbors.

papa bear

just got off the phone with Mike Estes (not sure about the spelling), the defender at the Neighbors. real nice guy. i asked him if he was ok, he said he had 9 years experience in le (ret.) and had no problems with what he did. his son is in law enforcement now. and everyone is very pro 2a.
and he said to tell everyone that carries to send messages to Neighbors and get those signs took down

Last edited:

farkles

just got off the phone with Mike Estes (not sure about the spelling), the defender at the Neighbors. real nice guy. i asked him if he was ok, he said he had 9 years experience in le (ret.) and had no problems with what he did. his son is in law enforcement now. and everyone is very pro 2a.
and he said to tell everyone that carries to send messages to Neighbors and get those signs took down

Yes, PLEASE keep emailing and calling them, eventually they might get the message

Dreamer

by the way, he said he carries an para ordinance in 45 cal. "has a sweet trigger":D

Although I pray every day that I won't ever have to deploy my Para in such a situation, I will concur 100% with this man about the action of the Para.

Any idea which one? I'm assuming it wasn't a full-size double stack model, if he was CCing (but it is possible--I do it sometimes). We Para owners and fans would like to know exactly which Para model he was carrying...

sultan62

Although I pray every day that I won't ever have to deploy my Para in such a situation, I will concur 100% with this man about the action of the Para.

Any idea which one? I'm assuming it wasn't a full-size double stack model, if he was CCing (but it is possible--I do it sometimes). We Para owners and fans would like to know exactly which Para model he was carrying...

I'm kinda hoping I can't make it out to one of the OCDO range days. I get the feeling if I shoot a Para I'm gonna become a fun much earlier than I can afford to be...

smlawrence

glad to hear he is ok. i plan on bugging the **** of them cause it really upset me that she wouldnt even let me OC even though it wasn't prohibited by signage. I was a regular customer at this store, she knew I wasn't a criminal, yet denied entry. And for her to be so quick to dismiss the conversation tells me what kind of person she is. Being so new to this fight for the 2ndA rights, I can see how difficult a fight this has been for those who have been fighting it.

sultan62

glad to hear he is ok. i plan on bugging the **** of them cause it really upset me that she wouldnt even let me OC even though it wasn't prohibited by signage. I was a regular customer at this store, she knew I wasn't a criminal, yet denied entry. And for her to be so quick to dismiss the conversation tells me what kind of person she is. Being so new to this fight for the 2ndA rights, I can see how difficult a fight this has been for those who have been fighting it.

In her defense, I highly doubt it was her choice. It's very possible that she has been having that very discussion with people all day, or that she agrees with you but has been told not to express her views about it while on the job.

Of course, it's also possible that she's against it. We just need to remember we don't know all the facts.

smlawrence

Well here is the letter I sent off to them,

I have some serious concerns about the "no concealed weapons" policy. I own and operate a Landscape Business and have been a Neighbors shopper here in Colfax for years purchasing gas for all of my equipment and trucks while my crew and I shopped inside for snacks, drinks, and cigarettes and have ceased to buy gas or inside items in the mean time because I feel less safe since I noticed that policy. I have been a trained gun owner for 12 years and my wife has had her Concealed Handgun Permit for 15 years and has been a trained gun owner for 18 years. NC is a “Open Carry” State, which allows a law abiding citizen to openly carry a holstered handgun in public without a permit. I was not allowed to enter while open carrying my handgun even though your policy exactly states “No Concealed Weapons”, which did not apply to me. I need to be able to protect myself, my employees, my family and others around me (including your employees). Law Abiding Citizens need to be able to protect themselves from people meaning us harm outside and inside your stores.

You are obviously incredibly aware of the armed robbery and attempted murder at your store in Mount Airy. It was a trained Concealed Handgun Permit license holder that saved your clerks life. She would likely not be alive today if he had not been in the store at that moment. Thankfully he disobeyed your store policy and carried his legally owned gun in there anyways and saved his wife’s life.

Please understand that we Law Abiding Citizens & CHP holders want the right to carry our legally owned and possessed handguns openly & concealed in your store, like we do everywhere else in our community, for personal protection. It is simply a fact that the bad guys trying to hurt clerks and customers will never follow laws or obey signs you post on the door, while the good guys will. Please understand our point of view and kindly consider changing your policy. Please be sure to email me if your company does change your policy so I can return to filling all the gas tanks for my business and return to shopping for my convenience store needs while driving as the Neighbors on Sandy Ridge Rd is the closest and most reasonable priced store near my shop location. But I will continue to drive further and pay slightly higher prices because no matter the difference in cost, it will be worth the safety of my life and the lives around me. I would love to be able to inform the others that live in this area that they will be able to return to Neighbors and feel safe if the policy gets changed. Thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,