Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Shotgun light+mount recommendations

  1. #1
    Regular Member 4angrybadgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    411

    Shotgun light+mount recommendations

    After reading the excellent and plentiful advice given in Jim Thorpe's thread asking about a home defense shotgun, I had some more questions about recommendations for a shotgun light+mount.

    I have a Remington 870 Express 20ga Youth model (1" or 2" shorter LOP, so my wife can hold it comfortably) with the standard 4-round tube. I have a $100 prepaid Amex card that I can devote to this project, so I'd like to keep the total cost under $100.

    Here are the options I've seen so far:
    -ATI clamp + Surefire G2 LED (advantage: flashlight can be used standalone)
    -Botach Tactical Light Package 1 (I've heard mixed reviews about Botach. Not sure how stable the "universal" shotgun mount is, and if it will work well on a 20ga barrel. Advantage: the flashlight can be used by itself.)
    -Botach Tactical Light Package 2 (Same as above. Light has a strobe function, not sure if that's useful or not. If I ever upgraded to a full-size pistol I might be able to use the TLR-1s on the pistol also.)
    -Streamlight 870 mount + a Streamlight TLR-1/2/3 (If I can fit a TLR-3 on there, I'll have the option of using it on my Springfield XD40 subcompact. Not entirely sure if that 870 mount works with the TLR series though.)

    Thoughts? Advice? Ridicule?

  2. #2
    Activist Member swinokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montgomery County, MD
    Posts
    984
    several manufactures make a picatinny rail that you can mount on your shotgun. Then you can mount any kind of light you like. TR3 can be moved around between you weapons. surefire makes one but it's probably expensive. i saw a mount on ebay for 25 dollars.

    look here as well. www.candewman.com
    Last edited by swinokur; 09-22-2010 at 10:01 AM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member TyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    775
    UTG barrel clamp with picatinny rail. It attaches to the barrel or the tube magazine. I put a little black rubber tool drawer liner behind mine to not scratch the Mossberg. It was $10 and works great.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Real World.
    Posts
    1,705
    You're probably going to end up spending a little more than 100 bucks to get something dependable. Shop around on www.cheaperthandirt.com and see what's best for you.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

  5. #5
    Activist Member swinokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montgomery County, MD
    Posts
    984
    whatever you do get an LED light. They can deal with recoil better than filament based lights.

  6. #6
    Regular Member 4angrybadgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    UTG barrel clamp with picatinny rail. It attaches to the barrel or the tube magazine. I put a little black rubber tool drawer liner behind mine to not scratch the Mossberg. It was $10 and works great.
    Cool, that's something I had missed. Is it stable - does the light stay still even with recoil or accidental impacts?

    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    whatever you do get an LED light. They can deal with recoil better than filament based lights.
    That's a very good point. Yes, I was planning on an LED light - all my handheld lights are LED and I'll never go back.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    An ATI clamp with the G2 will work very well, particularly if you mount it in such a way that you can manipulate it easily from a pose where you have a bead drawn on a bad guy. (You want to be able to control it easily, because a light that's on is a big shoot me sign). G2's will hold up okay for at least 500 rounds in my experience, but you can always take them off at the range during the day time.

    There are aftermarket parts available for 25 dollars or so that replace the tail cap on a sure fire with a pressure switch on a wire, which you can mount to the slide. Surefire would rather sell a 200 dollar system, so they don't sell them, gotta get them aftermarket. But they are available, and a good idea if you wish to be able to manipulate the light this way.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Best bet is to be familiar enough with shotgun operations that you can hit what you're aiming at, whether it's at your shoulder, cradled mid-chest, or at your hip.

    I see very well in the dark. If I ever encounter an intruder situation that gets me out of bed, I keep the lights off. That way I have the advantage.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Real World.
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Best bet is to be familiar enough with shotgun operations that you can hit what you're aiming at, whether it's at your shoulder, cradled mid-chest, or at your hip.

    I see very well in the dark. If I ever encounter an intruder situation that gets me out of bed, I keep the lights off. That way I have the advantage.
    I have fairly good night vision myself, but I still like having lights on guns. That way I know for certain who I'm about to neutralize.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

  10. #10
    Regular Member 4angrybadgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    An ATI clamp with the G2 will work very well, particularly if you mount it in such a way that you can manipulate it easily from a pose where you have a bead drawn on a bad guy. (You want to be able to control it easily, because a light that's on is a big shoot me sign). G2's will hold up okay for at least 500 rounds in my experience, but you can always take them off at the range during the day time.

    There are aftermarket parts available for 25 dollars or so that replace the tail cap on a sure fire with a pressure switch on a wire, which you can mount to the slide. Surefire would rather sell a 200 dollar system, so they don't sell them, gotta get them aftermarket. But they are available, and a good idea if you wish to be able to manipulate the light this way.
    Awesome. I'll probably end up getting the ATI clamp. I did plan on purchasing a remote pressure switch for ease of use.

    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Best bet is to be familiar enough with shotgun operations that you can hit what you're aiming at, whether it's at your shoulder, cradled mid-chest, or at your hip.

    I see very well in the dark. If I ever encounter an intruder situation that gets me out of bed, I keep the lights off. That way I have the advantage.
    I have fairly good night vision (I won't say "excellent", because it probably isn't excellent), but I want to be able to positively ID who's in a room. Especially in the future, when my child (or children, we'll see) is in another room.

    Quote Originally Posted by PrayingForWar View Post
    I have fairly good night vision myself, but I still like having lights on guns. That way I know for certain who I'm about to neutralize.
    ++ If I pick up my XD I have a 3-D-cell LED Maglite in the other hand. That will burn your eyeballs out... I know this from personal experience. It's a bit too large and heavy to mount on the 870 though, and a pump obviously requires both hands.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by PrayingForWar View Post
    I have fairly good night vision myself, but I still like having lights on guns. That way I know for certain who I'm about to neutralize.
    I hear what you're saying, and that's certainly a factor. No one wants to shoot a family member, friend, neighbor, or a maintenance member from their apartment complex.

    Perhaps my situation is a bit different than yours, as I live alone, and parents, friends, and the apartment maintenance staff knows to never open my door! I have a standing order on file with the management that I must present for all maintenance visits/inspections, as per the option listen when I signed my lease.

    The maintenance staff learned that lesson the hard way, when they unlocked my door without knocking and just walked in one morning back in March. The turn of the key in my lock gave me enough time to grab my gun and position myself behind the corner of my living room wall (makeshift barricade). I'm friends with the maintenance supervisor, and as soon as I recognized him I stepped out and lowered my weapon. He still became visibly shaken when he saw it, but I simply said, "Dave1, you know I took option B. Next time, please knock, ok?"

    They've never pulled that stunt again.

    1Not his real name.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •