Thread: Richmond crackhouse raid shows business owner OC'ing

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Richmond crackhouse raid shows business owner OC'ing

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Thumbs up

I found it at about 1:30... but nice to see nonetheless.

End the war on [some] drugs - it is part-and-parcel to people hiding out in abandoned buildings and using dangerous implements and secrecy to hide their governmentally-stigmatized habits...

But for God sakes, don't be shooting up around your kids!
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    I found it at about 1:30... but nice to see nonetheless.

End the war on [some] drugs - it is part-and-parcel to people hiding out in abandoned buildings and using dangerous implements and secrecy to hide their governmentally-stigmatized habits...

But for God sakes, don't be shooting up around your kids!
    Yep, RPD seemed to be interacting with the man just fine on the street. No worries.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Yep, RPD seemed to be interacting with the man just fine on the street. No worries.
    Agreed.

You know, it's been a while since there was any serious "negative" publicized OC interaction I am beginning to wonder if Norfolk has finally tightened up?

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ocnews.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	3992
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

What I found most disturbing...

I found the reporter's grammar/spelling mistake at the end of the 5th paragrapgh to be most disturbing. He doesn't know the difference between "they're" and "their"??? Even my 11 year old knows this. He was reading the article over my shoulder and said to me "Dad, didn't the reporter write what the cop said?" I told him if it was in quotes, then it was supposed to be as it was spoken. He replied "Well, there isn't a difference between the spoken 'They're' and 'their', but when you write it, don't you think he should have known better?"

I guess reporters aren't as smart as 6th graders.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    I found the reporter's grammar/spelling mistake at the end of the 5th paragrapgh to be most disturbing. He doesn't know the difference between "they're" and "their"??? Even my 11 year old knows this. He was reading the article over my shoulder and said to me "Dad, didn't the reporter write what the cop said?" I told him if it was in quotes, then it was supposed to be as it was spoken. He replied "Well, there isn't a difference between the spoken 'They're' and 'their', but when you write it, don't you think he should have known better?"

I guess reporters aren't as smart as 6th graders.
    It's probably proofreading.
    I used several software packages a year or so ago that did the same thing. They would correct grammar mistakes but couldn't decide on proper usage if there were multiple choices.

I had to carefully proof everything. I stopped using it because it was easier just to make the mistake and own up to it as my own.

WWBT's news articles are full of those errors.

You're probably right, Peter. It seems proof readers have gone the way of the Dodo bird.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

You want to have some fun? Sit and watch the local news here in Richmond and really pay attention.

The reporters look at the wrong camera, the graphics behind them have nothing to do with the story they are reading, etc.

The people who run the character generator apparently have a 1st grade education. Spelling is terrible. I see words on the screen like Chesterfeeld all the time.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Thumbs down

There were a couple of girls calling matchups and scores at a wrestling tourney I competed in when I was in high school.

They kept pronouncing Gloucester - glow (like "ow", not "oh") custer. Nobody ever corrected them. It was horrendous.

Centurion

VCDL member

The armed store owner is a VCDL member.

Quote Originally Posted by VCDL President View Post
    As he should be!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Campaign Veteran
    I'm glad they shut down the house, but if the owner wasn't there and the paraphernalia was on the 2nd floor (not plain sight), what authority did they have to enter? Just because there's no one living in a place and the grass looks like it needs mowed shouldn't give them access to the dwelling, right?

I suppose they had received tips from neighbors, so maybe they got a warrant ahead of time, but I didn't read or hear that in the report. Maybe they could smell something, but the house looked pretty new and sealed up, from the video at least.

I'm just trying to figure out how they go from a neighborhood walk (which was their original plan according to the report) to walking in someone's house because it's empty.

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by bnkrazy; 09-24-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bnkrazy View Post

Am I missing something?
    Yep, I'm guessing exigent circumstances.

If dey smoke ups all da Meth, dey won't be no mo Meth fo' da popo to find!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Yep, I'm guessing exigent circumstances.

If dey smoke ups all da Meth, dey won't be no mo Meth fo' da popo to find!
    So if someone calls in a tip that there's dope in my house, or even if they think they smell something walking by, they can come in and check without a warrant because I might smoke it?

That don't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by bnkrazy View Post
    So if someone calls in a tip that there's dope in my house, or even if they think they smell something walking by, they can come in and check without a warrant because I might smoke it?

That don't seem right.
    Its a bit more involved than that.

Usually, with a crack house, you see certain things that will help you determine that criminal activity is afoot. If you monitor things for a while, you usually can get what you need.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

The theory of "Community Caretaker" can come into play regarding an apparently abandoned building with an open door. THe police can enter to determine what risks the building may pose in its current condotion, the need to find and contact the owner to eliminate common or attractive nuisances, and to report certain unsafe conditions which do/may threaten adjoining structures. For the same reason the cops may poke their heads and body into your home if, when passing by, they see the front door open/ajar when such would otherwise be out of line. They are supposed to verbally announce their presence before crossing the threshold, as well as before moving from one room to another or going up/down stairs from the level of their initial entry.

As there is no indication that the police took any items into evidence (spoons, vials, syringes, jars, etc.) or for forensic testing (fingerprints, DNA), I do not believe any 4th Amemdment issues arose.

If they walked by an occupied structure (either persons actually inside or evidence suggesting residence) they would need to obtain a search warrant if the suspicion was based on either a tip or smelling something as they walked by. Of course, they could knock on the door and ask to speak with you in order to obtain more Reasonable Articulatable Suspicion/Probable Cause for the warrant - including your refusal to open the door to talk with them.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by VCDL President View Post
    Smart man. Looks like a shady neighborhood, hopefully the community can turn things around.
    Last edited by IanB; 09-25-2010 at 09:42 PM.