• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond crackhouse raid shows business owner OC'ing

wylde007

I found it at about 1:30... but nice to see nonetheless.

End the war on [some] drugs - it is part-and-parcel to people hiding out in abandoned buildings and using dangerous implements and secrecy to hide their governmentally-stigmatized habits...

But for God sakes, don't be shooting up around your kids!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I found it at about 1:30... but nice to see nonetheless.

End the war on [some] drugs - it is part-and-parcel to people hiding out in abandoned buildings and using dangerous implements and secrecy to hide their governmentally-stigmatized habits...

But for God sakes, don't be shooting up around your kids!

Yep, RPD seemed to be interacting with the man just fine on the street. No worries.

MSC 45ACP

What I found most disturbing...

I found the reporter's grammar/spelling mistake at the end of the 5th paragrapgh to be most disturbing. He doesn't know the difference between "they're" and "their"??? Even my 11 year old knows this. He was reading the article over my shoulder and said to me "Dad, didn't the reporter write what the cop said?" I told him if it was in quotes, then it was supposed to be as it was spoken. He replied "Well, there isn't a difference between the spoken 'They're' and 'their', but when you write it, don't you think he should have known better?"

I guess reporters aren't as smart as 6th graders.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I found the reporter's grammar/spelling mistake at the end of the 5th paragrapgh to be most disturbing. He doesn't know the difference between "they're" and "their"??? Even my 11 year old knows this. He was reading the article over my shoulder and said to me "Dad, didn't the reporter write what the cop said?" I told him if it was in quotes, then it was supposed to be as it was spoken. He replied "Well, there isn't a difference between the spoken 'They're' and 'their', but when you write it, don't you think he should have known better?"

I guess reporters aren't as smart as 6th graders.

It's probably proofreading.
I used several software packages a year or so ago that did the same thing. They would correct grammar mistakes but couldn't decide on proper usage if there were multiple choices.

I had to carefully proof everything. I stopped using it because it was easier just to make the mistake and own up to it as my own.

WWBT's news articles are full of those errors.

ProShooter

You want to have some fun? Sit and watch the local news here in Richmond and really pay attention.

The reporters look at the wrong camera, the graphics behind them have nothing to do with the story they are reading, etc.

The people who run the character generator apparently have a 1st grade education. Spelling is terrible. I see words on the screen like Chesterfeeld all the time.

wylde007

There were a couple of girls calling matchups and scores at a wrestling tourney I competed in when I was in high school.

They kept pronouncing Gloucester - glow (like "ow", not "oh") custer. Nobody ever corrected them. It was horrendous.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
I'm glad they shut down the house, but if the owner wasn't there and the paraphernalia was on the 2nd floor (not plain sight), what authority did they have to enter? Just because there's no one living in a place and the grass looks like it needs mowed shouldn't give them access to the dwelling, right?

I suppose they had received tips from neighbors, so maybe they got a warrant ahead of time, but I didn't read or hear that in the report. Maybe they could smell something, but the house looked pretty new and sealed up, from the video at least.

I'm just trying to figure out how they go from a neighborhood walk (which was their original plan according to the report) to walking in someone's house because it's empty.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
Yep, I'm guessing exigent circumstances.

If dey smoke ups all da Meth, dey won't be no mo Meth fo' da popo to find! :)

So if someone calls in a tip that there's dope in my house, or even if they think they smell something walking by, they can come in and check without a warrant because I might smoke it?

That don't seem right.

ProShooter

So if someone calls in a tip that there's dope in my house, or even if they think they smell something walking by, they can come in and check without a warrant because I might smoke it?

That don't seem right.

Its a bit more involved than that.

Usually, with a crack house, you see certain things that will help you determine that criminal activity is afoot. If you monitor things for a while, you usually can get what you need.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The theory of "Community Caretaker" can come into play regarding an apparently abandoned building with an open door. THe police can enter to determine what risks the building may pose in its current condotion, the need to find and contact the owner to eliminate common or attractive nuisances, and to report certain unsafe conditions which do/may threaten adjoining structures. For the same reason the cops may poke their heads and body into your home if, when passing by, they see the front door open/ajar when such would otherwise be out of line. They are supposed to verbally announce their presence before crossing the threshold, as well as before moving from one room to another or going up/down stairs from the level of their initial entry.

As there is no indication that the police took any items into evidence (spoons, vials, syringes, jars, etc.) or for forensic testing (fingerprints, DNA), I do not believe any 4th Amemdment issues arose.

If they walked by an occupied structure (either persons actually inside or evidence suggesting residence) they would need to obtain a search warrant if the suspicion was based on either a tip or smelling something as they walked by. Of course, they could knock on the door and ask to speak with you in order to obtain more Reasonable Articulatable Suspicion/Probable Cause for the warrant - including your refusal to open the door to talk with them.

stay safe.