• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What caliber does your local LEO carry?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Yakima Police Department allows for a .38 and higher with a max of a 45ACP, most choose the 40S&W with a max of 6" barrel.
The .38 are used by plain clothes or as a backup weapon.

Now about someone carrying an AK-47 Pistol, can you imagine what a jury would think when deciding his faith as a reasonable person?

Personally I carry a Springfield XD 40 SubCompact or the Service Model in 40 as well.

Last edited:

amlevin

That's interesting to know. I love my Ruger Redhawk in .41 Magnum.

When the .41 Mag was first introduced it was "The latest in Police loadings for duty pistols". As usual there were complaints about size and recoil. This was the beginning of the "affirmative action" era for women on patrol in police departments. It became victim to its power but also was only a "six-shooter". Police departments were starting to look at the Beretta and other "9's" because of capacity. First 9's then the FBI favorite the 10mm followed by complaints of IT's Recoil. That's where we are today with the downloaded 10mm we call a .40 S&W.

killchain

I have family in the Kennewick Police Dept., and he says they've switched over to .40S&W M&P's.

Benton County Sheriff's Dept. carries Sig Sauer .40S&W's last I heard.

I don't know about Richland or Pasco, but I'm assuming if they're following the trend they're using the .40S&W caliber.