• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What caliber does your local LEO carry?

amlevin

There have been numerous posts over the years that suggest one should carry the "same as Law Enforcement Carries" in your area to avoid "issues" should you have to shoot someone in Self Defense. I don't see this as a valid argument in Washington as the law allows the use of "Deadly Force" when Self Defense is warranted. I don't wish to start a discussion on what's good, bad, or start a "Caliber War", I am just curious what Police Departments in Washington are issuing/carrying. Over the years I have seen the progression from .38Spl., 38Spl +P, .357 Magnum, 9mm, .45acp, and .40 S&W. Have also seen a few .41 Mag, 10mm, but no .44 Mag's. (Guess Dirty Harry was a loner).

What do the LEO's in your City, County, Area, Carry for a Duty Firearm?

Guest1650

I have a couple good friends that i shoot with, all LEO's.. 40 S&W seems to be the choice.. I know a few choice LEO's that caryy the 1911's in 45.

When doing my job.. I carried the .40 for a long time.. Ive recently upgraded to a 45.

talked to a county guy yesterday.. he carries the .40 "hornady tap" rounds - on issue from his department.

A few months back.. there was an attempted bank robbery in centralia, I don't mean to revive an old issue. Just making a point here.

Officer shoots, and hits BG not once.. but twice. with his 9mm . BG gets in a taxi, and heads up north!

Word on the street is...that officer upgraded to a .40 or.45 cal.

G20-IWB24/7

Tacoma PD

TPD is currently issuing Glocks & Kimbers

G21 (.45ACP), G22 (.40), or G23 (.40)

Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II or Stainless Pro Carry HD II (the 'regular' one is an alloy frame, the HD is stainless) both are .45ACP.

As far as ammo, I ran into a guy from TPD in a gunshop a while back and he handed me one of his mags (when I asked what ammo they issued---"This.") and it was Remington Golden Saber. Don't know what weight they were, neither did he. This was a while ago, so it could have changed since then.

-G20

Guest1650

All of the people I was speaking of.. and the weapons they used, were on duty.

Hornady tap. Napavine - .40

Hornady tap. Chehalis tribal - .40

Centralia, Mixed between .40/and .45 Hornady critical defense - and gold dots.

Im only authorized to use defense rounds as well.. I carry the .45 critical defense. by hornady

I work with alot of departments, and agencies state wide on my average day.

Clallam Co. deputies carry .40 - Remington 155 grain JHP

Most state patrol i have worked in conjunction with carry the S&W M&P duty model, in a .40 . or a .45.

Most agencies and departments have completely ridden off the 9mm luger.

Hope that helps.

bwboley

Activist Member
my grandpa retired detective for portland police carried a glock 19 9mm and when he first started a Ruger Security-Six .357 Magnum Revolver

He was one of the testers for portland police testing all kinds of guns and picked the glock

Last edited:

G20-IWB24/7

Lakewood PD

G22's w/ Speer Gold Dot

You'll probably find that this is about the most popular combination across the nation. A .40 caliber Glock w/GD ammo. Some departments will allow flexibility for the size as well, such as G22 or G23 for uniform usage and G27 for plainclothes/deep cover/BUG duties.

FBI is G23 w/Gold Dot.

G20-IWB24/7

I know that the US Secret Service (POTUS detail) carries .357sig.

Yup, and that's all USSS (not just POTUS detail). P229 is standard issue w/125gr Speer Gold Dot.

Also, FAMs (Federal Air Marshall) are also issued the P229 in .357Sig w/the same ammunition. They are allowed a BUG/Off-Duty gun, but it can only be either another P229 or a P239, also in .357Sig.

massivedesign

Quick question, and not to take away from this thread, but all the agencies that force Sig's (USSS etc), what do they do about the southpaw lefty shooter (like me). Sig's are not Ambi friendly like 1911's, HK's etc that can be setup for lefty/ambi.

Just curious.

amlevin

Yup, and that's all USSS (not just POTUS detail). P229 is standard issue w/125gr Speer Gold Dot.

Also, FAMs (Federal Air Marshall) are also issued the P229 in .357Sig w/the same ammunition. They are allowed a BUG/Off-Duty gun, but it can only be either another P229 or a P239, also in .357Sig.

Just a quick note for anyone interested in a Sig P-229 but can't decide on a caliber. Buy one in .40 S&W. With a barrel change it can be a .357 Sig. Barsto makes a 9mm barrel that will fit this frame so with one frame, you can have three calibers with simple changes. You do have to use the 9mm mags with the 9 bbl but the .40 and .357Sig use the same.

G20-IWB24/7

Quick question, and not to take away from this thread, but all the agencies that force Sig's (USSS etc), what do they do about the southpaw lefty shooter (like me). Sig's are not Ambi friendly like 1911's, HK's etc that can be setup for lefty/ambi.

Just curious.

Its all about training. Using the decock lever on a Sig (DA/SA one) is not a combat-necessary function, so you're down to pulling the trigger (which is ambidextrous-friendly), working the mag release (left side of frame for the thumb of a right handed shooter) and slide stop (to finish a speed reload). The mag release can be manipulated with the index or middle finger of the shooting hand and the right hand can rack the slide to complete the speed load. I've even seen a stretched trigger finger hit the slide release to close the slide, if the support hand isn't available. I'm right-handed and when I do have an ambi gun (USP, etc...) I find myself using my trigger finger to use the mag release from the right, instead of the traditional way of reaching around with my thumbs like I do on my Glocks or 1911's. And getting one's finger out-and-away from the trigger during a reload is a good thing anyways, so why not put it to work during the event?

To not distract from the thread...

Port of Seattle PD carries mostly Glocks (don't know what caliber) but I know of one POS SWAT officer that I saw with a Springfield Stainless TRP w/CTC Lasergrips.

Trigger Dr

And the mag release on the SIG can be switched from left side to right side. Very easily accomplished.