• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Now for the long wait!

NMBill

Things Appear to Be Improving

When I applied for my permit in April, it took about 16 weeks -- almost four months. My wife applied in June and received hers last week -- about a 3 month wait. Things appear to be improving. Keep busy and don't think about it.

NMBill

Congrats

Congratulations - carry often and be safe. Sounds like the Concealed Carry unit has gotten it together. Four months (in my case), to about three (in my wife's case) and now down to a month. Pretty dramatic improvement over the course of six months.

The Concealed Carry unit does have a 30-day decision deadline, once they have received all the background clearances. According to other posters, the unit said that the FBI clearance was the hold up. And, according to some other posters, the problem was that the CC unit was taking a looonnnng time to submit the clearance paperwork to the FBI. Whatever. Good to see that they've sped the process up.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Can you imagine it taking 3 or 4 months to get your driving license?

Prefer Virginia's way which sets a time limit and protects against foot dragging.

"If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection H, until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified. If the applicant is found to be disqualified after the de facto permit is issued, the applicant shall surrender the de facto permit to the court and the disqualification shall be deemed a denial of the permit and a revocation of the de facto permit."
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

EMtnMan

Just Under 60 Days

I brought my application in on September 14th. I called the other day and they were processing it and said I should have it by the end of next week which would be just under 60 days.

sultan62

90 day limit here in NC. My Sheriff's department said typically it's 45-60 days, and I applied 10/15.

MDA_II

Good deal.

Our new Governor (elect) is a concealed carry permit holder and user. Both my wife and I spoke with her about the CC departments issues and she was aware of them.

Be nice to see an increase in staffing for that office thru lateral transfers within the DPS department if it somes to that....

castiel

I just finished the class and am working on my application. Did you guys submit both the health release form and the notarized release of information form? The one my instructor gave me has a blank line and he told us to write "self" in as the agent, which doesn't really make sense to me. The one on the DPS website has NMDPS as the agent. What is even more confusing is that someone I know who recently got a permit never saw or submitted this form. Is it really needed? I have never been arrested so I have no arrest records to obtain, if that matters.

Thanks!

AH.74

I just finished the class and am working on my application. Did you guys submit both the health release form and the notarized release of information form? The one my instructor gave me has a blank line and he told us to write "self" in as the agent, which doesn't really make sense to me. The one on the DPS website has NMDPS as the agent. What is even more confusing is that someone I know who recently got a permit never saw or submitted this form. Is it really needed? I have never been arrested so I have no arrest records to obtain, if that matters.

Thanks!

Yes, submit both forms. Download the one from the DPS website- you are authorizing/appointing the DPS to be the agent. That is the one which needs to be notarized.