Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jared Galleria Of Jewelry - Robbed

Jared Galleria Of Jewelry - Robbed

Jared Galleria Of Jewelry in Utica was just robbed at gun point. The suspects also used Mace on several people. This particular business was posted no firearms allowed. I feel sorry for the workers and patrons as no individual should have to experience this. However, when will people realize that criminals don't care. This incident only proves that point.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/25115506/detail.html
    Last edited by sprinklerguy28; 09-22-2010 at 12:26 PM.

how did the robbers get the gun in the store? I mean the store had the no guns allowed sign up right? hmmm. Only way in with a gun I see are...

1. The sign was backwards, although the robber would not be able to leave the store WITH his gun upon seeing the sign as he trys to leave after the robbery.

2. The sign was not up that day.

3. The robber was a warlock

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    criminals aren't the only people who ignore their HUGE sign...
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

These companies fail to realize a good portion of criminals may be illiterate making their signs as understandable as quantum physics. It's the only logical reason someone would ignore such an important sign, no?
    Last edited by scot623; 09-22-2010 at 01:12 PM.

hehe

He went to Jared's!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kovernm View Post
    he went to jared's!!! Lol
    lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iím in total shock this place was robbed as it is posted no firearms. I canít believe someone would disregard a no weapons sign. Now on a side note, will management re-think their logic on this??????

My first reaction, quite honestly, was to think of Nelson Muntz.

You can either demonize violence completely, romantasize it, or take a sensible approach towards preparedness. Jared's chose not to permit preparedness at their stores. Hard to have sympathy for them at this point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simpsons_nelson_haha.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	3996  
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post

You can either demonize violence completely, romantasize it, or take a sensible approach towards preparedness. Jared's chose not to permit preparedness at their stores. Hard to have sympathy for them at this point.
    I think it is one thing to question/mock their descision to post an ineffective "no firearm sign", quite another to "laugh at them" for being robbed. Let's not forget about the innocent people who went to work this morning to help pay their bills, and went home traumatized. OCers are not heartless, let's not look like we are.

Criminals... 1

Myopic business... 0

Guess who's winning?

Warning... my personal opinions follow:

Quite frankly I consider a business or even an individual who restricts the right of citizens to legally carry a gun as "aiding and abetting" the criminal illegally carrying a gun by actively providing an atmosphere conducive to criminal behavior... ie.. making it easy to commit a crime.

I also consider those businesses and individuals who know criminals do not obey the law and carry guns illegally for the purpose of committing crimes but stop lawful citizens from carrying a gun and having the lawful ability to defend themselves from the criminals .. to be guilty of reckless endangerment.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

If i'm not mistaken, the Madison Heights store was robbed a couple weeks ago also.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    I think they should invest in a larger sign so this type of thing doesn't happen in the future.

they would have to invest in a billboard to make the sign any bigger. it takes up nearly the whole window next to their door.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post

Quite frankly I consider a business or even an individual who restricts the right of citizens to legally carry a gun as "aiding and abetting" the criminal illegally carrying a gun by actively providing an atmosphere conducive to criminal behavior... ie.. making it easy to commit a crime.

I also consider those businesses and individuals who know criminals do not obey the law and carry guns illegally for the purpose of committing crimes but stop lawful citizens from carrying a gun and having the lawful ability to defend themselves from the criminals .. to be guilty of reckless endangerment.
    I couldn't have said it any better!
    Last edited by budlight; 09-22-2010 at 01:59 PM.

i just sent an email to them expressing my disapproval of the policy and telling them they've lost a customer

In 2004 I bought my wife's engagement and wedding rings at Jareds. I also had my ring engraved there. I noticed the signs but CC'd anyway. I vowed to not shop there again because of it. This just confirms why I did what I did. I think I will tell them why I don't shop there anymore.
    Someone who can't be trusted to walk free in public with a firearm shouldn't be walking around free.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    I think it is one thing to question/mock their descision to post an ineffective "no firearm sign", quite another to "laugh at them" for being robbed. Let's not forget about the innocent people who went to work this morning to help pay their bills, and went home traumatized. OCers are not heartless, let's not look like we are.
    This is a very diverse group, unified only in that we are armed and support being armed responsibly, while swiftly correcting those in the government that infringe upon our rights, as well as some taking a proactive approach with educational efforts. Hopefully soon we'll expand it more to dealing directly with law makers.

So anyway, my point is, other than that, it's hard to put a definition on the group, and I certainly would suggest caution about trying to make broad definitions of the group. That MOC and OCDO posters are a group of free thinkers is and has been crucial to our success, and I believe it will continue to be moving forward and attracting other supporters.

In terms of being heartless, I can be pretty cold sometimes, but I generally don't consider myself heartless. Many who know me personally consider me abnormally generous and kind if you know me well enough to see past my attitude.

I will laugh all day at the owners of the store. I consider it hilarious. If I had the chance to talk to the employees who were victimized, I would not laugh at them, but instead suggest to them that I hope they learned a valuable lesson, and will from now on choose to put their families (if they have any) and other loved ones ahead of their own apathy, and begin to take responsibility for their own safety, whether or not they have to do so secretly to prevent being fired. I would also offer to teach them how to shoot.

Sympathy is not an emotion I have ever expressed towards people who allowed themselves to be victimized even though they were able to take precautions to prevent it.
    Last edited by Michigander; 09-22-2010 at 02:33 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

i purposely did not buy jewelry from that particular store because of their no firearm policy.

no firearms allowed = no money from me.
    Last edited by lapeer20m; 09-22-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

I see no mention of guns in the article. It states they used pepper spray.

Maybe they should post up a "no pepper spray" sign next to their no guns sign!!

Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    i purposely did not buy jewelry from that particular store because of their no firearm policy.

no firearms allowed = no money from me.
    Agreed. Bought my wife's wedding ring elsewhere. The ring she wanted was at Jared, I told her too bad, we'll look elsewhere.

In the end it was a win/win for both of us. It was cheaper elsewhere, and I ended up getting it at Diamond Jim's in Madison Heights. One of a kind, hand crafted by a jeweler there.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post

I would say "close to impossible". That's why I will never shop there, even if I am cc and choose to ignore the sign. The sign, imho, serves as a HUGE welcome mat for anyone that wants an easy target.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer Ė I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Maybe the employees could carry pepper spray in their back pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by rj3663 View Post
    Maybe the employees could carry pepper spray in their back pocket!

Or maybe they could just remove the signs like normal people and simply not infringe on my rights.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Much better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast