• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jared Galleria Of Jewelry - Robbed

malignity

i purposely did not buy jewelry from that particular store because of their no firearm policy.

no firearms allowed = no money from me.

Agreed. Bought my wife's wedding ring elsewhere. The ring she wanted was at Jared, I told her too bad, we'll look elsewhere.

In the end it was a win/win for both of us. It was cheaper elsewhere, and I ended up getting it at Diamond Jim's in Madison Heights. One of a kind, hand crafted by a jeweler there.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
My first reaction, quite honestly, was to think of Nelson Muntz.

You can either demonize violence completely, romantasize it, or take a sensible approach towards preparedness. Jared's chose not to permit preparedness at their stores. Hard to have sympathy for them at this point.

I would say "close to impossible". That's why I will never shop there, even if I am cc and choose to ignore the sign. The sign, imho, serves as a HUGE welcome mat for anyone that wants an easy target.

kryptonian

I see no mention of guns in the article. It states they used pepper spray.

Maybe they should post up a "no pepper spray" sign next to their no guns sign!!

i noticed that it didn't mention guns too. probably why they didn't get any money or jewelry. also doesn't mention ethnicity. stocking mask or not you can tell. jared in novi has armed guard. training probably didn't allow to shoot for pepper spray. the closer to detroit you get the more entry buzzers and thick glass you find. when the thieves find it too hard to rob they move outwards to pick easier targets. police agencies that border detroit know that if a chase ensues and crosses into detroit the DPD won't pick it up. the criminals know it too.
like moles - if you kill them the lawn problem is gone. if you chase them away they just go to your neighbor's lawn. this isn't advocating unnecessary deadly force but just pointing out the obvious.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
i noticed that it didn't mention guns too. probably why they didn't get any money or jewelry. also doesn't mention ethnicity. stocking mask or not you can tell. jared in novi has armed guard. training probably didn't allow to shoot for pepper spray. the closer to detroit you get the more entry buzzers and thick glass you find. when the thieves find it too hard to rob they move outwards to pick easier targets. police agencies that border detroit know that if a chase ensues and crosses into detroit the DPD won't pick it up. the criminals know it too.
like moles - if you kill them the lawn problem is gone. if you chase them away they just go to your neighbor's lawn. this isn't advocating unnecessary deadly force but just pointing out the obvious.

Wouldn't it be nice to just send them to Ohio, Indiana, or Wisconsin by allowing all forms of carry everywhere in Michigan? (sorry those of you from any of these states)

Bailenforcer

I feel for anyone who has been robbed, I been there and it is never pleasant. But the management telegraphed to any potential criminal that this store was a soft target and easy pickings. So management got exactly what their sign asked for. The sign really said come rob us no guns here!

Last edited:

eastmeyers

i noticed that it didn't mention guns too. probably why they didn't get any money or jewelry. also doesn't mention ethnicity. stocking mask or not you can tell. Jared in novi has armed guard. training probably didn't allow to shoot for pepper spray. the closer to Detroit you get the more entry buzzers and thick glass you find. when the thieves find it too hard to rob they move out wards to pick easier targets. police agencies that border Detroit know that if a chase ensues and crosses into Detroit the DPD won't pick it up. the criminals know it too.

From first hand knowledge. All Jared stores, at least in the Metro Detroit area employ at least one armed guard, that does not necessarily mean they are their during all open hours, or that they are in a uniform. Also from first hand knowledge, most cities that border Detroit, will chase into Detroit, they will inform Detroit dispatch, let them know, but they continue to chase, until it is too dangerous, or they catch the bad guy. Some of these departments have a "no stop" chase policy, which means they do not call of the chase unless they loose the person.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i was watching the first episode of Detroit 1-8-7 last night. one of the characters was a detroit cop who lives in ferndale. he said "fight them in Detroit so we don't have to fight them in Ferndale". it was a little funny in context with this thread.

Michigander

i was watching the first episode of Detroit 1-8-7 last night. one of the characters was a detroit cop who lives in ferndale. he said "fight them in Detroit so we don't have to fight them in Ferndale". it was a little funny in context with this thread.

I was on my way somewhere today, and stopped in a rather rough area, specifically Royal Oak twp to get some snacks at Kroger. While there I noticed a bill board for that show. It literally nauseated me to think that here is an area plagued with crime, often violent crime, and ABC, a channel I heavily associate with anti gun rhetoric, at least historically if not always, has an ad for this crap in a particularly dangerous area. On top of that, it had an absurd caption, I think it was "my town, my rules" seemingly to me trying to get people off on the us against them way so many Michigan police think and act. I'm sickened just thinking about it.

budlight

I see no mention of guns in the article. It states they used pepper spray.

Maybe they should post up a "no pepper spray" sign next to their no guns sign!!

One of the news casts said a gun and pepper spray was used.

However, we all know what the media reports is not 100% accurate.

Bailenforcer

LOL the media almost never gets it right. You would be shocked at how often they get it wrong, or half right half wrong. Frankly in my opinion and experiences they are not even close to 50% right. Even when they get a fact right they screw up the rest of the story with falsehoods.

One of the news casts said a gun and pepper spray was used.

However, we all know what the media reports is not 100% accurate.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Response from Jared to my note telling them they've lost a customer.

Dear smellslikemichigan,

I would like to respond to your e-mail concerning the Firearms/Weapons policy posted at our Jared the Galleria of Jewelry location.

Even though many states have laws permitting residents to carry concealed weapons and firearms, private employers have the right to ban weapons and prohibit persons with weapons from entering the premises. For the safety and security of our customers and store employees Jared has made the decision to ban weapons and anyone possessing them from entering the store.

Sincerely,

Amanda L
Customer Care

Last edited: