• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jared Galleria Of Jewelry - Robbed

sprinklerguy28

Jared Galleria Of Jewelry in Utica was just robbed at gun point. The suspects also used Mace on several people. This particular business was posted no firearms allowed. I feel sorry for the workers and patrons as no individual should have to experience this. However, when will people realize that criminals don't care. This incident only proves that point.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/25115506/detail.html

Last edited:

jeremy05

how did the robbers get the gun in the store? I mean the store had the no guns allowed sign up right? hmmm. Only way in with a gun I see are...

1. The sign was backwards, although the robber would not be able to leave the store WITH his gun upon seeing the sign as he trys to leave after the robbery.

2. The sign was not up that day.

3. The robber was a warlock

scot623

These companies fail to realize a good portion of criminals may be illiterate making their signs as understandable as quantum physics. It's the only logical reason someone would ignore such an important sign, no?

Last edited:

budlight

I’m in total shock this place was robbed as it is posted no firearms. I can’t believe someone would disregard a no weapons sign. Now on a side note, will management re-think their logic on this??????

Michigander

My first reaction, quite honestly, was to think of Nelson Muntz.

You can either demonize violence completely, romantasize it, or take a sensible approach towards preparedness. Jared's chose not to permit preparedness at their stores. Hard to have sympathy for them at this point.

Attachments

• simpsons_nelson_haha.jpg
    simpsons_nelson_haha.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 85

scot623

My first reaction, quite honestly, was to think of Nelson Muntz.

You can either demonize violence completely, romantasize it, or take a sensible approach towards preparedness. Jared's chose not to permit preparedness at their stores. Hard to have sympathy for them at this point.

I think it is one thing to question/mock their descision to post an ineffective "no firearm sign", quite another to "laugh at them" for being robbed. Let's not forget about the innocent people who went to work this morning to help pay their bills, and went home traumatized. OCers are not heartless, let's not look like we are.

B

Bikenut

Criminals... 1

Myopic business... 0

Guess who's winning?

Warning... my personal opinions follow:

Quite frankly I consider a business or even an individual who restricts the right of citizens to legally carry a gun as "aiding and abetting" the criminal illegally carrying a gun by actively providing an atmosphere conducive to criminal behavior... ie.. making it easy to commit a crime.

I also consider those businesses and individuals who know criminals do not obey the law and carry guns illegally for the purpose of committing crimes but stop lawful citizens from carrying a gun and having the lawful ability to defend themselves from the criminals .. to be guilty of reckless endangerment.

budlight

Quite frankly I consider a business or even an individual who restricts the right of citizens to legally carry a gun as "aiding and abetting" the criminal illegally carrying a gun by actively providing an atmosphere conducive to criminal behavior... ie.. making it easy to commit a crime.

I also consider those businesses and individuals who know criminals do not obey the law and carry guns illegally for the purpose of committing crimes but stop lawful citizens from carrying a gun and having the lawful ability to defend themselves from the criminals .. to be guilty of reckless endangerment.

I couldn't have said it any better!

Last edited:

MarineSgt

In 2004 I bought my wife's engagement and wedding rings at Jareds. I also had my ring engraved there. I noticed the signs but CC'd anyway. I vowed to not shop there again because of it. This just confirms why I did what I did. I think I will tell them why I don't shop there anymore.

Michigander

I think it is one thing to question/mock their descision to post an ineffective "no firearm sign", quite another to "laugh at them" for being robbed. Let's not forget about the innocent people who went to work this morning to help pay their bills, and went home traumatized. OCers are not heartless, let's not look like we are.

This is a very diverse group, unified only in that we are armed and support being armed responsibly, while swiftly correcting those in the government that infringe upon our rights, as well as some taking a proactive approach with educational efforts. Hopefully soon we'll expand it more to dealing directly with law makers.

So anyway, my point is, other than that, it's hard to put a definition on the group, and I certainly would suggest caution about trying to make broad definitions of the group. That MOC and OCDO posters are a group of free thinkers is and has been crucial to our success, and I believe it will continue to be moving forward and attracting other supporters.

In terms of being heartless, I can be pretty cold sometimes, but I generally don't consider myself heartless. Many who know me personally consider me abnormally generous and kind if you know me well enough to see past my attitude.

I will laugh all day at the owners of the store. I consider it hilarious. If I had the chance to talk to the employees who were victimized, I would not laugh at them, but instead suggest to them that I hope they learned a valuable lesson, and will from now on choose to put their families (if they have any) and other loved ones ahead of their own apathy, and begin to take responsibility for their own safety, whether or not they have to do so secretly to prevent being fired. I would also offer to teach them how to shoot.

Sympathy is not an emotion I have ever expressed towards people who allowed themselves to be victimized even though they were able to take precautions to prevent it.

Last edited:

flb_78

I see no mention of guns in the article. It states they used pepper spray.

Maybe they should post up a "no pepper spray" sign next to their no guns sign!!