• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Danger - Potential Destructive Device Alert

sultan62

It's a shame the video taker flinched so badly at the explosion, I couldn't get a good look.

That being said, I have no problem experimenting with household chemicals. However, leaving them for others to discover is dangerous and malicious, and they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Jack House

It's a shame the video taker flinched so badly at the explosion, I couldn't get a good look.

That being said, I have no problem experimenting with household chemicals. However, leaving them for others to discover is dangerous and malicious, and they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
It looks just like a dry ice 'bomb'.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
Actually its anything that contains hydrochloric acid. The hydrochloric acid reacts violently with the aluminum foil after it burns through the aluminums corrosion layer. It is not a sit and wait to be disturbed 'bomb' as once they are mixed they reaction doesn't stop until the aluminum is consumed. Just like dry ice in a soda bottle it builds pressure until the bottle lets go and does about the same amount of negligible damage since it is only a rapid pressure release. The nasty side comes from the gas produced if you inhale it.
I am very familiar with this reaction because I use 50/50 diluted hydrochloric acid and water to remove aluminum deposits from carbide router bits (The Works does it in a pinch but takes much longer). I would never place it in an enclosed container; only an open tray outside as the gas released is quite nasty. It's a good cheap way of salvaging $60 to $80 bits after they load up.