Thread: First OC in stores

First OC in stores

Today I grew a pair and decided to open carry just cause in stores today as I did my shopping. First I went to Walmart off main st near bellevue or in bellevue. Not a single problem, although everyone looked they immediatly looked away probably figuring I was an LEO. 2nd I went to Festival foods off west mason (green bay) same thing, not a single problem. I thought I'd be nervous and actually had 2nd thoughts halfway to my first destination but after clicking into my holster and taking my first steps, I felt very calm, calmer than ever before. I felt extremely safe and knowing my rights was prepared for an encounter with LEOs but no such luck.

I carry a Taurus 1911 ALR 45acp. fairly big gun that everyone seemed to notice but nobody took a 2nd look. I do dress in khakis and a polo with dress shoes so I probably look like any other detective out there, and think that is the only reason nobody even thinks twice, because they think i'm a police officer, I think if I had a shirt on stating I wasn't an LEO people would really have wondered what was up. I think it's normal to see people carrying (leos) but i think the people that carry without the appearance of an LEO, wearing less than dressy clothes are the ones that get attention because people think wow, he can't be a cop, whats he doing with that gun. I also thought about the outcome if I were a black man wearing jeans and a tshirt, probably would've been much different.

Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinPI View Post
    Today I grew a pair and decided to open carry just cause in stores today as I did my shopping. First I went to Walmart off main st near bellevue or in bellevue. Not a single problem, although everyone looked they immediatly looked away probably figuring I was an LEO. 2nd I went to Festival foods off west mason (green bay) same thing, not a single problem. I thought I'd be nervous and actually had 2nd thoughts halfway to my first destination but after clicking into my holster and taking my first steps, I felt very calm, calmer than ever before. I felt extremely safe and knowing my rights was prepared for an encounter with LEOs but no such luck.

I carry a Taurus 1911 ALR 45acp. fairly big gun that everyone seemed to notice but nobody took a 2nd look. I do dress in khakis and a polo with dress shoes so I probably look like any other detective out there, and think that is the only reason nobody even thinks twice, because they think i'm a police officer, I think if I had a shirt on stating I wasn't an LEO people would really have wondered what was up. I think it's normal to see people carrying (leos) but i think the people that carry without the appearance of an LEO, wearing less than dressy clothes are the ones that get attention because people think wow, he can't be a cop, whats he doing with that gun. I also thought about the outcome if I were a black man wearing jeans and a tshirt, probably would've been much different.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Open Carry keep on Open carrying
    "There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.

Banned
    I also thought about the outcome if I were a black man wearing jeans and a tshirt, probably would've been much different.
    Yah, looking like cops is prolly why there are not more MWAG calls to dispatch. Its all good though as it gets the public used to the idea of people in plain clothes with guns.

Good luck and keep on carrying...

Well done. It won't take long and you'll realize that most people either don't notice or don't care about your sidearm. Once we realize that we are doing nothing wrong then carrying a sidearm is no different then carrying a cell phone, it becomes part of our daily routine when going out in public. Carry on and carry proud.

I was grocery shopping last night and ran into I_K, he asked "you belong to OCDO"? and we had a good conversation.
    So, as for me, I wear what I wana wear, dirty clothes (work), jeans black t-shirt what ever.
    Yeah, I get a TON of looks, course I've got a shaved head, 5'9" around 240lbs, when I'm in a store, I'm on a mission, get what I need to get and get goin'
    Except for Menards, Fleet Farm, Home Depot, I take a good look around!
    Good to hear you got a "pair"

Awesome ! I carry most places when shopping / walking the dog, etc.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

any guys in GB interested in doing a quick meet up at starbucks or a restaurant, I'm hungry, and I really feel like OCing. I dont do much anymore, Im at school all day long at NWTC, and there, obviously, I can't. Let me know.

how about culvers tonight?

I can't tonight, but it's an awesome idea ! We Green Bay area peoples..should do a Monthly OC Dinner somewhere ( Culvers or Five Guys Burgers & Fries ? ) Maybe the first Weds of each month @ 7:00 pm - Culvers West Mason street / Five Guys on Oneida st ?
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 09-23-2010 at 08:17 PM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    I can't tonight, but it's an awesome idea ! We Green Bay area peoples..should do a Monthly OC Dinner somewhere ( Culvers or Five Guys Burgers & Fries ? ) Maybe the first Weds of each month @ 7:00 pm - Culvers West Mason street / Five Guys on Oneida st ?
    very possible, I know it's getting cold but it would be cool to meet up at bayshore park, cookout, or fishing or whatever, I really like gettin out to that area.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    very possible, I know it's getting cold but it would be cool to meet up at bayshore park, cookout, or fishing or whatever, I really like gettin out to that area.
    Bay Shore Park is a County Park. Brown County prohibits OC at Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    Bay Shore Park is a County Park. Brown County prohibits OC at Parks.
    Figured there would be something

bhancock
    Well done. I have a feeling it is not so much about the clothes, of course people do tend to feel like well dressed people have it together. Personally I wear whatever I happen to have on, which ranges from casual dress to grease covered mechanics clothing, and the looks are always the same, notice and look away except some kids who generally are intrigued by a firearm. I got way more looks at the leg brace I have been wearing after knee surgery than I ever got from my firearm.

Anyway keep it up, Carry On.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    DO IT! Pick a day (1st Wednesday) or whatever. Pick a place, and they regularly go there. Sometimes you will be by yourself, sometimes there might three, other times a dozen, but KEEP DOING IT!