• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC in stores

WisconsinPI

Today I grew a pair and decided to open carry just cause in stores today as I did my shopping. First I went to Walmart off main st near bellevue or in bellevue. Not a single problem, although everyone looked they immediatly looked away probably figuring I was an LEO. 2nd I went to Festival foods off west mason (green bay) same thing, not a single problem. I thought I'd be nervous and actually had 2nd thoughts halfway to my first destination but after clicking into my holster and taking my first steps, I felt very calm, calmer than ever before. I felt extremely safe and knowing my rights was prepared for an encounter with LEOs but no such luck.

I carry a Taurus 1911 ALR 45acp. fairly big gun that everyone seemed to notice but nobody took a 2nd look. I do dress in khakis and a polo with dress shoes so I probably look like any other detective out there, and think that is the only reason nobody even thinks twice, because they think i'm a police officer, I think if I had a shirt on stating I wasn't an LEO people would really have wondered what was up. I think it's normal to see people carrying (leos) but i think the people that carry without the appearance of an LEO, wearing less than dressy clothes are the ones that get attention because people think wow, he can't be a cop, whats he doing with that gun. I also thought about the outcome if I were a black man wearing jeans and a tshirt, probably would've been much different.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Congratulations

Today I grew a pair and decided to open carry just cause in stores today as I did my shopping. First I went to Walmart off main st near bellevue or in bellevue. Not a single problem, although everyone looked they immediatly looked away probably figuring I was an LEO. 2nd I went to Festival foods off west mason (green bay) same thing, not a single problem. I thought I'd be nervous and actually had 2nd thoughts halfway to my first destination but after clicking into my holster and taking my first steps, I felt very calm, calmer than ever before. I felt extremely safe and knowing my rights was prepared for an encounter with LEOs but no such luck.

I carry a Taurus 1911 ALR 45acp. fairly big gun that everyone seemed to notice but nobody took a 2nd look. I do dress in khakis and a polo with dress shoes so I probably look like any other detective out there, and think that is the only reason nobody even thinks twice, because they think i'm a police officer, I think if I had a shirt on stating I wasn't an LEO people would really have wondered what was up. I think it's normal to see people carrying (leos) but i think the people that carry without the appearance of an LEO, wearing less than dressy clothes are the ones that get attention because people think wow, he can't be a cop, whats he doing with that gun. I also thought about the outcome if I were a black man wearing jeans and a tshirt, probably would've been much different.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Open Carry keep on Open carrying :)

Spartacus

Banned
I also thought about the outcome if I were a black man wearing jeans and a tshirt, probably would've been much different.

Yah, looking like cops is prolly why there are not more MWAG calls to dispatch. Its all good though as it gets the public used to the idea of people in plain clothes with guns.

Good luck and keep on carrying...

johnny amish

Well done. It won't take long and you'll realize that most people either don't notice or don't care about your sidearm. Once we realize that we are doing nothing wrong then carrying a sidearm is no different then carrying a cell phone, it becomes part of our daily routine when going out in public. Carry on and carry proud.

qball54208

I was grocery shopping last night and ran into I_K, he asked "you belong to OCDO"? and we had a good conversation.
So, as for me, I wear what I wana wear, dirty clothes (work), jeans black t-shirt what ever.
Yeah, I get a TON of looks, course I've got a shaved head, 5'9" around 240lbs, when I'm in a store, I'm on a mission, get what I need to get and get goin'
Except for Menards, Fleet Farm, Home Depot, I take a good look around!
Good to hear you got a "pair"

any guys in GB interested in doing a quick meet up at starbucks or a restaurant, I'm hungry, and I really feel like OCing. I dont do much anymore, Im at school all day long at NWTC, and there, obviously, I can't. Let me know.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I can't tonight, but it's an awesome idea ! We Green Bay area peoples..should do a Monthly OC Dinner somewhere ( Culvers or Five Guys Burgers & Fries ? ) Maybe the first Weds of each month @ 7:00 pm - Culvers West Mason street / Five Guys on Oneida st ?

Last edited:

WisconsinPI

I can't tonight, but it's an awesome idea ! We Green Bay area peoples..should do a Monthly OC Dinner somewhere ( Culvers or Five Guys Burgers & Fries ? ) Maybe the first Weds of each month @ 7:00 pm - Culvers West Mason street / Five Guys on Oneida st ?

very possible, I know it's getting cold but it would be cool to meet up at bayshore park, cookout, or fishing or whatever, I really like gettin out to that area.

B

bhancock

Well done. I have a feeling it is not so much about the clothes, of course people do tend to feel like well dressed people have it together. Personally I wear whatever I happen to have on, which ranges from casual dress to grease covered mechanics clothing, and the looks are always the same, notice and look away except some kids who generally are intrigued by a firearm. I got way more looks at the leg brace I have been wearing after knee surgery than I ever got from my firearm.

Anyway keep it up, Carry On.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member

DO IT! Pick a day (1st Wednesday) or whatever. Pick a place, and they regularly go there. Sometimes you will be by yourself, sometimes there might three, other times a dozen, but KEEP DOING IT!