• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at the Apple Butter Festivall in Berkeley Springs?

Dreamer

I'm thinking of making a family day-trip to Berkeley Springs the weekend of Oct 9 to go to the Apple Butter Festival in Berkeley Springs WV. I lived in Martinsburg for about 5 years, and from what I remember, OC or CC shouldn't be a problem since this event is on the public streets and parks in Berkeley Springs, but I wondered if anyone knows if they have any weird laws regarding carry at such events?

BTW, I have CC permits for both NC and PA...

Thanks in advance...

Dreamer

I figured it was, but Berkeley Springs is a LOT different from the rest of the panhandle, with all the hippies and arsty-craftsy types setting up shop there... ;)

OC it will be, then!

Now the only decision will be whether I want to carry the Glock or the Para Ordnance...

Last edited:

Dreamer

I will be sure to post pics, if I can convince my sweety (or one of the locals) to operate my camera...

Stay tuned!

Plus, if there are any other OCers in the Eastern Panhandle, I'd love to meet you. Come out to Berkeley Springs on Saturday the 9th, for the Apple Butter Festival. I'll be easy to spot--I'll be wearing an Indiana Jones type fedora, and a Para Ordnance S-14.45 in a tan Serpa, and I'll be near a VERY cute little baby in a stroller, playing "proud grandpa"... ;)

Dreamer

We went to Berkeley Springs to day for the Apple Butter Festival, and had a great time. My sweety and I took out 11 month old granddaughter along, and the weather was perfect. I OC'd my Para the entire time we were in WV, and only got one comment.

My sweetie was in a store that sold bath products and oils and perfumes and the like, and I went in to get her, and the woman behind the counter said "wow, you are seriously packing today! Why are you carrying a gun?"

My answer: "Because it is my duty and right as a citizen..."

We then had a brief conversation about OC. She asked about permits, and we discussed that too, but I told her she didn't need a permit to OC, or to carry in her own shop. She said she already owned a pistol, but kept it at home, because she didn't want to frighten off her female customers. I told her that a CC permit might be a good option for her, since she could carry discretely, but that OCing in her own shop would give her the opportunity to discuss the right of self defense with her female customers, and help raise awareness about their rights.

She thanked me, and handed my our receipt, and then we left. She was very positive, and didn't seem at all put off.

I didn't get any hassle, funny looks, or moonbat comments all day. Walked by several local LEOs and Sheriff's Deputies, and didn't even get a double-take.

OC in WV--legal, acceptable, and safe...

The only bad thing about the say was going back to MD, and so I had to unload, disarm, and secure everything in the back of y vehicle before "crossing the moat" back into MD...

It's amazing how much difference a few miles make...

But I think I may have my sweetie just about convinced to move to WV when I finish Grad School, as opposed to remaining in MD. She's falling in love with the Eastern Panhandle...

diensthunds

I too have to travel into MD on a semi regular schedule. I have a Wv CCW permit and hate that MD won't enter into reciprocity with Wv.
Hence http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6331 House Resolution 822 federal reciprocity bill. Yup it would be the same as having all sates recognize your CCW just as they do your drivers license. Read the link, make an informed decision of your own, and if you agree with it, call, write, email, stop by and say howdy to your political reps. and encourage them to vote for the bill.

Dreamer

Although the idea of Federal Reciprocity is good in theory, there are a few things that could allow states like MD to keep permitted people from carrying.

This bill has a provision in it that says states that DO NOT issue permits DO NOT have to honor anyone else's permits. So, for instance, MD could just repeal it's "may issue" system altogether, and that would prevent ANYONE from legally carrying there. And knowing MD, they would put a new law in effect that allowed ANYONE in the judiciary, and all elected officials to CC without a permit, while denying the right or privilege to citizens to carry...

So a National Reciprocity law might look good on the surface, but the more you think about it, and what some of these sociopathic, unconstitutional "states" are willing to do to prevent lawful carry in their states, the more it looks like it's just a train wreck waiting to happen...

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Although the idea of Federal Reciprocity is good in theory, there are a few things that could allow states like MD to keep permitted people from carrying.

This bill has a provision in it that says states that DO NOT issue permits DO NOT have to honor anyone else's permits. So, for instance, MD could just repeal it's "may issue" system altogether, and that would prevent ANYONE from legally carrying there. And knowing MD, they would put a new law in effect that allowed ANYONE in the judiciary, and all elected officials to CC without a permit, while denying the right or privilege to citizens to carry...

So a National Reciprocity law might look good on the surface, but the more you think about it, and what some of these sociopathic, unconstitutional "states" are willing to do to prevent lawful carry in their states, the more it looks like it's just a train wreck waiting to happen...
But how will Babs & Brian & the other anti-gun politicians (not to mention the WWWs) in the Not-So-Free State be able to protect themselves? :rolleyes:

Dreamer

But how will Babs & Brian & the other anti-gun politicians (not to mention the WWWs) in the Not-So-Free State be able to protect themselves? :rolleyes:

They would make special provisions in the law to give them the "right" to carry, like they already have for LEOs and Judges. It's a simple legislative "workaround"... Different laws for different "classes"--it's the MD way...

fire1664man

I know this is a year old topic but just FYI , as someone who has a working relationship with the officers in the Morgan County area , most if not all are very versed in the Open Carry laws and will not give a hassle.