• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does Your Employer Have A No Weapons Policy?

Jack House

Mine does and as far as I know it's only for employees. The store isn't posted nor is the one in Kansas. We don't have OC in Texas with exception to long guns and I never seen anyone OC a long gun in person, let alone in one of the stores. So I don't really know how they would react. It could be down to the manager, the only firearms policy listed in the employee handbook is the one that pertains to employees. *shrugs*

I'd ignore it, however they would find it and getting a new job after getting fired for having a gun at work would be impossible. :uhoh::lol::uhoh:

So, what about your job? Does your company prohibit employees from carrying while on the clock? If so and if you work with the public, is your place of business posted for customers too or is it a prohibition on employee carry only?

45acpForMe

I know for a fact that the company I work for bans weapons even to the point of company cars. They consider the company cars, company property and extend their weapons ban to all company property. :-(

I think that most major corporations bad weapons by employees if for no other reason to appease the lawyers and avoid any lawsuits. I also think a large subset of those ban weapons on premises (non-employees) but have no real data to back my "opinion". As a consultant, every customer I have been to has some restriction (usually a total ban).

Virginia is a pretty good state for OC but multi-state/nation corporations probably sink down to the lowest common denominator as far as policies. It is actually refreshing when you hear of places like Starbucks and Walmart that follow state law "as" their policy rather than defining something anti. Again any pro-2A-policies tend to only apply to customers not employees.

Last edited:

confedneck

My boss is pretty pro-gun, and knows I have at least ONE loaded .45 all the time. Something about a 75k truck with over 130k in inventory I guess. Although the rule is, if the truck catches fire, grab the cash, the computer and the gun, and shoot anyone with a fire extinguisher lol

daddy4count

The employee handbook where I work states: "Firearms are restricted from company property, except where allowed by law."

I open carry to and from work, while I am here it stays locked in my desk. More for my comfort than anything, but I'm sure my boss would have a fit if any customers complained.

MatieA

I am self-employed, but I do carry to all of my clients homes and places of business, and have had no complaints. A few have asked questions but did not seem to be concerned with the firearm.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Army

I'm in the Army, and we're only allowed to carry in hostile lands. Except MP's who by the way did a great job responding to the shooting at Fort Bliss, TX.

Wastelander

When I was hired there was a rule in our employee handbook stating that we cannot have "weapons of any kind" on company property. I checked it again when I was looking into getting my concealed carry permit (we don't need one here, but I like the reciprocity) and it doesn't seem to be there anymore. I checked with HR and they said we can't, still, though :(

Daylen

When I was hired there was a rule in our employee handbook stating that we cannot have "weapons of any kind" on company property. I checked it again when I was looking into getting my concealed carry permit (we don't need one here, but I like the reciprocity) and it doesn't seem to be there anymore. I checked with HR and they said we can't, still, though :(

perhaps you should ask the manager or owner of the company. I've never come across an HR dept that would honestly AND knowledgeably answer that question.

Wastelander

perhaps you should ask the manager or owner of the company. I've never come across an HR dept that would honestly AND knowledgeably answer that question.

My company is a national one, so good luck getting in touch with the owner (CEO) for anything other than fixing anything technological that he broke (I'm in IT). I have to go with what HR says unless my Legal department says different, and my legal department is based out of California, so you can guess what they will say

Last edited:

sFe

The dealership I work at now is owned by Griffin which is a small company and there's nothing in the handbook about weapons. When I worked for a Hendrick dealership they had a no weapons policy.

rodbender

I'm a contractor for one company only. They all know I carry and don't care. When I worked for a sister company directly there was no gun policy whatsoever, so I would imagine it's the same. They don't want employees carrying while on duty, but they don't care if they leave it in the vehicle. I carry everywhere while on the premises.

The owner recently hired a new president and when he found out, he brought it up to the owner and was told not to be concerned about it, as long as the regular employees don't carry while working.

I've had to show it twice (2 seperate occasions) when a couple of bozos (couldn't speak English, or didn't want to) from the Tejano bar across the street wandered in while I was unloading after midnight and didn't want to leave. The business end of a .45 caliber 1911 convinced them to change their minds pretty quick. I open carry when I unload after hours. Hey, I'm in control of the property.

hogeaterf6

I work at a hospital and policy was no firearms on the propery. I/we still did in our vehicles. I would be happy to get fired if they did not want me to bring it again. July 1st Ind Law states we may now have a firearm in a locked vehicle at work. Yea Gov Daniels! When I ride the MC I open carry. Park next to the building and put it in the saddle bag. They still have a no firearm policy at the door for the public.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
my employer loves guns, all of them. He lets me carry anytime I want to, I walk around the office with my AR-15 ( Ruger-SR-556 ) ALL the time. ..........................ok, I am self employed. lol

Jack House

my employer loves guns, all of them. He lets me carry anytime I want to, I walk around the office with my AR-15 ( Ruger-SR-556 ) ALL the time. ..........................ok, I am self employed. lol
LMFAO

I'm pretty sure my boss wouldn't mind me leaving my gun in the car in the parking lot, though I am also pretty sure that policy forbids it. I'm also fairly sure he wouldn't mind if we were all doing some company thing together. But he doesn't have much of a choice at work and they do pocket checks so if I carried, I'd get caught.

JJ

I work for a major retailer in California.

Employees are not allowed to have any type of weapons. Not even a pocket knife.

No restrictions posted for customers.

My District Manager was ok with me OCing when not on the clock.

25sierraman

I'm still on active duty. Yes they have an anti gun policy...... no really they do. I wish I at least got to see my assigned weapon a bit more often. There's some odd people on this post (Belvoir) when compared to other larger posts that normally house a BCT or a major combat unit. Not like this super headquarters head shed/ good idea bus they have here. I really wish they would let me carry. I get to carry all the time when im in the middle east. Why not here too?

since9

Campaign Veteran
I think that most major corporations bad weapons by employees if for no other reason to appease the lawyers and avoid any lawsuits.

You got it.

...multi-state/nation corporations probably sink down to the lowest common denominator as far as policies.

You got it again!

I am self-employed, but I do carry to all of my clients homes and places of business, and have had no complaints. A few have asked questions but did not seem to be concerned with the firearm.

Sounds like the OC home nurse I've seen in various pictures! Her patients don't mind either. :)

I'm in the Army, and we're only allowed to carry in hostile lands.

Isn't that a real nasty slap in the face? I think so. As a vet I was called upon to travel around the world, risking my life in all sorts of situations. I was often armed, but not always. Hell, I was entrusted with nuclear weapons delivery (to the target, not some weapons depot), and yet I cannot be entrusted with a self-defense firearm on a military installation? What more can they do - piss on my grave in Arlington after I die?

Except MP's who by the way did a great job responding to the shooting at Fort Bliss, TX.

Yes they did! I have the utmost respect for MPs (in the AF it's LE). While riding to work, one of them took out a deranged perp at the Fairchild AFB hospital in 1994.

I have to go with what HR says unless my Legal department says different, and my legal department is based out of California, so you can guess what they will say

:banghead: No doubt. Remind me never to lend my many talents to any company based in California.

I work at a hospital and policy was no firearms on the propery. I/we still did in our vehicles. I would be happy to get fired if they did not want me to bring it again. July 1st Ind Law states we may now have a firearm in a locked vehicle at work. Yea Gov Daniels!

Cool! We need more laws like this!

They still have a no firearm policy at the door for the public.

I encountered the same when I went to the hospital ER on Sunday for a scratched cornea, though anticipating a no-firearms policy I wasn't carrying. Turns out they have a full bag search and walk-through metal detector. They did ask if I was carry any firearms, and I said, "Almost always. But not today." I then asked what their policy was on OC vs CC, and the security guard pointed to several lockable, wall-mounted gun-boxes and said, "We'd simply ask you to leave it in your vehicle, or in here, and we'd give you the key." I said, "Ok! If you're willing to accept full security throughout the hospital..." but then I had a thought and asked him, "Will you be there to protect me on the inside if some nut grabs a scalpel or simply starts beating myself and others with his fists?" He gave me a thoughtful look, so I added, "Hey - if you're going to disarm people at the door, you have follow through with the same or better measure of self-protection throughout the grounds. Can you do that? Or do you just disarm people at the door?"

His response, "I hear what you're saying, but I'm just security. I can't comment on company policy."

Sounds to me like this situation is ripe for a lawsuit. If Obamacare requires me to go to a particular hospital, but I am refused medical treatment until I forfeit my 2nd Amendment rights... :eek:

Same here! And I work from home, as well. So yes, my "employer" is firearms friendly. :banana:

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I'm still on active duty. Yes they have an anti gun policy...... no really they do. I wish I at least got to see my assigned weapon a bit more often. There's some odd people on this post (Belvoir) when compared to other larger posts that normally house a BCT or a major combat unit. Not like this super headquarters head shed/ good idea bus they have here. I really wish they would let me carry. I get to carry all the time when im in the middle east. Why not here too?

Military policy on personal weapons is asinine. I can understand to some extent the dangers involved when you have 18-21 year old "men" housed in barracks together, then adding beer and a 10-1 female ratio. If all of them had a 9mm under their beds you can bet there would be shootings more often. However there would be no mass shootings for certain. It seems to me NCO's should all be armed, at all times, and those living off post should be able to carry if they have a CHL.

I can't understand why it's a problem for veterans especially. If you've proved that you can get stuck in a place as hospitable as SW Asia, for an entire year, with all the stress and work hours plus carry a fully automatic weapon and not shoot some idiot butter bar who deserves it, I think you've proved you can carry a handgun. I would even understand if they had a seperate military license that required a psyche eval. The blanket ban might keep the ASVAB waivers and thugs (who never should have cleared MEPS in the first place) from shooting each other in the barracks, but it leaves all the personel vulnerable to attacks both on and especially off post.

cscitney87

So get this.. Every other employee is required to carry a leather holster and a very fancy box cutter blade. BUT there is a no weapons policy. .... I mean.. How the heck? So some pinhead wants to corner me with a box cutter one day what do you want me to do? Lucky for me, in my State of Colorado, policy and signs mean **** to the law. A CHP is very much valid and a concealed handgun is perfectly lawful.

4angrybadgers

Yep, throughout all US and India workplaces and at any company-sponsored event. (The only exception is knives with blades 3" or shorter.) At the end of the no-weapons policy is this interesting phrase: "...and any other dangerous or deadly substance or object that could be used to harass, intimidate, or injure another person." Yeeaaaahh... every single person in this office has at least one of such substances/objects on their person (who doesn't carry keys?). Hell, the company gives us such items - access card lanyards, and SCISSORS!!!!! :banghead:

If I ever get around to getting my MS concealed carry permit and I find a rig that's very print-proof, I'll probably just say "screw the policy" and carry anyways. Concealed is concealed, as they say.