• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Way to go Culver's!

anmut

Looks like I get to continue to eat at one of my favorite restaurants!

http://www.channel3000.com/money/25106816/detail.html

ADISON, Wis. -- The debate over openly carrying handguns could affect businesses, after two men wearing holstered firearms refused to show police identification at a Culver's restaurant on Madison's East Side Saturday night and were cited for obstruction.

Culver's Corp. was considering the need for a policy addressing the issue after a concerned customer called police. An executive at Culver's Corp. said Tuesday afternoon the restaurant will not create a new policy over the incident.

Some said they feel it's an issue local businesses shouldn't have to consider in the first place.

In 15 years, Bob Jonuzi said he has never seen a gun in his restaurant that wasn't accompanied by a badge.

"We never had to worry about that kind of thing here. Again, I was kind of surprised to hear what I heard today," said Jonuzi, owner of the Coppertop Restaurant on Madison's West Side.

He said he wouldn't expect to see a table of men carrying weapons and neither would his customers.

"We have a different kind of establishment. Everybody knows everybody. It's a family oriented thing we have," said Jonuzi.

A customer at a Culver's restaurant on Madison's East Side was concerned enough to call police when she saw that same situation.

"I personally don't think the issue is going away. I think there's a public policy debate that's coming, but I certainly would like to see that public policy debate happen up at the state Capitol instead of happening in restaurants across Wisconsin," said Pete Hanson, director of government relations for the Wisconsin Restaurant Association.

Hanson said that just as it is legal for someone to openly carry a handgun in Wisconsin, it's also legal for a business to refuse service to a customer carrying a weapon.

However, Hanson said that could come with consequences.

"There could be a negative repercussion either way. It's a highly contentious issue and they certainly could alienate people on each side if they create a policy," said Hanson.

Jonuzi said he doesn't have a stance on the issue, but he said he questions the need for a customer to be armed in his restaurant.

"Guns could be in many other places. But in a restaurant? I don't know. What's the use for it?" said Jonuzi.

Jonuzi said he's not sure how guns in his restaurant would affect business. He said he feels it's subjective and the reaction depends on the customer.

Part of the issue appears to be that people aren't used to seeing others carry guns, even legally, WISC-TV reported.

Some businesses said guns can scare some people, especially if they're not aware of open carry laws.