• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Intro to IDPA class in Springfield/Ozark area

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I have made arrangements to hold an Introduction to IDPA class at SOF-USA's indoor range in Ozark, Mo., just outside Springfield. This class will be geared toward introducing shooters to IDPA and some of the need-to-know items prior to a match so that the shooter can better focus on performance rather than learning the rules on the fly.

This class will be offered on a Sunday afternoon. Cost is being finalized (it's a not-for-profit class, my time is donated since I get to shoot as well) and the 1st class date is being determined. I expect the class to be approximately 1 hour broken up between classroom and range time. If the class becomes large the classroom will not be affected, however the range may be affected and broken up time-wise as a result.

I will be paying for a range reservation in advance, thus I will need a student roster and class pre-payment prior to the date of the class. You may PM me for my direct email to sign up once the start date is announced. Late additions may be made on a case by case basis and will need the approval of the range to keep student to instructor ratios at a level to allow more personal attention.

Note: This IS NOT a CCW class in any fashion, it is also not a first time shooter class. However, I can refer students to both of those at the same location and a few others if needed.

What students receive:
IDPA practice targets
IDPA rule book (possibly on CD, waiting to hear back on batch costs for paper copies)
IDPA for Dummies (trust me, it's good to have for newbies and it can be passed on to other newbies)
1 hour divided into classroom and range time (you ARE NOT paying for my time, that's being donated!)
IDPA membership opportunity (it's not forced on you, it's just being made available)

What will be covered:
Commands
Safety
Point zones
Scoring
Vicker's timing
Shot timer use
Equipment basics
Firearm reloading (yes, this sounds silly, but it's there to minimize wear and tear on YOUR gear)
Shoot, no-shoot, cover
Misc. items from the rule book
Q&A

For safety reasons, this course is not being offered to those individuals who are brand new to shooting....ie those with no firearms experience/training, particularly experience is needed with pistols (semi or revolver). Brand new shooters will be referred to a First Steps course or a CCW course, with emphasis on a First Steps class, prior to attending on an as needed basis.

ABSOLUTELY NO live ammunition and NO personal firearms are allowed in the classroom. I will provide firearms with training barrels, verified dummy rounds, or Blue Guns for the classroom portion. Holster drills will be allowed ONLY at the behest of the range, range safety, and/or the instructor.

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Great news!

I have some great news. I found a distributor that can get me the targets I need even cheaper. That means the cost of the class will likely be going down, unless my other great news happens. If it does, the class cost will remain the same to help cover target frames.

I have also been asked if it would be feasible for me to work up an IDPA practice session 1 or 2 times a month to fall on a Sunday that may be allowed to coincide with the class. At this time, I do not have a price projection for an IDPA practice session, but be assured I will work on it rather quickly. I figure that a 3-5 scenario match is $15-$25, so it would be easy to set this up for $3-$5 range per run.

If this does happen, your range time will actually be a scenario so you get a feel for how things work. How cool would that be if they help me make this happen?

I sure as hell hope you approach this with a different attitude than you did as a volunteer RO at the Andy Dalton range.
Don't forget your bullhorn as the screams will travel further with it.

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Be on the watch for a special opportunity with this class that will go fast and be VERY limited. More to come by the end of the month when the date and time is locked in officially. It's still going to be on a Sunday and not on the same weekend as the IDPA match at Bear Creek.

Last edited:

Be on the watch for a special opportunity with this class that will go fast and be VERY limited. More to come by the end of the month when the date and time is locked in officially. It's still going to be on a Sunday and not on the same weekend as the IDPA match at Bear Creek.

Waiting with great anticipation.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Date and time are confirmed. Lane reservation is locked in.

Date: October 17, 2010
Time: 3:30pm (1530 for you military folks)
Location: SOF-USA indoor range in Ozark, Mo ( www.sof-usa.com)
What: Introduction to IDPA class - 2 hour IDPA practice session immediately after that is open to the public!
First class size: 10 students.

Cost: $10 per shooter, limit 10 shooters - keep reading to see why!

Equipment needs: cover garment (not required, but try to bring one), semi-automatic pistol or revolver (no ported or compensated barrels), closed toed shoes, holster (pm me with what you have and I can tell you if it's good to go, if it's not, please bring it anyway so I can use it as an example), mag carrier is suggested, at least 2 magazines (3 is preferred) or speedloaders if you have a revolver (3 is preferred), 50 rounds of ammo (ammo is available for purchase at SOF if needed), eye and hearing protection.

BONUS: The first 10 students will get their range time for free and a slight reduction to make it an even $10 per student. (I'm trying to get the class down to the $15 mark permanently)

PM me to reserve your spot, I'm limited to 10 in the classroom and 5 on the range at a time! Prepayment is required or your discounted spot will be given to someone else.

Practice session update: Brad and I have not decided how to work the timing on the practice session with the intro class....yet. We will be conducting a trial set-up, shoot, and tear-down to see how long it will take to run 3-5 people through with proper scoring. If it works out, it may immediately follow the intro classes or have an extended time if no intro class is being held.

**Note: The smallest semiauto caliber allowed is 9mm, the smallest revolver caliber is .38spl, I suggest factory ammo.

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

SOF-USA range members will receive an extra perk on the first 10 slots. This will include anyone who obtains a new membership with SOF-USA, I wouldn't want new members to miss out.

SOF-USA Basic members: Class will be $5
SOF-USA Premium members: Class will be FREE!

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Hey OCDO folks, I'm going to make you the same offer I made the MissouriCarry/MSSA folks. This is a 1st come 1st served deal since I'm only going to approve it for just 1 person.

Bring an OCDO t-shirt (if they exist) in size XXL as a thank you to Brad and I'll waive your class fee as well as split the cost of the shirt with you. You'll need to make prior arrangements on this and still need to pre-pay unless you get me the shirt in advance somehow. I'll kick you a refund day of class.

It's a chance to get OCDO out there at the range as well as get you in the intro class for free for your effort.

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

6 seats left!

Targets are in!! I should have an up-down and a pop-out ready for the class. I hope to have the up-down ready for Brad to test this Sunday.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Up-down target is near complete. I just need to get the weighting set for the front and rear to finish it up. Testing will likely be conducted at SOF on Sunday!

This up-down has the ability to be activated from either side of the target, from the front or the side, and it can even be an up-only or a down-only target. Talk about versatility.

BOLO: I will be working on a version of this up-down to have a polymer flipper in the middle so that it will not go down until you hit the polymer flipper. Could certainly be a fun target to use once it's finished.

Judging by the amount of replies to this thread there is a overwhelming amount of interest to this activity. How are you going to handle all of it?

heresyourdipstickjimmy

1 seat left!

MoNG folks have confirmed 2 seats and have 2 tentatives they need to confirm today. If those confirmations do not go through today I will open those 2 seats up.

Hey OCDO, the t-shirt offer still stands. Bring an OCDO t-shirt and I'll split the shirt cost as well as waive the classroom fee.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Last seat is pending confirmation today!

At this time there no extra seats are being made available. If the range owners give me the go-ahead to open more seats I will do so and keep the t-shirt offer open since no one has taken up on it yet from OCDO.

Last edited: