• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Subway a no gun store or not?

zack991

Subway a pro gun store or not?

I stopped by my local subway this evening in north side of Youngstown, where I am well known as the open carry guy. The manger love seeing me come in late night on and off duty. ( I do armed security nearby.) I had seen a no carry sign, and they recently had been robbed a few days ago for the fifth time. There have been 2 or 3 times over the last two years when I was both in and out of uniform, but still open carrying I was able to "help" settle some problems with customers. So needless to say I am well known there and both the owner and manager welcome me with open arms. So I went in to speak with the manger who knows me by name, he said recently that corporate is forcing the owners of all subways to push a no gun policy now whereas before it was up to the owners if they wanted to enforce the policy.

So I told them that I will no longer be spending my money there. I am working-on an email to send to their corporate to see what the hell is going on. I went to Wal-mart to get pizza for dinner and I forgot they had a subway there as well, yet I saw no sign in their store. I asked the girl working and she said she was not sure what I was talking about, that I would have to see her manager in the morning. Does that mean Wal-Mart is exempt from enforcing their policy?

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Sounds like yet another panty-wetting establishment that seems to think a sign will actually stop a bad guy. Likely the old knee-jerk reaction. I guess they don't read or watch the news much to see how often and how well those signs work. :banghead:

Some folks simply will never learn. Certainly sounds like they need to let their employees carry and give them authorization to defensively shoot anyone who puts a gun in their face. They have to turn their back at some point.

Last edited:

hogeaterf6

Wow. We have 5 of them in our county including one at wal mart. Dont recall seeing a sign yet. Now i'll have to go look.

zack991

Wow. We have 5 of them in our county including one at wal mart. Dont recall seeing a sign yet. Now i'll have to go look.
That is why i was very surprised to see one, I have been there on a fairly regular routine. The manager was not happy with the new policy and that they will likely be robbed more often now. Youngstown had the third highest murder per ca pita last year in the country if i remember right.

Last edited:

hogeaterf6

Youngstown had the third highest murder per ca pita last year in the country if i remember right.

Musta been right after Gary Ind lol

I'll look this weekend. If its true, no money will be exchanged there again.

zack991

MY LETTER TO SUB WAY. I am sending this letter to clear up a question about your GUN policy while attempting to spend money at one of your establishments in Youngstown OH. I was heading in to buy dinner this evening and noticed a sign on the door that you request me not enter your store while carrying? Just a few days ago there was no sign at all and I was informed this evening that you are forcing store owners to enforce a anti gun policy that you where at one point not enforcing. I will not spend another dollar in your stores as you have declared your stores as a criminal protection zone by posting your stores with no firearms signs. I hope you understand that the only people the sign affects is the law abiding citizens who are of no danger. Your signs will not stop criminals since by definition they are criminals and have no interest in following the law. Even though this same store has been robbed several times already this year. The thousands of dollars I spend in your stores a year will now be going to your competitors that respect my rights. I will also be encouraging everyone I know to boycott your stores until you respect my rights and family's personal safety.

Respectfully, Zachary (*()____

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
MY LETTER TO SUB WAY. I am sending this letter to clear up a question about your GUN policy while attempting to spend money at one of your establishments in Youngstown OH. I was heading in to buy dinner this evening and noticed a sign on the door that you request me not enter your store while carrying? Just a few days ago there was no sign at all and I was informed this evening that you are forcing store owners to enforce a anti gun policy that you where at one point not enforcing. I will not spend another dollar in your stores as you have declared your stores as a criminal protection zone by posting your stores with no firearms signs. I hope you understand that the only people the sign affects is the law abiding citizens who are of no danger. Your signs will not stop criminals since by definition they are criminals and have no interest in following the law. Even though this same store has been robbed several times already this year. The thousands of dollars I spend in your stores a year will now be going to your competitors that respect my rights. I will also be encouraging everyone I know to boycott your stores until you respect my rights and family's personal safety.

Respectfully, Zachary (*()____

I just sent them a similar message, I'll post their response if I get one.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Yet another @$$-backwards, knuckleheaded, knee-jerk reaction attempting to eliminate firearms on one's premises, thereby excluding all law-abiding citizens who carry firearms, while simultaneously creating an open "rob me!" invitation to criminals so they can enjoy the "gun-free zone" that's been created for them to pluck Subway's registers at will with impunity.

Print out this thread and take it to your manager friend. As him, "Are you actually giving any serious consideration towards enforcing this very ill-informed and inexperienced policy?"

If he says "yes," then say, "Then I'm sorry. I can no longer frequent any establishment which attempts to strip me of my rights to protect myself and my loved ones. Furthermore, since I'm not around, I'll not be here to protect you or your staff, either."

Then leave. Don't say another word. Just turn around and leave. Dust off your shoes and leave them to the target-rich environment they've just created for themselves. It probably won't change their minds, and unfortunately, some employees and/or patrons might loose their lives before Subway's management pulls their heads out of their @$$es, if ever they do.

But it's the only sane thing you can do. Consider it "tough love." Some people are bound and determined to put themselves in harm's way. You can address your concerns only once or twice as a friend before you cross the bounds into codependant behavior. If they want to open that door and go walking the train tracks through a narrow tunnel, that's their choice. They're adults, and they'll have to live with the consequences of their choices, the first of which should be a total and complete lack of any further funds from your hard-earned cash towards supporting their business.

Try Wendy's, Arby's, McDonald's, Burger King, or any of the other big-name chains. I've never had any problem carrying in their establishments.

Seriously! Print this out and show it to him. Heck, print it out and send it along with a copy of your letter to Subway corporate. Hopefully, the right guy will get a clue and reverse his/her decision before they further endanger themselves or their clientelle.

Big Boy

I was in the subway in Warrensburg, Mo just last week OC'ing. Didn't see any signs and have been in there before. No one said anything either other than a little girl, who as I was walking out said, "look dady he has a gun!". The dad of course turned around pretty quickly, I just gave a nod and a smile, threw my trash away, and was on my way.

MatieA

I spoke with the owner of one of our local Subways today and he said that he has heard nothing from Corporate concerning guns. He will call me if/when he does.

zack991

I have herd nothing from Subway from my email yet and so I decide to call. I spoke with a woman who was nice and I asked her about their policy and she has said that there is no corporate policy that forces owners of their franchise to make them ban guns from the store, that it is up to the owner if they choice to put the sign up. I asked if she could send me a copy of that policy and she will get back to be by phone or email. I then called the store in which I USED to frequent and left the owner a message and asked for him to return my call and gave the managers name who told me it came from corporate.

Last edited:

eye95

Subway is a franchise outfit. The corporation likely does not own the store mentioned by the OP. However, the store probably has an owner who owns several stores within his franchise territory. He is probably the person who has instituted a no-gun policy for his stores.

If that is the case, then only his stores should be subject to any boycott.

Thanks to Zack for getting a Subway corporate read.

protias

I remember a few Wisconsin Carry members walk into the West Bend, WI one yesterday during our monthly gathering at a Starbucks. No issues.