Thread: Working Armed without Carry License

Working Armed without Carry License

Hello

I just got a job offer to be an Armed guard in Long Island.

I have my NYS Armed Guard License and I have my residence permit.

The requirement for the Job is to use my personnal 9mm that is registered on my residence permit. I would like to know if I need any other type of License to be able to work doing this without getting into trouble with the law.
    I asked the person that interviewed me if I'm going to get an ID that certifies if I work for the company.

Please Help they want me to Start work Sept 30th.

Thank You

Wink

You state you have a "residence" permit which I presume you had prior to getting your guard certification. You have what would be termed as a "restricted permit" as you are limited to residence only. I would check with the county that issued you the permit. I would imagine you would need to show proof of employment and need and request to have your permit amended to include "place of employment". Each county can be different in what they want to do that. Good luck.

I see your location is NYC

Having your 47hour armed guard certificate allows you to apply for an armed guard license thru NYPD. You are not allowed to use your premise green(permit) for anything other than "premise" or authorized range use. Since you are working in another county, you should verify with the job's gun custodian. If your job was in NYC you would defenitely need to apply with the NYPD for a "guard license"
    Last edited by rick900; 09-27-2010 at 09:06 PM.

If you are on peace officer status you should be good to go,but I'de check to see if you are for sure. Back when I was in dept.of corrections being a peace officer was all I needed.

security guards DO NOT HAVE peace officer status in NYS

Request a permit. hmmm you guys are pushing to get rid of that right ?