• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question: North Las Vegas, Vegas Strip

Caliburn

I am new to the whole "Open Carry" movement as I just purchased my first firearm this week and want to open carry. A Smith & Wesson M&P .45, in point of fact. For those who live in Las Vegas, Nevada - here is a point of reference. I live up near Tenaya/Alexander.

Now here's my question. How is "Open Carry" treated up here in Northern Las Vegas? I'm concerned because nobody seems to have a straight answer regarding this subject. Can I open carry without fear of harassment? Can I have the pistol chambered or not?

Same questions in relation to the Vegas Strip.

The last thing I want is to wind up in jail. Advice on this will be VERY appreciated.

Bravo_Sierra

SB 92 is pretty clear, but I'm led to believe that some officers are not aware in the communist republic of North Las Vegas.

Legislative Counsel’s Digest:
1 Assembly Bill No. 147 of the 1989 Legislative Session (Chapter 308, Statutes
2 of Nevada 1989, p. 653) reserved for the Legislature the rights and powers
3 necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership,
4 transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in this State.
5 However, section 5 of Assembly Bill No. 147 provided that the preemptive effect
6 of the bill applied only to ordinances or regulations adopted by local governments
7 on or after June 13, 1989. This bill amends that section to include and preempt
8 ordinances or regulations adopted by local governments before June 13, 1989.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/74th/Bills/SB/SB92.pdf

Last edited:

Terry NLV

North Las Vegas

I live in North Las Vegas and open carry all the time.

Never have a problem with NLV PD

MilitaryMike

Same. I open carry a majority of the time, and typically I don't get hassled (store clerks might hassle you). DO what I did. Call North Las Vegas Police Department, ask them if they are enforcing that unconstitutional law. I was told no, and I wrote down the name, badge/employee #, and the date time of when I spoke to them.