• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Training ammo

eye95

I am totally ignorant when it comes to wax ammo. I've never heard of such an animal.

My concern would be the increased propensity of a soft material to leave debris behind in the barrel. Waxy build-up on my floors is one thing. In my barrel???

vmaxriders

I have the same concerns for my firearm. I ran across it on the net. I know nothing about it either. I was just wondering if anyone out there had any experience with that animal. I'm looking for a low cost viabletraining ammo. I currently shoot about 500 rounds a month.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 100

heresyourdipstickjimmy

What's the purpose of your desired use of wax ammo as a training aid?

What's already been posted about shedding is a concern I would also have. I would think that the ballistics of a wax or plastic bullet will not be the same as a real bullet, thus your accuracy could not be practiced.

I personally find that snap-caps (dummy rounds) are the best option when working with fundamentals without using live ammunition when you know accuracy cannot be checked.

Another technique I had to use in the military to teach fundamentals with the M9 Beretta was to put a #2 pencil (eraser first) down the barrel and let it touch the breech face. Point it at a piece of paper on a wall or other surface, in close proximity so the pencil will touch the paper (like 1-2 inches max) then pull the trigger and the pencil will mark on the paper. Repeat and check to see where the marks are winding up. If they're moving, then your fundamentals need work (there are targets out there showing what your fundamentals are doing with bullet impact, so use those for this exercise).

There are certainly other techniques I've picked up and others out there, but these are two I've trusted for years and they seem to work quite well.

vmaxriders

Thanks for ur suggestions. I was looking for a reasonably priced training ammo and ran across it in the net. It seemed like a childs idea to me. I was interested in feed back from someone knowledgable on real training. I am training on my conceal carry strongside draw. Single out of the draw with a two handed double tap follow up. I'm still a lil slow in my opinion but I'm not trying to force it. Rather building technical and muscle memory. Any advice. I like the pencil advice.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 95

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Thanks for ur suggestions. I was looking for a reasonably priced training ammo and ran across it in the net. It seemed like a childs idea to me. I was interested in feed back from someone knowledgable on real training. I am training on my conceal carry strongside draw. Single out of the draw with a two handed double tap follow up. I'm still a lil slow in my opinion but I'm not trying to force it. Rather building technical and muscle memory. Any advice. I like the pencil advice.

Well that's great to hear! Training...such an excellent concept. What you've described is exactly what I use snap caps for. I've used a full length mirror as well so I can watch muzzle movement in the reflection. I found it even more useful learning to work with a double action revolver. The mirror trick allows me to work on my draw, muzzle placement, sight picture, trigger pull (with the snap caps of course) and firearms clearing procedures as I can use the snap caps to simulate a dud primer. Just something to consider as it's not something that works for everyone. Just remember not to have a laser turned on if you use the mirror technique, it's easy to get it in your own eye that way. (yes, someone I know has done this)

As for the el-cheapo ammo, since I shoot 9mm (.45ACP got too expensive) I've found the Winchester bulk box to be cheap enough to suit my needs. I stay away from steel cased ammo as I've been witness to too many issues with it, it seems the imported military firearms built for the stuff don't seem to have very many problems, but the firearms built for brass certainly can.

If you get any of the wax ammo to try, post up your thoughts on the stuff. You never know when someone else might have the same question you had.

Last edited: