• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Printing in SC

Tweaker

I just did a search and found nada.

How frequently has it occurred in SC:

A person CCW is charged with a crime or harassed for a firearm that inadvertently becomes visible?

A person maintains total visual cover over a gun, but the fact that the person has a gun becomes known/suspected due to the outline of the gun is apparent to someone and they are harassed/arrested? (Printing)

Tweaker

Thank you sir! That makes me feel better about my potential move to SC. I like to OC so that loss of freedom is a serious consideration for me. I bet there may be a challenge to prohibiting OC bans as a result of the recent and pending supreme court cases. Let's hope!

I was going to consider ways around the OC ban, such as a cute little cozy with lacy fringes around it to use as a cover over my OC holster. Mebbe crochet the words, "not a gun" on the outside? Not a good idea, I know!

The text of the statute would seem to prohibit this end run, as that would not constitute normal clothing.

Last edited:

sultan62

Thank you sir! That makes me feel better about my potential move to SC. I like to OC so that loss of freedom is a serious consideration for me. I bet there may be a challenge to prohibiting OC bans as a result of the recent and pending supreme court cases. Let's hope!

I was going to consider ways around the OC ban, such as a cute little cozy with lacy fringes around it to use as a cover over my OC holster. Mebbe crochet the words, "not a gun" on the outside? Not a good idea, I know!

The text of the statute would seem to prohibit this end run, as that would not constitute normal clothing.

I live in NC, and am leaning toward getting my CHP right now, partially so I can legally carry in SC. I'm thinking maybe an empty open holster while CC? or a paper print-out of a gun sticking out of a pocket?

Dreamer

I live in NC, and am leaning toward getting my CHP right now, partially so I can legally carry in SC. I'm thinking maybe an empty open holster while CC? or a paper print-out of a gun sticking out of a pocket?

You know from the NC forum that I'm a HUGE fan of civil disobedience, especially of the First Amendment kind (freedom of speech/expression). So I'm going to say I like the first part of your idea, but I don't like the second part. Here's why:

An empty holster is OBVIOUSLY an EMPTY holster. It is an open, empty container on your belt, and nobody--not even the most crazed anti-gun soccer mom yuppie is going to mistake it for a gun. Empty holsters are an enigma--Holsters are meant to carry a gun, so wearing an empty one will often be a conversation starter--people will ask you why you are wearing it--and that gives you the opportunity to educate them to things like OC, silly gun laws, and such.

A paper printout of a gun (or a blue/orange plastic "training gun) worn in a holster, however, is in my opinion, just short of a Darwin Award situation. It's almost an open invitation for someone to call in a MWAG call on you, or some twitchy rookie to put a few rounds in you back while you are reaching for your wallet at the ATM. ESPECIALLY in a low-light situation, wearing a graphic depiction of a gun or a "training gun" in a holster/pocket/waistband is pretty much ASKING to be treated like a troublemaker.

It's one thing to be accused of being a troublemaker but be actually posing no visible threat to anyone--just making a statement in an oddball or eccentric way (empty holster).

It's quite another thing altogether to give the APPEARANCE of doing something illegal while technically not breaking the law...

Personally I think EVERY gun owner should EHOC any time they visit SC, FL, TX, MD, NY, NJ, and any other place that doesn't allow (or severely restricts) OC as a statement of solidarity and blatant civil disobedience. They CAN'T arrest you for a firearms violation--there are NO laws on the books that prohibit wearing an empty holster in ANY state. And they would be VERY hard pressed to even make a Disorderly Conduct charge stick, because you would have a positive defense of the First Amendment.

The purchase, possession, and even WEARING of a holster in and of itself is ENTIRELY non-regulated--you don't even have to be 18 or provide ID to buy one. In the eyes of the law, at least for regulatory purposes, a holster is no different than a t-shirt. Someone might not like what it says, but that doesn't make wearing one a crime...

Any attempt to try and tie EHOC to any sort of disorderly conduct is a direct and blatant violation of your FUNDAMENTAL CIVIL RIGHTS and is nothing more than a JBT trampling of the 1A.

If any court would attempt to convict me for DC while EHOCing, my next move would be to file a Federal Civil Rights Violation (§1983) lawsuit against the arresting officers, their department, the DA, and the presiding Judge. The mere suggestion of such a filing should be enough to get them to drop such a frivolous charge...

Superlite27

What's wrong with a shirt having "ACCORDING TO STATE LAW MY LEGALLY CARRIED FIREARM IS COMPLETELY CONCEALED BENEATH THIS SHIRT" printed accross it?

If you can't SEE it, it's legitimately concealed, correct? This doesn't mean its existance is unknown. Concealed means "unable to be seen", right? So technically, a shirt informing the public you are carrying is perfectly fine as long as your firearm remains CONCEALED beneath it, correct?

Can anyone find anything wrong with this?

Last edited:

sultan62

You know from the NC forum that I'm a HUGE fan of civil disobedience, especially of the First Amendment kind (freedom of speech/expression). So I'm going to say I like the first part of your idea, but I don't like the second part. Here's why:

An empty holster is OBVIOUSLY an EMPTY holster. It is an open, empty container on your belt, and nobody--not even the most crazed anti-gun soccer mom yuppie is going to mistake it for a gun. Empty holsters are an enigma--Holsters are meant to carry a gun, so wearing an empty one will often be a conversation starter--people will ask you why you are wearing it--and that gives you the opportunity to educate them to things like OC, silly gun laws, and such.

A paper printout of a gun (or a blue/orange plastic "training gun) worn in a holster, however, is in my opinion, just short of a Darwin Award situation. It's almost an open invitation for someone to call in a MWAG call on you, or some twitchy rookie to put a few rounds in you back while you are reaching for your wallet at the ATM. ESPECIALLY in a low-light situation, wearing a graphic depiction of a gun or a "training gun" in a holster/pocket/waistband is pretty much ASKING to be treated like a troublemaker.

It's one thing to be accused of being a troublemaker but be actually posing no visible threat to anyone--just making a statement in an oddball or eccentric way (empty holster).

It's quite another thing altogether to give the APPEARANCE of doing something illegal while technically not breaking the law...

Personally I think EVERY gun owner should EHOC any time they visit SC, FL, TX, MD, NY, NJ, and any other place that doesn't allow (or severely restricts) OC as a statement of solidarity and blatant civil disobedience. They CAN'T arrest you for a firearms violation--there are NO laws on the books that prohibit wearing an empty holster in ANY state. And they would be VERY hard pressed to even make a Disorderly Conduct charge stick, because you would have a positive defense of the First Amendment.

The purchase, possession, and even WEARING of a holster in and of itself is ENTIRELY non-regulated--you don't even have to be 18 or provide ID to buy one. In the eyes of the law, at least for regulatory purposes, a holster is no different than a t-shirt. Someone might not like what it says, but that doesn't make wearing one a crime...

Any attempt to try and tie EHOC to any sort of disorderly conduct is a direct and blatant violation of your FUNDAMENTAL CIVIL RIGHTS and is nothing more than a JBT trampling of the 1A.

If any court would attempt to convict me for DC while EHOCing, my next move would be to file a Federal Civil Rights Violation (§1983) lawsuit against the arresting officers, their department, the DA, and the presiding Judge. The mere suggestion of such a filing should be enough to get them to drop such a frivolous charge...

Good point, you've convinced me. Holster will be empty.

What's wrong with a shirt having "ACCORDING TO STATE LAW MY LEGALLY CARRIED FIREARM IS COMPLETELY CONCEALED BENEATH THIS SHIRT" printed accross it?

If you can't SEE it, it's legitimately concealed, correct? This doesn't mean its existance is unknown. Concealed means "unable to be seen", right? So technically, a shirt informing the public you are carrying is perfectly fine as long as your firearm remains CONCEALED beneath it, correct?

Can anyone find anything wrong with this?

I think that also would go back to protection under the First Amendment.

The Wolfhound

As my protest at the 2A rally in DC, I carried "tactical banana". My largest holster loaded with the largest banana I could find in the store the night before the trip. It got a few comments but no problems. YMMV