• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why wear a holster?

eye95

After threads from folks who carry loose in their pockets or loose in their belts, I thought we could post a consolidated thread for reasons to use a holster. Three come to mind immediately for me:

1. Protecting the trigger from being snagged.

2. Controlling the direction of the barrel.

3. Retaining the firearm.

Others?

Deanimator

After threads from folks who carry loose in their pockets or loose in their belts, I thought we could post a consolidated thread for reasons to use a holster. Three come to mind immediately for me:

1. Protecting the trigger from being snagged.

2. Controlling the direction of the barrel.

3. Retaining the firearm.

Others?
If you're in a vehicle in Ohio and the gun's on your body, it's REQUIRED BY LAW.

eye95

I am unfamiliar with OH law (for obvious reasons).

You have to holster a gun on your person in your car? But, not so on foot? Interesting.

An excellent reason to add to the list.

Tomas

Concealment...

My BUG is carried in a pants pocket in a holster that makes it print like a wallet instead of a gun.

Protection...

A BUG in a pocket picks up a lot less pocket cruft when properly holstered than just floating about in the lint and stuff.

Access...

A holster for primary or BUG controls it's position better, allowing swifter, more assured access.

Looks...

It just LOOKS much more professional to have one's handgun in a proper holster. (I use a leather holsters with retention, and keep them polished.)

Snakemathis

Comfortability: Dont get me wrong, not all holster are comfortable, but for the most part, placing my sidearm in a seperate article of clothing (holster) on my hip is much more comfortable than doing a mexican or butt-crack carry.

eye95

On the access point: I am sure drawing the weapon from a pocket holster allows for easier positioning of the index finger outside the trigger guard. Drawing a weapon whose position is not locked in by a holster would always create the risk of an unfortunately placed finger.

since9

Campaign Veteran
5. Avoiding a criminal appearance. I'm not saying criminals don't use holsters. Some do. What I'm saying is that nearly all law-abiding citizens do use holsters. Thus, if you're carrying around a firearm jammed in your waistband, you appear to LEO as a "bad guy."

6. Rapid withdrawal control. I can draw and fire reliably in less than a second from my side holster. If it were just jammed in my pants or a pocket, the time would be higher, as would the liklihood of snagging it on something.

Last edited:

eye95

I hadn't even considered #5. We are taught that we should not judge a book by its cover. However, everyone does. A lot. So wear a good cover.

Daylen

I hadn't even considered #5. We are taught that we should not judge a book by its cover. However, everyone does. A lot. So wear a good cover.

or OC in the buff and see if anyone notices the firearm!

Deanimator

I am unfamiliar with OH law (for obvious reasons).

You have to holster a gun on your person in your car? But, not so on foot? Interesting.

An excellent reason to add to the list.
Approved means of transporting a loaded firearm in the passenger compartment in a vehicle in Ohio:

1. In a holster on your body.
  2. In a closed (doesn't have to be locked) glove box or center console.
  3. In a closed container with some sort of closing mechanism (snap, zipper, etc.) in plain sight, eg. a purse, briefcase, gun case, etc.
  4. In a locked container out of plain sight.

Last edited:

Johnny W

Sweat protection

To keep some of the sweat and moisture out of the weapon, and to keep lint from obstructing the barrel or possibly jamming the action. I know the latter has already been mentioned.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I would also say consistency. I have the luxury of owning a private and exclusive shooting range so to speak, and tried drawing from concealment drills. The first several attempts showed me that I needed to practice. Wearing a holster lends assistance in maintaining muscle memory IMO, because the weapon is always in the same place. Practice will help increase the speed at which one can safely draw and place well aimed shots. This could make the world of difference when suddenly attacked.

We can't OC in TX, but it's the same principle.

Johnny W

Reminded of more

A couple more reasons subsequent replies have reminded me about:

Protection from pointy parts of the gun. Some guns, like a 1911 with ambidextrous safety, have parts which can dig into you if you don't have something between you and the sharp corners. I have literally had it draw blood on one occasion, wearing it all day. A good holster will prevent this.

On the same note, someone has already mentioned protecting the trigger from accidental/unintended use, but a good holster can also prevent some safeties from unintentionally disengaging, providing an additional level of security against unintentional discharge.

Protection of the finish/clothes when repeatedly practicing your draws. This only applies to some gun/holster combinations, but a Kydex holster will wear less on the finish of a gun than a leather or cloth one, or than one's clothing. Also the gun won't wear on the clothing if you're using a holster.

One substantial reason NOT to use a holster, in some few cases, is to aid in concealment. A holster really adds a lot of bulk and adds substantially to the bulge. If you really want to make sure no one sees what you have, carrying without a holster may help. This is probably one reason why criminals often don't use holsters.

4angrybadgers

One substantial reason NOT to use a holster, in some few cases, is to aid in concealment. A holster really adds a lot of bulk and adds substantially to the bulge. If you really want to make sure no one sees what you have, carrying without a holster may help. This is probably one reason why criminals often don't use holsters.
Does it? Depending on the gun, a holster shouldn't substantially add to its bulk. Moreover, it will conceal the outline of the gun, so even if it does "print" somewhat you won't immediately think "GUN!!!!".