• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why wear a holster?

HeroHog

A holster, of the right type, will disguise the shape of a gun when concealed so it doesn't "print."

It also makes it possible to remove the gun from a pocket/bag without touching the trigger accidentally lessening accidental discharges and it gives those around when a firearm is handled in a holster rather than in the hand like it was to be/could be used.

Gunslinger

After threads from folks who carry loose in their pockets or loose in their belts, I thought we could post a consolidated thread for reasons to use a holster. Three come to mind immediately for me:

1. Protecting the trigger from being snagged.

2. Controlling the direction of the barrel.

3. Retaining the firearm.

Others?

Keeping crap out of the action/barrel comes to mind. Loose pocket carry is a bad idea. Pocket holsters work well.

Gunslinger

5. Avoiding a criminal appearance. I'm not saying criminals don't use holsters. Some do. What I'm saying is that nearly all law-abiding citizens do use holsters. Thus, if you're carrying around a firearm jammed in your waistband, you appear to LEO as a "bad guy."

6. Rapid withdrawal control. I can draw and fire reliably in less than a second from my side holster. If it were just jammed in my pants or a pocket, the time would be higher, as would the liklihood of snagging it on something.

Or shooting yourself somewhere you wouldn't like....:>

confedneck

As some have already said :

Consistency, being able to repeat the same draw action

Safety, being able to repeat the action of carrying your pistol with your bitsNpieces in tact

Appearance, people already associate guns with bad guys, they REALLY associate waist-band-lodged pistols with gang-bangers, save yourself the hassle

Average Dad

Holsters are sexy!

All the above stated reasons are good ones to be sure. Safety, perception and comfort are all valid reasons to use a holster. Another way to think about it is that holsters are sexy.

Think of it as lingerie for your pistol. Sure when it comes down to doing business, naked always works. :D But, there's nothing wrong with a little decoration to set the mood is there?

sultan62

Comfort.

Draw Consistency.

Protection of myself, including trigger coverage.

Protection of the gun, such as debris from pocket.

eye95

Holsters are sexy!

All the above stated reasons are good ones to be sure. Safety, perception and comfort are all valid reasons to use a holster. Another way to think about it is that holsters are sexy.

Think of it as lingerie for your pistol. Sure when it comes down to doing business, naked always works. :D But, there's nothing wrong with a little decoration to set the mood is there?

There it is! That's the reason. The only one we need.