• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Congress changes intellectual disability wording.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,

Tomas

Doug, are you implying that you object because the United Nations happens to use the same medical term?

Disabilities advocates are applauding Congress for passing legislation that eliminates the term "mental retardation" from federal laws.

The measure, passed by the House by voice vote Wednesday night, changes the phrase "mentally retarded" to "an individual with an intellectual disability" in existing health, education and labor law.

youngck

Before people with lower IQs were classified as mildly, severely, or profoundly retarded, the classifications were imbecile, moron, and idiot. Intellectual and Developmental Disability is the next iteration. On the other hand, maybe the Senator was tired of being characterized as retarded.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The CDC is now the health arm of the UN and the White House? WTF!?!?

Alex Jones will be all over this shortly. Conspiracy theorists will permanently add this to their list of signs of a coming One World Government under the heading of an accidental slip.

While I don't ordinarily subscribe to such theories, some pretty ugly stuff has been reasonably well proven; so, it wouldn't surprise me to find out one morning that it was true after all.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
The problem is that retardation isn't limited to intellectual deficiencies but rather encompasses all neurological deficiencies contributing to the inability to function 'properly'. Attempting to define retardation by strictly intellectual measures is extremely misguided and serves no good purpose to refer to it as simply an intellectual disability.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

It's a matter of semantics, and if it doesn't apply to you, why do you need to have an opinion?
And I think you meant "they're retarded."

rodbender

It's a matter of semantics, and if it doesn't apply to you, why do you need to have an opinion?
And I think you meant "they're retarded."

Is this a personal attack? Gee, I'm so hurt. Why would it not apply to me? Am I not entitled to an opinion of congress? BTW, I misspell things on purpose sometimes, jest to see hoo will bea arogant enuff to corect me (check some of my other posts). You are the first. Congatulations, WOO WHOO!!!!!

SFCRetired

Most in congress have an intellectual disability........Nah, there just plain retarded.
One small correction: The majority of the members of Congress are not retarded. They are what we here in the South call "ate slam up with the dumb a$$."

Those that are not afflicted with that particular malady seem to have severe cases of cranio-rectal insertion.

Both of these horrible illnesses seem to be epidemic in each of the state capitols and in Washington, D.C. There is evidence that it has also spread to a lot of city governments.

Speculation is rampant that these maladies originated in other countries and were spread to the U.S. by delegates to the U.N.

rodbender

One small correction: The majority of the members of Congress are not retarded. They are what we here in the South call "ate slam up with the dumb a$$."

Those that are not afflicted with that particular malady seem to have severe cases of cranio-rectal insertion.

Both of these horrible illnesses seem to be epidemic in each of the state capitols and in Washington, D.C. There is evidence that it has also spread to a lot of city governments.

Speculation is rampant that these maladies originated in other countries and were spread to the U.S. by delegates to the U.N.

I don't particularly like technical terms. Besides, retarded is easier to say.