• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry-related apps

Eeyore

I thought I'd start a thread where people could report on and review carry- and gun-related apps for smartphones and iPads. I'll kick it off with my recent purchase.

I recently downloaded "Legal Heat" from iTunes. (It just upgraded from an iPhone-only version a few weeks ago. I have no idea if there's an Android version.) It has complete legal information on both open and concealed carry, with a "friendliness rating" for each, for every state (plus the District of Corruption). Much of the OC content (maps, legal commentary, etc.) appears to be copied from OCDO. The CC stuff appears to come from www.handgunlaw.us.

So basically you're paying to get free content captured from the web. The important thing is that the info is resident in the app, so it's always accessible--no internet connection required. (Presumably, they issue a software update if/when state laws change.) The interface is simple to use and reasonably attractive. I think it's totally worth $2 to get a lifetime of instantly-available gun law information.

An app like this could be invaluable in the event of a negative encounter--just whip out your iPad/iPhone and you've got the laws at your fingertips. Literally. You can carry a lot more info this way than you could ever fit on a wallet card! (not dissing the wallet cards--I still carry one because I don't carry my iPad all the time.)

So far, this is the only app I've bought. iTunes also features an app called "Gun Concealed", but I don't know anything about it. Anybody else found any good apps?

eye95

If the OCDO copyright has indeed been infringed, maybe John and Mike can defray some of the expenses of operating this site by, in the most lawyerly of ways, requesting compensation.

Eeyore

Maybe you should consider switching to decaf?

Are you saying that the opencarry.org copyright has been ripped off, and you're touting the product?

I'm saying nothing of the kind. I don't claim to be a copyright lawyer. I don't know if OCDO (or handgunlaw.us) is public domain or not, and I don't believe the "Legal Heat" developers are claiming credit for the content.

Or was your comment tongue-in-cheek?

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm saying nothing of the kind. I don't claim to be a copyright lawyer. I don't know if OCDO (or handgunlaw.us) is public domain or not, and I don't believe the "Legal Heat" developers are claiming credit for the content.

That would depend upon whether or not the maps and other content contained herein is original material, or if it was copied from other sources.

Here's the link to Legal Heat for iPhone and iPod Touch.

Phil-Legal Heat claims to be the developer, and posts the following:

"Thanks for the writeup! I am actually the developer and I just wanted to thank you for your review of the app and let you know that there is an update coming out in January that will GREATLY improve the quality and content of the app. We currently have 2 attorneys reviewing each state’s laws and adding new features. We are working diligently to improve this app and look forward to making it one of the premiere resources around for concealed carry (and eventually many other areas of firearm law).
Thanks again and take care!
Phil"

Judge for yourselves. It doesn't look like it was lifted from OCDO to me.

Eeyore

RIGHT2BEAR,and Gun Rights are also good ones

I clicked the ad for Right2Bear at the top of the forum. Instead, it took me to one of those "let us scan your computer for viruses!" pop-ups. Since these things are at best annoying and at worst the very cyberattacks they purport to be protecting us from, I did an immediate U-turn. Because of this, I'm gonna give Right2Bear a big thumbs down until that site can prove it's bona fides.

Moderators, you might want to verify the legitimacy of the URL associated with the Right2Bear ad.

Dreamer

Technically not OC-related, but I can highly recommend Surefires "ShotTimer" app, especially for training on "move and shoot" courses. We used this app at a recent NC Range Day, and it made an already fun and challenging course even more challenging, because it gives elapsed time, first shot time, and split times between shots. IT was tremendously helpful--not just in "scoring" but in helping people troubleshoot their tactics, timing reloads, and working through the stages.

Plus, it's free!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shottimer/id295005845?mt=8

There is a "pay-for" shot-timer app called "Shot Timer Pro" with a LOT more features, and they saves multiple runs. It cost $9.99, which is pricey for an iPhone app, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a dedicated shot timer...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shot-timer-pro/id356826736?mt=8

I may purchase before the next range day, but the "freebie" version from Surefire worked well for me and "exilin77" and helped everyone improve their strategies and was a huge help in assessing our performance.

Last edited: