Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: OC in DETROIT

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Detroit Mi
    Posts
    1

    OC in DETROIT

    Has anyone had any incounters with Detroit police while Open carring? If so what happened.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wyandotte, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    456
    Try posting this in the Michigan section, I'm sure you will get some answers there.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Most definitely yes. Things have improved drastically since this summer, but there were a lot of problems early on, and few hints that they are 100% stopped. There are however a number of people who OC just about every day in detroit., and I've heard of no problems recently.

    If you wish to OC there, make good and sure you know the laws, carry at least 2 recorders, and if at all possible start off first by going to a meet up so that you can get more helpful advice from those who OC daily.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    As this advice can't be Detroit-specific, I must ask: Why two recorders?

  5. #5
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    As this advice can't be Detroit-specific, I must ask: Why two recorders?
    Two recorders can be a wise choice considering the possibility of having one recorder's recording "accidentally" erased or the recorder itself dropped and stepped on during an encounter/incident. If there are two recorders running the odds of one recording surviving is increased.

    I personally prefer video with audio recorders since it may be nice to have the audio of an incident I think it is much better to have a video recording of the face to go with the voice and the actions of the person who has that face.

    But, since this discussion is in a forum not specific to any one State, it is imperative that folks know and understand the recording laws in their own State.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 09-24-2010 at 11:46 PM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Valhalla, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    351
    I read on here carry a recorder all the time. To me this sounds like paranoid carriers. If you are carring legal, doing nothing your not suppose to do, you should have no worries. If your that worried, maybe you shouldnt carry. Seems the same as putting in a video camera in your car to see if your speeding.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by hogeater f6 View Post
    I read on here carry a recorder all the time. To me this sounds like paranoid carriers. If you are carring legal, doing nothing your not suppose to do, you should have no worries. If your that worried, maybe you shouldnt carry. Seems the same as putting in a video camera in your car to see if your speeding.
    There is a vast difference between being paranoid and being prepared.

    A recorder is proof positive of how things actually happened... not just what someone says happened.

    A recorder does not lie.... but people can and do lie.

    A recording can make, or break, a case in court.

    People carry a sidearm for the purpose of being able to defend themselves from those who would do them harm.

    People carry a recorder for the purpose of being able to defend themselves from those who tell lies in order to do harm... or cover their own arse.

    And anyone who thinks that they are safe just because they are not doing anything wrong haven't thought about how sometimes people flat out lie about what the guy with a sidearm was doing.

    How to prove a lie is a lie? Have a recording of the actual truth.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Urban Skeet City, Alabama
    Posts
    897
    I been thinking about this a bit. What if you're wearing two mics... one to a recorder, and the other to a wireless mic with a receiver in your car connected to a recorder. If one turns up blanked....

    Well, all you've got to do to put the fear of retribution in 'em is to point or motion to a camera overhead and say "you're on camera." The presence of a wireless mic will make them think that the camera is attached to you and if they don't, they should suddenly start acting professional...
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by hogeater f6 View Post
    I read on here carry a recorder all the time. To me this sounds like paranoid carriers. If you are carring legal, doing nothing your not suppose to do, you should have no worries. If your that worried, maybe you shouldnt carry. Seems the same as putting in a video camera in your car to see if your speeding.
    I think you need to browse these forums a little more.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    and perhaps watch this and the 2nd part.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Valhalla, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    I think you need to browse these forums a little more.
    I have been looking at these since early summer. Alot of good info. I'm just not as paranoid enough to carry a recorder. I carry my gun in my truck 24hrs a day. When I exit, It goes on my hip. I work 3 jobs. You know how much of a pain in the ass it would be to hook up a recorder and unhook it every time as I just exit to pump gas? When I ride its on my hip. When I get to my destination, a saloon, it goes in the saddle bag. PIA for a 5 min ride, imho.

    I like carring my gun. I do it legally. The day I am paranoid that I have to carry a recorder to carry my gun legally, is the day I stop carring.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    I routinely carry a gun. It is not out of paranoia, it is for protection.

    I routinely carry a recorder. It is not out of paranoia, it is for protection.

    Just as we are aware of the possible physical dangers in our "society," for which we carry a gun, we are aware of the possible legal dangers from those "enforcing the law." Just as the vast majority of citizens present us no physical danger, so the vast majority of LEOs present us no legal danger. However, we still carry the gun for the remote possibility that someone means us physical harm, and we carry a recorder for the remote possibility that a LEO means us legal harm.

    However remote these eventualities are, we know that they do happen and have even happened to some of us. I, for one, was harassed for several hours by a Montgomery police officer who was ignorant of OC law and the restrictions of his power when he had no RAS of a crime. I wish I'd had a recorder. I now carry one all the time.

    Some folks don't carry a gun until they've been attacked. Before carrying the gun, they might've called carriers "paranoid." After being attacked, they realize that a simple bit of preparation for a very real contingency is wisdom, not paranoia.

    I hope that you are never legally attacked by a LEO. If you are, I hope that you have decided that carrying that bit of electronic protection is not paranoia, but wisdom.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Valhalla, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    351

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I routinely carry a gun. It is not out of paranoia, it is for protection.

    I routinely carry a recorder. It is not out of paranoia, it is for protection.

    Just as we are aware of the possible physical dangers in our "society," for which we carry a gun, we are aware of the possible legal dangers from those "enforcing the law." Just as the vast majority of citizens present us no physical danger, so the vast majority of LEOs present us no legal danger. However, we still carry the gun for the remote possibility that someone means us physical harm, and we carry a recorder for the remote possibility that a LEO means us legal harm.

    However remote these eventualities are, we know that they do happen and have even happened to some of us. I, for one, was harassed for several hours by a Montgomery police officer who was ignorant of OC law and the restrictions of his power when he had no RAS of a crime. I wish I'd had a recorder. I now carry one all the time.

    Some folks don't carry a gun until they've been attacked. Before carrying the gun, they might've called carriers "paranoid." After being attacked, they realize that a simple bit of preparation for a very real contingency is wisdom, not paranoia.

    I hope that you are never legally attacked by a LEO. If you are, I hope that you have decided that carrying that bit of electronic protection is not paranoia, but wisdom.
    I have been carring for 16 yrs with out a problem. Even been pulled over 100 miles from home and had it with me. It was no big deal. I think my job status has a big influence to. i know it got me out of a 79 mph in 55 mph ticket! lol
    I know at least one city cop that would love to get his hands on me.
    Its to much of a hassle for me to carry a recorder. working 3 jobs and living on a farm its the last pc of equiptment i need to worry about.
    I understand all the consequences that can happen. I'm willing to to be punished for doing something that I know was right. I choose to live my life free and the way I want. I ride without a helmet. I wreck and die, so be it. its the way I want it to be.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    And people carry for 16 years without being attacked. Should they stop carrying a gun because they have never been attacked?

    Anyway, the analogy is out there. I hope someone reads it and gets it.

    If you don't, I just hope you stop insulting people by calling them paranoid.

    Moving on.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Valhalla, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    And people carry for 16 years without being attacked. Should they stop carrying a gun because they have never been attacked?

    Anyway, the analogy is out there. I hope someone reads it and gets it.

    If you don't, I just hope you stop insulting people by calling them paranoid.

    Moving on.
    I called myself paranoid.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by hogeater f6 View Post
    ...The day I am paranoid that I have to carry a recorder to carry my gun legally, is the day I stop carring.
    ..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •