• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in DETROIT

Michigander

Most definitely yes. Things have improved drastically since this summer, but there were a lot of problems early on, and few hints that they are 100% stopped. There are however a number of people who OC just about every day in detroit., and I've heard of no problems recently.

If you wish to OC there, make good and sure you know the laws, carry at least 2 recorders, and if at all possible start off first by going to a meet up so that you can get more helpful advice from those who OC daily.

B

Bikenut

As this advice can't be Detroit-specific, I must ask: Why two recorders?

Two recorders can be a wise choice considering the possibility of having one recorder's recording "accidentally" erased or the recorder itself dropped and stepped on during an encounter/incident. If there are two recorders running the odds of one recording surviving is increased.

I personally prefer video with audio recorders since it may be nice to have the audio of an incident I think it is much better to have a video recording of the face to go with the voice and the actions of the person who has that face.

But, since this discussion is in a forum not specific to any one State, it is imperative that folks know and understand the recording laws in their own State.

Last edited by a moderator:

hogeaterf6

I read on here carry a recorder all the time. To me this sounds like paranoid carriers. If you are carring legal, doing nothing your not suppose to do, you should have no worries. If your that worried, maybe you shouldnt carry. Seems the same as putting in a video camera in your car to see if your speeding.

B

Bikenut

I read on here carry a recorder all the time. To me this sounds like paranoid carriers. If you are carring legal, doing nothing your not suppose to do, you should have no worries. If your that worried, maybe you shouldnt carry. Seems the same as putting in a video camera in your car to see if your speeding.

There is a vast difference between being paranoid and being prepared.

A recorder is proof positive of how things actually happened... not just what someone says happened.

A recorder does not lie.... but people can and do lie.

A recording can make, or break, a case in court.

People carry a sidearm for the purpose of being able to defend themselves from those who would do them harm.

People carry a recorder for the purpose of being able to defend themselves from those who tell lies in order to do harm... or cover their own arse.

And anyone who thinks that they are safe just because they are not doing anything wrong haven't thought about how sometimes people flat out lie about what the guy with a sidearm was doing.

How to prove a lie is a lie? Have a recording of the actual truth.

Kirbinator

I been thinking about this a bit. What if you're wearing two mics... one to a recorder, and the other to a wireless mic with a receiver in your car connected to a recorder. If one turns up blanked....

Well, all you've got to do to put the fear of retribution in 'em is to point or motion to a camera overhead and say "you're on camera." The presence of a wireless mic will make them think that the camera is attached to you and if they don't, they should suddenly start acting professional...

Mo

Banned

I think you need to browse these forums a little more.

hogeaterf6

I think you need to browse these forums a little more.

I have been looking at these since early summer. Alot of good info. I'm just not as paranoid enough to carry a recorder. I carry my gun in my truck 24hrs a day. When I exit, It goes on my hip. I work 3 jobs. You know how much of a pain in the ass it would be to hook up a recorder and unhook it every time as I just exit to pump gas? When I ride its on my hip. When I get to my destination, a saloon, it goes in the saddle bag. PIA for a 5 min ride, imho.

I like carring my gun. I do it legally. The day I am paranoid that I have to carry a recorder to carry my gun legally, is the day I stop carring.

eye95

I routinely carry a gun. It is not out of paranoia, it is for protection.

I routinely carry a recorder. It is not out of paranoia, it is for protection.

Just as we are aware of the possible physical dangers in our "society," for which we carry a gun, we are aware of the possible legal dangers from those "enforcing the law." Just as the vast majority of citizens present us no physical danger, so the vast majority of LEOs present us no legal danger. However, we still carry the gun for the remote possibility that someone means us physical harm, and we carry a recorder for the remote possibility that a LEO means us legal harm.

However remote these eventualities are, we know that they do happen and have even happened to some of us. I, for one, was harassed for several hours by a Montgomery police officer who was ignorant of OC law and the restrictions of his power when he had no RAS of a crime. I wish I'd had a recorder. I now carry one all the time.

Some folks don't carry a gun until they've been attacked. Before carrying the gun, they might've called carriers "paranoid." After being attacked, they realize that a simple bit of preparation for a very real contingency is wisdom, not paranoia.

I hope that you are never legally attacked by a LEO. If you are, I hope that you have decided that carrying that bit of electronic protection is not paranoia, but wisdom.

hogeaterf6

I routinely carry a gun. It is not out of paranoia, it is for protection.

I routinely carry a recorder. It is not out of paranoia, it is for protection.

Just as we are aware of the possible physical dangers in our "society," for which we carry a gun, we are aware of the possible legal dangers from those "enforcing the law." Just as the vast majority of citizens present us no physical danger, so the vast majority of LEOs present us no legal danger. However, we still carry the gun for the remote possibility that someone means us physical harm, and we carry a recorder for the remote possibility that a LEO means us legal harm.

However remote these eventualities are, we know that they do happen and have even happened to some of us. I, for one, was harassed for several hours by a Montgomery police officer who was ignorant of OC law and the restrictions of his power when he had no RAS of a crime. I wish I'd had a recorder. I now carry one all the time.

Some folks don't carry a gun until they've been attacked. Before carrying the gun, they might've called carriers "paranoid." After being attacked, they realize that a simple bit of preparation for a very real contingency is wisdom, not paranoia.

I hope that you are never legally attacked by a LEO. If you are, I hope that you have decided that carrying that bit of electronic protection is not paranoia, but wisdom.

I have been carring for 16 yrs with out a problem. Even been pulled over 100 miles from home and had it with me. It was no big deal. I think my job status has a big influence to. i know it got me out of a 79 mph in 55 mph ticket! lol
I know at least one city cop that would love to get his hands on me.
Its to much of a hassle for me to carry a recorder. working 3 jobs and living on a farm its the last pc of equiptment i need to worry about.
I understand all the consequences that can happen. I'm willing to to be punished for doing something that I know was right. I choose to live my life free and the way I want. I ride without a helmet. I wreck and die, so be it. its the way I want it to be.

eye95

And people carry for 16 years without being attacked. Should they stop carrying a gun because they have never been attacked?

Anyway, the analogy is out there. I hope someone reads it and gets it.

If you don't, I just hope you stop insulting people by calling them paranoid.

Moving on.

hogeaterf6

And people carry for 16 years without being attacked. Should they stop carrying a gun because they have never been attacked?

Anyway, the analogy is out there. I hope someone reads it and gets it.

If you don't, I just hope you stop insulting people by calling them paranoid.

Moving on.
I called myself paranoid.