• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com - Madison Five 911 caller told police “there’s no problem”

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Please subscribe to this column at http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-washington-dc/mike-stollenwerk

Please DIGG & REDDIT this article at http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...ive-911-caller-told-police-there-s-no-problem

SNIP

Last Saturday the Madison, WI police department responded to a 911 call about five men openly carrying holstered handguns near a Culver’s restaurant. . . . The police ultimately cuffed, searched, and charged two men who refused to provide ID with “obstruction of justice.” Days later “Madison Police North District Capt. Cameron McLay said he believes officers acted appropriately in responding to . . . the [911] caller's concern that something might happen.”

However the 911 call recording obtained by the Examiner.com pursuant to an Open Records Act request from Dane County does not support Capt. McLay’s characterization. The caller, Ms. Phyllis Micke, emphasized to the 911 dispatcher that the guns were in holsters, and that “there’s no problem” . . . [the men are] “just sitting there extremely relaxed.” . . .

Last edited:

J.Gleason

Banned
I think she should be charged for misuse of the 911 system since she openly admitted there was no emergency. <----Sarcasm

Thanks for the post Mike!

Last edited:

kawisixer01

I sure am glad that "the attorney general made that law just last year legalizing open carry." (forhead smack)
Boy this is getting more and more interesting by the day. I can't wait to see how this pans out....and how much back peddling MPD does. lol

Jason in WI

Wow, apologized for calling in after learning it's legal.

Well at least the 911 operator informed her, I think that's great.
If it stopped there it would be the exact response we all hope for.

Epic fail after that.

J.Gleason

Banned
Yeah I agree, then the dispatcher went on to create her own laws as to if someone carrying a firearm disturbed her, it then makes it actionable. Wow a dispatcher and a legislator all in one. I wonder how much the tax payers pay for that!

anmut

My wife and I listened to the call tonight and we both thought that this woman could have easily been her mom, my mother-in-law. I say kudos to the 911 operator for informing her. They way the call was handled and from what the the caller said, this should be a slam dunk.

PDinDetroit

Yes, this audio is Rock O' Gibraltar solid.

In light of this recent incident, I sincerely hope that a push ensues to get the "disturbance" portion of law removed from lawful exercise of rights. With the recent SCOTUS Decision in McDonald v. City Of Chicago, someone's emotional response cannot supersede lawful exercise of rights, especially carrying a handgun to provide for the Fundamental Right of Self-Defense.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Yeah I agree, then the dispatcher went on to create her own laws as to if someone carrying a firearm disturbed her, it then makes it actionable. Wow a dispatcher and a legislator all in one. I wonder how much the tax payers WILL pay for that!
I think you had a grammar error there Mr. Gleason. I corrected it for you.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Influencing a witness?

.... The caller, Ms. Phyllis Micke, emphasized to the 911 dispatcher that the guns were in holsters, and that “there’s no problem” . . . [the men are] “just sitting there extremely relaxed.” . . .

If we could only get the interview tape between the detectives and Mrs. Micke to find out how she got from,
"there's no problem"
to,
"She noted she felt somewhat "rattled" and also "felt uneasy" about the subjects having the handguns at the family restaurant. She went on to say that they all appeared calm, but noted "people who shoot up restaurants also look calm before it happens."
Aren't there laws to prevent influencing a witness' statement?

Rich B

If we could only get the interview tape between the detectives and Mrs. Micke to find out how she got from, to, Aren't there laws to prevent influencing a witness' statement?

I had the same thing happen in my case, except instead of detectives, the same officer I filed an IA complaint about the next day showed up later that day to gather more evidence for that investigation. No surprise that the statements from the night of my arrest and the statements the next day have many inconsistencies.

Hell, they even had one of the officers that I made the complaint about (the key player AFAIK) run the investigation.

protias

Wow, just wow at the dispatcher. Coercing the lady into saying these guys were "disturbing."

IcrewUH60

The dispatcher tells the 911 caller "[...] being armed in the city of Madison is just not a, you know, usual thing [...]"

So our problem is that it's just not usual enough? Hell, we can fix that!

Amazing.... look all the personal information that has been released to the public from the 911 recording. Her full name, cell phone and home phone and even her plate # and vehicle description. WOW. What if she was reporting gang activity? Something I will keep in mind if I ever have to dial 911.

mastiff69

Might i suggest that someone mention to the city counsel, that many of the Goldwing road riders that come to madison for the wing ding, own and carry firearms legally , and i for one will not be spending any of my money in Madison if wing ding comes back to madison i will go somewhere else that year.

Ps the Goldwing road rider association is headquartered in arizona.