• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Kudos to citizen who alerted the police.' Madison.com, not OpposingViews

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/opinion/mailbag/article_af96a2b4-c7c8-11df-a301-001cc4c03286.html
Madison-area residents should be grateful to the woman who asked police to investigate when men displayed guns at a Far East Side restaurant.

Although brandishing a loaded handgun in public is obviously provocative and dangerous, the State Journal reports that is not always a crime in and of itself. However, sometimes it is, and a citizen has no way to tell which gun flaunters are law violators or dangers to the community, and which ones want to demonstrate that they are protected under "open carry" rules and may be less dangerous.

Investigating gun incidents should be a higher police priority than virtually anything else except an actual violent crime already in progress. The police force has capable legal advisers to determine how to handle the situation without violating the rights of those carrying guns.

Citizens who value safety and public order and who witness gun display incidents owe it to the community to request immediate police investigation. Congratulations to the woman who did the right thing this time.

- Kenneth J. Doran, Madison

Rich B

How can you expect anyone to understand the difference when even LEOs don't understand the difference.

http://apbweb.com/forums/news-5/2-wi-carry-members-ticketed-43027/index10.html#post528644

Is it your assertion that the public is OK with Joe Citizen packing a gun at WalMart? Where is your "objective qualification?" I stand by my contention as being common sense. The public wants to feel safe, and they don't when they see what they perceive as untrained, unqualified persons brandishing a firearm. Cut it any way you want, but that's the truth of the matter.

And remember, that is from a Wisconsin LEO.

M

McX

someone pass the barf bucket on over to me once the line of you is finished with it

Old Grump

Well at least we will always know where Mr. Doran will stand. Facts have nothing to do with anything as long as he has his opinion. Must be wonderful to be on the left and know you are right even though you don't have a clue about anything. A mind clear of the facts is an untroubled mind and leads to a good digestion and the ability to sleep well in the midst of turmoil. Only a guess of course but I foresee a lot of lost sleep and much turmoil in his future in 38 days and beyond.

hardballer

This is not where we need to be expressing our ire. Try plastering the stupid commentary and our erudite comments along with it in public forums and on face book and you tube. That will at least have a chance of educating the ignorant public.

P.S. Not ripping on anyone here. Just sayin' so please don't take it personally. And if you do take offense, C'est la vie.

Old Grump

This is not where we need to be expressing our ire. Try plastering the stupid commentary and our erudite comments along with it in public forums and on face book and you tube. That will at least have a chance of educating the ignorant public.

P.S. Not ripping on anyone here. Just sayin' so please don't take it personally. And if you do take offense, C'est la vie.

What makes you think this is the only place I post? Or are you saying you don't want anybody to post here but you?

Spartacus

Banned
I agree with Hardballer.

Posting inflammatory rhetorical views, however useless to the issue in order to get attention and start a bickering war is counter-productive to our cause.

What do we care that some guy thinks OC is brandishing or the lady was right to call the cops? So what?